Nano Rally II

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Sauce Digital, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Sauce Digital

Sauce Digital Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Hi Folks

I'd like to let you know that I have started work in ernest on Nano Rally II.

I'm hoping to use Kickstarter.com to fund the development - along with another few games at the same time. Check out the pre-launch page here:

Pixamo

Here are some shots:

NanoRallyTwo1.jpg
    NanoRallyTwo3.jpg
    NanoRallyTwo4.jpg

If you dont remember Nano Rally, here is an (old!) video:
    (Check out the iPhone 3G, its almost retro!)

2. wondroushippo

wondroushippo 👎🏻carter👎🏻
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 4, 2010
    Male
    Ex-TA, now I do PR
    San Antonio, TX
    Nano Rally 2 sounds cool, I'm kinda meh on crowdfunding, but here's some free consulting: to be completely blunt, your distribution idea is terrible:

HOW BACKERS WILL RECEIVE THE GAMES

When each game is released we will contact all backers to let them know. The games, and any in app purchases will be free for 48 hours, which will allow backers to download at no cost.

We have spoken to Apple. This is the only way they allow distribution of free apps in return for financial contributions outside of their system. Their rules dictate that developers cannot give away alternate versions, private unlock codes, or Apple promo codes in return for money (this includes kickstarter pledges).

This does mean a few dedicated people, who spy the games have launched, might get a free ride. However we took the decision that this is better than run the risk of Apple rejecting the games outright and backers loosing out completely.

It will not be possible to download free versions of the games outside of this windows.

HOW BACKERS WILL UNLOCK EXCLUSIVE CONTENT

Much like the games, special content will be made free for the first 48 hours. During this time, backers will be able to unlock the content via an in app purchase that have been set to free.

After this 48 hr period the content will be set to $999.99

It will not be possible to unlock the special content after this initial window.

This is only going to lead to heartbreak and drama. First off, people will find the free releases. This is TouchArcade, people are monitoring the new releases to see if there's gonna be freebies. And saying you're doing so for a whole bunch of games is a sure way to get people to keep an eye on when your games are releasing just so they can get them for free. I recall this happening with Fist of Awesome in particular. People found it when it was free for backers and I'm sure it hurt Nicoll Hunt's sales. I absolutely do not recommend it to anyone else.

And then what happens if a backer isn't around to get the extras in that 48 hour window? Sure, there's a possibility that you could have enough IAP promo codes for those who miss out, but that's still kinda hoping for a lot to go your way.

There's a reason why crowdfunding generally doesn't happen for iOS games, and one big reason is that you can't get iOS rewards out there because of Apple's policies. They're bad policies but you have to work with them, and I'd suggest massively re-evaluating your business plan here because you're setting yourself up for a world of hurt.

I'm not trying to be mean, it's just that this is like a giant Katamari of things that could go wrong quite easily.

I really do hope Nano Rally 2 comes to fruition somehow.

3. Sauce Digital

Sauce Digital Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Hi wondroushippo,

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

This such a sore point for me, I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Unfortunately I had spent a lot of time on planning this before I discovered this policy - well at least its effect on Kickstarter projects.

I had to decide whether to stop, or make the best of it.

I thought making it plainly obvious to people was the way to go, so they could decide not to take the risk if they didn't want to. It would reduce the number of backers, but also potential disappointment.

Do you not think letting people know at the outset is enough?

Morgan