★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Getting featured on App Store

03-22-2017, 10:45 PM
Getting featured on App Store

I heard the criteria to get featured is

20% - connection
80% - good app/game

True or false?
03-24-2017, 03:54 AM
My 2 cents :
Our studio has released 5 games. We are a small french indie studio, and we mainly produce educational video game for kids (but I insist on the VIDEO GAME part of my sentence )
Our first game was released ad featured quicky by Apple in the US Education category. Second was a big fail (no feature = no sales). Third one was featured in Brazil, Europe. And most interesting, our fourth game (a free game about saving the environment) was featured by Apple in the US + their Twitter account and Facebook page.
So what I think (but I would love to hear from others) is
60% quality of your game (because let's be honest, sometimes the featured apps are quite horrible or bad copies of successful games)
30% connection with Apple (if you can contact them that's obviously better, also for organizing featured games)
10% chance and time-to-market

++

03-26-2017, 03:43 PM
Games and apps get featured for a variety of reasons. There is no strict criteria, but the following will all help improve your chances

- you have a great game (pretty much mandatory)
- your game supports "standard" platform features like Gamecenter and Metal
- your game supports "new" platform features like Stickers and Replaykit
- your game is widely localized
- your game is relevant to current trends or App Store promotions
- you have an established relationship with Apple
03-26-2017, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanessakiupe View Post
My 2 cents :
Our studio has released 5 games. We are a small french indie studio, and we mainly produce educational video game for kids (but I insist on the VIDEO GAME part of my sentence )
Our first game was released ad featured quicky by Apple in the US Education category. Second was a big fail (no feature = no sales). Third one was featured in Brazil, Europe. And most interesting, our fourth game (a free game about saving the environment) was featured by Apple in the US + their Twitter account and Facebook page.
So what I think (but I would love to hear from others) is
60% quality of your game (because let's be honest, sometimes the featured apps are quite horrible or bad copies of successful games)
30% connection with Apple (if you can contact them that's obviously better, also for organizing featured games)
10% chance and time-to-market

++
For the bolded statement, do you have proof? I seldom browse the App Store front page anymore (used to do that in the old days). I do try some of the featured games (free ones) but so far they're all good.
03-26-2017, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikPok View Post
Games and apps get featured for a variety of reasons. There is no strict criteria, but the following will all help improve your chances

- you have a great game (pretty much mandatory)
- your game supports "standard" platform features like Gamecenter and Metal
- your game supports "new" platform features like Stickers and Replaykit
- your game is widely localized
- your game is relevant to current trends or App Store promotions
- you have an established relationship with Apple
Thanks for your pointers. But wow METAL? really? I never think about new platform features when I make games.
I guess it does make sense. Using Apple's new features is like lobbying them for ur game.
03-27-2017, 01:45 AM
How do you establish a relationship with Apple? Isn't that.. difficult especially if you don't personally know anyone working for Apple.
03-27-2017, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocotilos View Post
For the bolded statement, do you have proof? I seldom browse the App Store front page anymore (used to do that in the old days). I do try some of the featured games (free ones) but so far they're all good.
I remember some time ago when there was Flappy Bird or Toca Boca copies featured, it really was disturbing to me.
In the kids category (which is my core category), a lot of apps are really not the best games made for kids. It may depends on the appstores (I am in France) but featuring beauty surgery apps for kids is not really what I call a great thing

However, it takes all sorts to make a world (is that correct btw ?).

++
03-27-2017, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocotilos View Post
Thanks for your pointers. But wow METAL? really? I never think about new platform features when I make games.
I guess it does make sense. Using Apple's new features is like lobbying them for ur game.
Indeed, each time we submit a game, Apple asks us which one of their new features is integrated in the game... Good point !
03-27-2017, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyaawai View Post
How do you establish a relationship with Apple? Isn't that.. difficult especially if you don't personally know anyone working for Apple.
Usually they will reach out if you have a high quality game. Sort of a chicken and egg scenario though.
03-27-2017, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyaawai View Post
here's what we tried to do while preparing for our exclusive App Store launch (a controversial plus that adds to the chances of getting featured if you're releasing only on one platform first):

- try scanning LinkedIN with keywords like 'Apple', 'App Store', 'review', since there's a special team now that reviews the games that are submitted to the store. When you find the appropriate person, check out his/her profile there might be a working email you can send your game pitch.
- send your game pitch to marcomreview@apple.com (marketing assets: screenshots, raw materials, characters, title, something they can make promo images of) or appstorepromotion@apple.com (for them to consider your app for featuring). We sent this email 1,5 week prior to the date of the official release when the game had been already reviewed and was placed 'waiting developers review' mentioning the app ID and exact size screenshots that apple require.

We tend to think that our email to the second email address helped to get our game featured on New Games We Love a week after the official release. We even got a reply from apple team, that someone will contact us later.

Last edited by AdoreGames; 03-27-2017 at 07:38 PM. Reason: grammar