Universal Cat Stacks Fever: twitch reflex card game from Purple Pwny

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by nox_pp, Mar 22, 2017.

1. nox_pp

nox_pp Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    [​IMG]

Hello TouchArcade :) Our new reflex-based card stacking game, Cat Stacks Fever, is slated for release on April 12th. Our prior game, Yo to the Yo!, was featured on the App Store due in part to a very successful beta full of TA readers, so we're excited to extend beta invites to ya'll again in the hope of repeating that success.

[​IMG]

If you're interested in testing Cat Stacks Fever, just plop your email in this form. Beta starts March 27th and runs through the 31st. You can also sign up for the Combustion beta through the same form, but Cat Stacks Fever is our focus right now.

~DESCRIPTION~
    Cat Stacks Fever is a reflex-based card stacking game for people who like solitaire but lack patience.

Draw cat-themed cards from the deck and toss them into one of 4 stacks. It's as simple as that, except that there's a razor thin time limit and the deck is stacked full of bombs, shields, and other special cards that can either aid in your pursuit of a new high score or complicate it in an instant.

Enable every special card by reaching in-game milestones to unlock Expert Mode and compete on the global leaderboards.

~FEATURES~
    • • Play without a time limit in Zen Mode
    • • Up the ante with Expert Mode
    • • Super cute pixel art kitties (by Lux)
    • • 7 special cards to delight and irritate (Bomb, Shield, Seer, Blind, Freeze Time, Mix, Flip Screen)
    • • 4 deck designs to unlock, and more to come (Dogs, Aliens, Pizza, ????)
    • • Train your reflexes and pattern recognition. If there were ever a speed-based color and number matching competition, you would win.
    • • Awesomely vibeful lounge soundtrack by Jayster
    • • Cats have played this game for thousands of years.

2. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    On my radar since I first heard of it a few days ago.

3. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Signed up! This looks fantastic!!

4. nox_pp

nox_pp Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    #4 nox_pp, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Thanks for the interest :) FWIW I'm personally really happy with the game. I actually made a totally vanilla solitaire game, and then decided to fork the code and make a more fast-paced version as an experiment, and this is what came out. I call the underlying card game "twitch solitaire," and you can pretty much play it with real cards.

The music is also really good and I'm excited for everyone to hear it.

5. nox_pp

nox_pp Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Here are 3 deck designs from the game, with the basic/starter deck at the top, followed by aliens, and dogs.

[​IMG]

Lux held a little poll on Twitter to determine what deck she should make next. Pizza and Mermaid decks are tied at the moment, and the poll ends in a few mins :eek: So maybe we'll do both. If you have any ideas for decks you'd like to see, let us know! Some other decks that we have semi-planned are heavy metal, business cats, sports, and ballerinas.

6. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    Looks great!
    I am very excited to test this
    I love card games

7. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    Today's the day?

8. nox_pp

nox_pp Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Should've been, but termites decided to start crawling out of our kitchen walls yesterday so had to postpone it for a day :eek:

Invites were sent this morning! This build of the game includes the new pizza deck (personal fave so far):

[​IMG]

I'll push a new build later this week w/ zen mode and expert mode enabled. In the meantime, we're working on a super sick trailer/opening cutscene :)

9. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    So far, it's great and no bugs.

Is there any chance of a portrait mode, and a drag and drop option?
    This would be a great one-handed game.

Looking toward to your developments and unlocking the decks and other cards

10. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Thanks for the TestFlight invite.. looking for checking it out

11. teokaiyangmaster

teokaiyangmaster New Member

Mar 25, 2017
    Overall pretty good hope it keeps up this way#

12. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    Unlocked the bomb just now.
    So when this card comes up, do I actually have any choice but to hit it?
    Or is there supposed to be a way to draw another card or avoid it?

13. nox_pp

nox_pp Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Yeah, just don't hit it :p If you don't hit it it will automatically discard itself. Time is paused until it discards. Also, shield blocks it if you do tap it by accident.

w.r.t. portrait mode + drag n' drop: I'd consider them both in a later update. You're the second person to mention the drag n' drop.

14. teokaiyangmaster

Mar 25, 2017
    Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you think the milestones thing sure be more like gather enough point to get a different card to play with to cater to nooner and slobbier players. Just my opinion also yeah it totally a good one handed game

15. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    Thanks, that would be great!

16. nox_pp

nox_pp Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    I don't understand what you're saying exactly, but the intent of the milestones is to give players a reason to play over a number of sessions, instead of just being done with the game after playing it once. The way it's set up right now, I think you can unlock all of the milestones in 2-4 hours of gameplay, depending on how good you are at the game, which is at least a few "days" of gameplay for most mobile gamers.

Also, the milestone skips are free in the beta if you want to try all of the cards :)

17. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    Zen mode is nice, but needs something.
    Not sure what. Like, maybe docking points for something, or a way to lose still, just without he rush?

18. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    No way to join now dang

19. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Excellent game so far but so stressful ^^ I like it tho but maybe you could add different mode like easy, normal and hard. Could play the Zen mode yet but I'm definitely enjoying it! Also hold and drag would feel better.

20. teokaiyangmaster

Mar 25, 2017
    I think zen mode is pretty nice after playing through it.less stressful than normal. Also is the zen mode points suppose to effect the milestones you reach?