★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Eye Strain and Neck Pain

03-22-2017, 03:07 PM
Eye Strain and Neck Pain

Hey folks! Odd place to ask but looking for some tips. I work in an office so I stare at a PC all day.

Lately I have been playing games on my iPhone to pass the time. I've noticed some eye strain type headaches and I'm curious if you all have tips for this, as mobile gamers.

I haven't really played much since Gameboy back in the day. I'm on an iPhone 6 if that matters.

Might sound cheesy, but figured this was a good place to ask

"Oh, no. I lose." -Mario
03-22-2017, 03:20 PM
Well, this may sound obvious, but try to take breaks from starring at any screen for too long. I have had similar issues and it usually helps me to get up/walk around/stretch things out after a while.

Edit: Also, good posture is important (probably obvious again). I tend to hunch over or slouch a lot & that can give me issues if I do it for too long.

Last edited by Jakeopp; 03-22-2017 at 03:27 PM.

03-22-2017, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeopp View Post
Well, this may sound obvious, but try to take breaks from starring at any screen for too long. I have had similar issues and it usually helps me to get up/walk around/stretch things out after a while.
No you're fine, I'm up for any advice. Just found it odd b/c I'm used to screens all day then gaming at home and I'm fine. I think maybe b/c I'm looking down or something.

"Oh, no. I lose." -Mario
03-22-2017, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gezoyte View Post
No you're fine, I'm up for any advice. Just found it odd b/c I'm used to screens all day then gaming at home and I'm fine. I think maybe b/c I'm looking down or something.
Did you just recently start having these issues after you started gaming on your phone?
03-22-2017, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeopp View Post
Did you just recently start having these issues after you started gaming on your phone?
Seems that way, but work is also more stressful than normal, so it could just be stress related.

"Oh, no. I lose." -Mario
03-22-2017, 07:45 PM
This should be in the 'Old Farts' threads! Lots of us are dealing with this! Or at some point we will to be sure! You use reading glasses to play with your device, and after extended periods of time you get fatigued and the screen gets blurry, and after you take your glasses off, EVERYTHING is blurry, you get a headache, and it takes a while to feel back to normal! Or take a nap! 😉I'm sure stress can be a factor, tiredness as well. Definitely age will be a factor though. I know this through personal experience! 😡 Just like everything else though, do things in moderation, take breaks, do something else for a bit and then come back. But you know you hear your device calling for you wanting attention, and you can't resist coming back as soon as you can!! LOL!!
03-23-2017, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrand1 View Post
This should be in the 'Old Farts' threads! Lots of us are dealing with this! Or at some point we will to be sure! You use reading glasses to play with your device, and after extended periods of time you get fatigued and the screen gets blurry, and after you take your glasses off, EVERYTHING is blurry, you get a headache, and it takes a while to feel back to normal! Or take a nap! 😉I'm sure stress can be a factor, tiredness as well. Definitely age will be a factor though. I know this through personal experience! 😡 Just like everything else though, do things in moderation, take breaks, do something else for a bit and then come back. But you know you hear your device calling for you wanting attention, and you can't resist coming back as soon as you can!! LOL!!
So it's pretty much because I'm a grumpy old man! GET OFF MY LAWN KIDS.

"Oh, no. I lose." -Mario
03-23-2017, 08:53 AM
I personally have a train wreck of a spine and lots of neck and head pains because of it. Probably the most useful treatment I've used is doing "range of motion" exercises for my neck. You can look it up on YouTube and find tons of videos showing you what and how to do them. its basically just stretching exercises you do while sitting in a chair but when I'm really hurting it makes all the difference.

Good luck my friend.
03-23-2017, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobriquet View Post
I personally have a train wreck of a spine and lots of neck and head pains because of it. Probably the most useful treatment I've used is doing "range of motion" exercises for my neck. You can look it up on YouTube and find tons of videos showing you what and how to do them. its basically just stretching exercises you do while sitting in a chair but when I'm really hurting it makes all the difference.

Good luck my friend.
On it. Thank you!!
03-24-2017, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobriquet View Post

Good luck my friend.
Finding that using the "range of motion technique" does help my neck and upper back region. Good info, thanks!