★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

The best sites, other than TA of course, to buy add space on?

10-22-2009, 10:40 PM
The best sites, other than TA of course, to buy add space on?

My first game, Rummage, is on the tail end a decent run this week after getting featured in "New and Noteworthy." I'm looking to take some of the dough from this weeks sales and reinvesting in ad space... but some of the pricing is just outrageous!

Other than TA, which I'm definitely going to look into more advertising on, what are the best sites to buy add space on? I'm looking for $80-$100 monthly range.

Last edited by cfreshmedia; 10-22-2009 at 11:35 PM.
10-22-2009, 11:49 PM
Send a message via MSN to MindJuice Send a message via Skype™ to MindJuice
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfreshmedia View Post
My first game, Rummage, is on the tail end a decent run this week after getting featured in "New and Noteworthy." I'm looking to take some of the dough from this weeks sales and reinvesting in ad space... but some of the pricing is just outrageous!

Other than TA, which I'm definitely going to look into more advertising on, what are the best sites to buy add space on? I'm looking for $80-$100 monthly range.
I've advertised Charmed on AppModo.com, TouchArcade.com and now PocketGamer.co.uk.

I've spent $500 so far in ads, and have had basically zero results from all three ads, even now that they are running simultaneously. I've been using bit.ly to track my clicks, so I can see the day-by-day changes.

PocketGamer gave the most clicks in a single day with 70, but that quickly fell to 50, then 30, then 17.

Oddly on the day when I got 50 clicks, my sales DROPPED from 12 to 2! Not sure what to make of that. Does that mean people were planning to buy Charmed, but then after seeing the ad decided against it?

Another weird thing. The 9 days BEFORE my ad on PocketGamer, Charmed sold an average of 10.3 copies per day. The 9 days AFTER my ad went live, I sold an average of 8.4 copies per day.

You might gain a bit of awareness about your game with these small ads, but don't expect to make your money back. It's unlikely. In fact, the PocketGamer ad guy told me that it is unreasonable to expect the ad to pay for itself. He said that it's just not the way advertising normally works. I thought that sounded silly, but it appears to be true in my case.

10-23-2009, 12:46 AM
Thats not how advertising normally works!? I don't get that. How is it supposed to work then? Thats kinda discouraging.

Charmed looks very nice visually. Great polish. I don't see why clicking on it would turn people off.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has an advertising success story.
10-23-2009, 01:25 AM
Quote:
Thats not how advertising normally works!? I don't get that. How is it supposed to work then? Thats kinda discouraging.
The theory is that it's less about direct click through and more about brand awareness. After seeing reviews + ads + twitters + facebook + app promotion (if you're lucky) it's built up enough awareness that when they see it on the store they decide it's worth it to buy it.

It's up to you if you buy into the theory, but I do know that one or two ads won't do anything. It really needs to be a more significant and far reaching approach.
10-23-2009, 02:40 AM
Send a message via MSN to MindJuice Send a message via Skype™ to MindJuice
Quote:
Charmed looks very nice visually. Great polish. I don't see why clicking on it would turn people off.
Me either, which has led me to believe that advertising for iPhone games with a small budget is a waste of money.

For me, the stranger thing is that these websites are directly targeted at our core audience of iPhone gamers. If these guys aren't buying games, then who is?

Perhaps we need to be advertising on more mainstream non-gaming sites. Those guys seem to charge much higher rates though. Wired wanted $18 CPM which seemed just crazy to me.

When I told them that it was too expensive, they offered a "deal" which they claimed was perfect for a small iPhone game developer. They offered 1,250,000 impressions of a text-only ad on reddit.com over a one month period for the bargain price of $10,000!

Clearly we are not on the same page!
10-23-2009, 07:10 AM
I think advertising is a really tricky issue and you have to pick sites carefully. I was checking out a game on YouTube which seems to have been advertised on a massively popular but totally non-gaming site. Result is that the game has reached a very wide potential customer-base but generated a lot of stupid and unhelpful comments which I think may have backfired on the dev to some extent. The game is Stunt Driver & it's had more than 49,000 YouTube views which you would normally expect to see when something is a huge hit. Just my humble, non-expert opinion...
10-23-2009, 08:11 AM
Do you guys target bloggers at all?
After all, if you google for iphone / ipod touch and find some good blogs then won't others? A few promo codes for a review couldn't hurt could it? And the potential to spread the word is better than throwing them into the forum here.
10-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Do not advertise! You will lost your money.
10-23-2009, 10:59 AM
I've been pretty aggressive on multiple forums, starting threads when Rummage either had an update come out or if it got reviewed. I will definitely continue doing that, cause each thread normally gets 50 - couple hunderd views depending on the forum. How many of those folk buy, who knows. But like Pamx mentioned that one getting 49000 views! Thats insane! Even if 1% of the folks that checked it out bought, thats still big. Man... we're fighting for that 1%!!? Its crazy.
10-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamx View Post
I think advertising is a really tricky issue and you have to pick sites carefully. I was checking out a game on YouTube which seems to have been advertised on a massively popular but totally non-gaming site. Result is that the game has reached a very wide potential customer-base but generated a lot of stupid and unhelpful comments which I think may have backfired on the dev to some extent. The game is Stunt Driver & it's had more than 49,000 YouTube views which you would normally expect to see when something is a huge hit. Just my humble, non-expert opinion...
Pamx those 49,000 views were thanks to my younger brother who happens to be a youtube star. He just put it on his channel for a few days. Unfortunately however many of his fans are teenage girls who don't play iPhone games.