★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Should Dev's Charge For Lite Versions?

12-29-2008, 04:43 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Should Dev's Charge For Lite Versions?

One of the games that I've looked at on the AppStore a couple of time over the past week or so is Westlake Interactives 'Aim For The Brain'. It does seem like just a basic Whack-A-Mole style game with Zombies in, but to be honest, I'd buy pretty much anything if it had a zombie in it (no, I don't have Zombie Mansion, but I don't care what people say, those things are NOT zombies).

Anyway I noticed that a 'Lite' version of AFTB has just been released on the AppStore. Naturally, I though it was a perfect chance to give the game a try, seen as how there don't seem to be any video's of the game anywhere. And then I noticed that they are charging 59p for the Lite version. The Lite version does feature a new level not available in the Full version, but wouldn't it be fair of Devs to alllow people who purchased the Lite version (as in 'payed' for it) to update to the full version at a discount price, rather than having to purchase two versions of the same game. So basically, if I want to play the 'real' full game, I have to purchase the full version as well as the Lite version which has an exclusive level.

I know it seems that I'm being a bit tight not wanting to pay a measly 59p, but in comparison to other Devs who are charging that for a full game, it just seems a little unfair.

Anyway, let me know what you think on the subject.
12-29-2008, 04:44 PM
AFAIK, there's no mechanism to allow for certain groups of people to "ugprade" for X dollars after purchasing a lite version.

12-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624 Send a message via MSN to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Yahoo to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Skype™ to applesauce25r624
seems ridiculous

.(>^_^).> <3 <3 <3 ! ! !
12-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624 Send a message via MSN to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Yahoo to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Skype™ to applesauce25r624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post
AFAIK, there's no mechanism to allow for certain groups of people to "ugprade" for X dollars after purchasing a lite version.
apple would lose precious money

.(>^_^).> <3 <3 <3 ! ! !
12-29-2008, 04:45 PM
I don't care if devs do or not, but I'm not paying for a lite version no matter what...

"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"- The master himself, Dr. Seuss
12-29-2008, 05:02 PM
I wouldn't pay a cent for a lite version of anything. That's like asking if you would pay for a demo. Those words both mean free to me. Once I am paying it is neither!
12-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Well it's part of the strategy of releasing the game in several volumes. Usually it goes Lite ($0) Small (50%) and Full (100%). But I guess it's possible to release the lite for .99 or something and then the full for more. People that pay for and really REALLY love the lite would maybe buy the full. But people like me will never pay for a lite version. So I personally think it's a waste of time. But if they make ANY amount of sales on a lite version than it's nothing but profit for them.
12-29-2008, 05:19 PM
I move BurnBallLite between free and 99c sometimes. People buy it at 99c, although the times I've done it it's been because I've wanted people to look at the full version rather than download the lite.

I'm not confident Apple has given devs a way to take the Lite version off the shop easily without having to get it revalidated to put it back on. If there was a way, I'd probably do that instead.

Even though BurnBall full edition has a 4 star average rating, conversions from lite to full are less than half a percent..
12-29-2008, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
I wouldn't pay a cent for a lite version of anything. That's like asking if you would pay for a demo. Those words both mean free to me. Once I am paying it is neither!
It depends entirely on the developer if the Lite version is a demo or not. Apple's guidelines are that a Lite version is a full-featured standalone application. (As opposed to a nagging time-limited teaser.)

But since the public perception of Lite versions is that they should be free, a smart developer simply releases the smaller version with a different name that omits the word "Lite" and then everybody's happy.
12-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Well of course you can't look at every lite version download as a lost sale for the full version. I download almost every free lite version I come across in hopes that I will bump into a real gem. But if the lite version costs anything I always pass unless it's a game I am very interested in. Then I will just buy the full right away.