★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Parachute Panic 1.3 Is buying more lives ok?

10-22-2009, 06:34 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Parachute Panic 1.3 Is buying more lives ok?

Just saw that the new update lets you buy, through in app purchase, an upgrade of your lives to 10. Hopefully, the folks who buy the upgrade (I'm deliberately trying not to harsh on the type of people that would buy this instead of working to get better) are given their own high score table, didnt have time to check.

I guess I am all for game developers making money on the kind of folks that would buy this...as long as it doesnt corrupt the high score tables.

Discuss.

Currently addicted to Clash Royale
10-22-2009, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNJ View Post
Just saw that the new update lets you buy, through in app purchase, an upgrade of your lives to 10. Hopefully, the folks who buy the upgrade (I'm deliberately trying not to harsh on the type of people that would buy this instead of working to get better) are given their own high score table, didnt have time to check.

I guess I am all for game developers making money on the kind of folks that would buy this...as long as it doesnt corrupt the high score tables.

Discuss.
I agree with what you're saying, but i'm not sure I get "The Devil" reference.

Two guys walked into a bar. You think they would've seen it or something.

10-22-2009, 07:03 AM
Does it make your lives 10, or give you 10 more lives? There are some 360 games that do crap like this. "Buy this to get 300 gold, can only be purchased once". "Buy this to give all of your characters 10 levels, can only be purchased once". I hate crap like this, it shouldn't be allowed.
10-22-2009, 07:58 AM
A real gamer would never buy lives.....it's cheating.....If they don't make a seperate leaderboard I would delete the game.

Why not make it an option to have 3 or 10 lives ? Now were paying for options ?

Just make the app more expensive if you want to make more money but because people are so cheap, that's hard to do.

What's the point in buying lives?..................sheesh !!

How about buying your way to higher levels..........or to add 100,000 to your score...............

Last edited by cranker; 10-22-2009 at 08:01 AM.
10-22-2009, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirt Reynolds View Post
I agree with what you're saying, but i'm not sure I get "The Devil" reference.
lol, me neither, but I agree that it is not cool to "buy" your way into easier gaming...if you're just not that great at a game, well, then practice practice practice til you get better

...there's certainly a bunch of iphone games I really enjoy, but I am terrible at...I still enjoy playing them tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.
10-22-2009, 08:50 AM
Yeah, hopefully they get their own scoreboard if not I too think I might stop with this game as it completely invalidates the scores.

I also have to ASSUME this purchase means a permanent change to 10 lives or are you supposed to pay EACH TIME you want the extra lives?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
10-22-2009, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Yeah, hopefully they get their own scoreboard if not I too think I might stop with this game as it completely invalidates the scores.

I also have to ASSUME this purchase means a permanent change to 10 lives or are you supposed to pay EACH TIME you want the extra lives?
you would think you could assume that; otherwise, it would be more pay to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.
10-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Yeah the thread title is weak, I had only a few minutes before going to work, where I'm now posting from What I was trying to suggest with the title is a question: is this ok, or is it a sell out from the developer? In my mind, its OK if the buyers get a separate high score table, and a shameless sell out if they dont.

I share the opinions about the kind of person that would buy this. I mean, it might be one thing if a particular game had a super-cool last level, and you tried and tried but just couldnt get there, and are dying to see it. Its another thing to buy lives in a game like parachute panic, where getting a bit further doesnt change the fundamental game play.

Currently addicted to Clash Royale
10-22-2009, 09:56 AM
we wanted to give people who have trouble reaching the required scores to gain an additional life a chance to stock up their lives. this is pure optional and does not corrupt the highscores in any way.
no one who buys an extra life will ever become a real thread to the top listed players. if the same person manages to climb the leaderboards to the top, he sure would have managed someday wihtout the purchase as well

would you call someone that plays through a game with a walkthrough he/she has payed for is a cheater? certainly not...
if they learnt and use strategies they have payed for (e.g. strategy guides, clans, etc), should they get their own servers or are they called cheaters? certainly not...
would it be unfair (and cheating) if you can buy 15 lives in parachute panic but only unlock a maximum of 10 lives by playing? certainly, yes.

to answer your questions: yes, the purchase is permanent and will unlock a total of 10 lives in both easy and normal modes. nothing has changed with the leaderboards (thereīs still one for easy and for normal mode) and players having bought the lives are not marked.

this inapp purchase is not meant to offend gamers, but to give casuals a chance. think of it like the handicap at golf, thatīs not cheating either, but balancing different personīs abilities =)

philipp
FDG Entertainment

FDG Entertainment, home of Banana Kong, Oceanhorn, Blueprint 3d, Cover Orange series , Across Age Series, Parachute Panic, Beyond Ynth, Mahjong Elements, etc...
Follow us: Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, Personal Twitter
10-22-2009, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
we wanted to give people who have trouble reaching the required scores to gain an additional life a chance to stock up their lives. this is pure optional and does not corrupt the highscores in any way.
no one who buys an extra life will ever become a real thread to the top listed players. if the same person manages to climb the leaderboards to the top, he sure would have managed someday wihtout the purchase as well

would you call someone that plays through a game with a walkthrough he/she has payed for is a cheater? certainly not...
if they learnt and use strategies they have payed for (e.g. strategy guides, clans, etc), should they get their own servers or are they called cheaters? certainly not...
would it be unfair (and cheating) if you can buy 15 lives in parachute panic but only unlock a maximum of 10 lives by playing? certainly, yes.

to answer your questions: yes, the purchase is permanent and will unlock a total of 10 lives in both easy and normal modes. nothing has changed with the leaderboards (thereīs still one for easy and for normal mode) and players having bought the lives are not marked.

this inapp purchase is not meant to offend gamers, but to give casuals a chance. think of it like the handicap at golf, thatīs not cheating either, but balancing different personīs abilities =)

philipp
FDG Entertainment
I really have to question the logic of your initial statement. Why would you assume those in the top 10 wouldn't relish the chance to improve their chances with double the lives? Especially since it sounds like there won't be any indication with the score if this player was "enhanced"? Using your logic we shouldn't have to worry about steroids in professional sports since these are already the top professional players, surely they wouldn't need to artificially enhance themselves to get an edge, right?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews