★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: "Hive for the iPhone: brilliant fun." - (Credit: Scott Stein/CNET) ... NEW PRICING Feb 1. Many thanks for making us "What's Hot" in January !

"Hive offers diverse gameplay, encompassing single-player action, two-player action (sharing one phone), and four different tile sets. 8/10" - brickroll.com

Lotusland Studios is proud to present the official version of John Yianni's award winning game Hive.

Hive is a board game with a difference. There is no board! The pieces are added to the playing area thus creating the board. As more and more pieces are added the game becomes a fight to see who can be the first to capture the opposing Queen Bee.

The soldier ants battle to keep control of the outside of the hive, whilst the Beetles climb up to dominate the top. Spiders moving into holding positions as the Grasshoppers jump in for the kill. Keeping one eye on the hive and the other on your opponents reserves, the tension builds as one wrong move will see your Queen Bee quickly engulfed; .... game over!

Hive's unique gameplay is suitable for players of all ages. The game is quickly learned but hard to master like other classic games of its genre. Interface elements clearly indicating where a player may move or place their pieces makes this version easier for the novice to learn than the tabletop version, and players without a partner will be challenged by the AI opponent.

Hive is a beautiful 3D game that allows the player to choose from different sets of pieces and different colored backgrounds. While Hive is not traditionally played on a board, users may display a hex grid to aid their visualization of the game's possibilities and movements.

This version of Hive includes the Mosquito, a parasitic new Hive piece that takes on the abilities of its neighbors. Use your Mosquito cleverly as an extra Ant, Beetle or Spider. Tournament rules forbidding placement of the Queen Bee as the first move are also an option for each game.

The single player mode features four levels of difficulty, including a beginner setting that will not overwhelm new players of this game. As the player defeats each level, the next is unlocked.

Two players can also play each other using one device. Now the game without a board can be played without a table!

Hive's four tile sets include a wooden set with the official Hive 2nd Edition artwork, a plastic set with the official Hive 3rd Edition artwork, a third set designed by LotusLand Studios, and a high contrast black and white 'Carbon' set designed for outdoor play.

The game's soundtrack is by John Tennant, including the tracks 'Depths','TypeCaste' and two exclusive remixes of 'Project of Science' from the album 'Early Ambient Works'. Users may also listen to their own music library when playing Hive; the game will not start its own music if music is already playing.
10-22-2009, 10:33 PM
You can try Hanto's lite version to see if you like this type of game.

10-22-2009, 10:37 PM
You got to be kidding me!!!

GEESH! Finally!

Well, at first glance, it sure ain't purdy like "Hanto" Hive clone app, but I caught a LOT of flak from the members over at gameboardgeek.com for propagating Hanto and defending the dev, who did such a polished job, but without John's permission.

I gave my word I'd buy this version (I own the table version with the mosquito expansion, highly recommended when your hand is board holding an iPhone

So, I'll give some impressions later here. I really had high hopes for this, so we'll see! John Tennent music with exclusive tracks is a definite plus!

Tho *(here we go!)* it DOES seem a bit... er, dare I say it... STEEP in price....

Last edited by Dark NRG; 10-22-2009 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Kudo's Dave! beat me before I get the chance to look it up ;)
10-22-2009, 10:40 PM
The icon is the original logo http://www.hivemania.com/ but it sure could look better for a $4.99 game.
10-23-2009, 12:20 AM
Crazy ...waited this long for this? Hmmm have to stick with Hanto I think. Wish they could have struck a deal but it is what it is. Great game like I said I've bought 4 or 5 $22 Hives from thoughthammer myself and love it but $5 or $1 Hanto...I'll be content with Hanto.
10-23-2009, 12:28 AM
LOL I was TRYING to be nice

Gameboardgeek members even came to TA and looked up my posts where I supposedly bashed John Yanni, tho it was completely taken out of context

I didn't download it yet. That "5 min to kill" is callin my name.
What to do, what to do, decisions decisions decisions.....
10-23-2009, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by Dark NRG View Post
LOL I was TRYING to be nice
I would give it a month and see if it goes on sale.
10-23-2009, 12:32 AM
what makes this game worth $5??
10-23-2009, 12:36 AM
Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624 Send a message via MSN to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Yahoo to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Skype™ to applesauce25r624
uhh there's a lite, try it

.(>^_^).> <3 <3 <3 ! ! !
10-23-2009, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by applesauce25r624 View Post
uhh there's a lite, try it
Of HIVE? I'd like to see the link, 'cause I don't see one.

@Lovetospoon: its a great table tile game made of bakelite for $30, but how do such board game apps translate onto the iphone? Its up to the creativity of the dev.

And Hanto Dev NAILED it, imo.

Last edited by Dark NRG; 10-23-2009 at 01:00 AM. Reason: clarified $30 "table" game