★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Good RPGs that have a solid playtime?

04-15-2017, 10:04 PM
#1
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Right behind you
Posts: 1,516
Good RPGs that have a solid playtime?

Looking for a good RPG (preferably paid) that has a good playtime (20+ hours). I already own The Quest and QuestLord I don't like adventure books or anything similar. I prefer open-world or open ended adventuring

Thanks!

Last edited by TheBeastlyNinja; 04-15-2017 at 10:15 PM.
04-16-2017, 03:16 AM
#2
Joined: Dec 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 903
If you like that first-person RPG style, I'd vote for Legend of Grimrock. Probably the best around in that genre. Seven Mages is also worth a shout. Slightly shonkier but still enjoyable are the two Aralon games.

There are also the Bioware ports. Knights of the Old Republic, Baldurs Gate, etc. Big WRPGs, high production values.

Other open-world RPGs worth checking out are the two SpiderWeb series, Avernum and Avadon, or the indie ARPGs 9th Dawn I and II.

For something completely different, I will never fail to recommend The World Ends With You. It's just not like any other RPG.

2017 GOTY nominations: SAO: Memory Defrag, Death Road to Canada
Switch ID: Krillin 5948-6652-1589

04-16-2017, 06:36 AM
#3
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 129
I'd have to add:

Titan Quest
Final Fantasy (all)
Dragon Quest (all)
Chaos Rings (all)
Adventure of Mana
Romancing Saga 2
Dragons Odyssey Frane
Ys Chronicles 1 & 2
Lunar Silver Star Story Touch
Shadowrun
The World Ends With You

There should be something there that you can go from

This was just off the top of my head. I'll add more, as I think of them
04-16-2017, 08:23 AM
#4
Joined: Nov 2014
Location: Eos
Posts: 2,465
Mariko named all the best ones
Romancing Saga 2 is very very good don't let the price throw you off so much playtime in this one
04-16-2017, 09:13 AM
#5
Joined: Dec 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariko View Post
I'd have to add:

Titan Quest
Final Fantasy (all)
Dragon Quest (all)
Chaos Rings (all)
Adventure of Mana
Romancing Saga 2
Dragons Odyssey Frane
Ys Chronicles 1 & 2
Lunar Silver Star Story Touch
Shadowrun
The World Ends With You

There should be something there that you can go from

This was just off the top of my head. I'll add more, as I think of them
These are all great, but perhaps only Titan Quest has the open-world feel, like the OP asked for! That said, I'd take a Square Enix RPG any day.

2017 GOTY nominations: SAO: Memory Defrag, Death Road to Canada
Switch ID: Krillin 5948-6652-1589
04-16-2017, 09:28 AM
#6
If you like those old school dungeon crawlers, Undercroft is pretty good and it's free with no iap. Just one ad at the very beginning. It's pretty old and hasn't been updated for quite awhile but it still plays ok.

Last edited by RHess00; 04-16-2017 at 10:32 AM.
04-16-2017, 10:08 AM
#7
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Right behind you
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHess00 View Post
If you like those old school dungeon crawlers, Undercroft is pretty good and it's free with no iap. Just one add at the very beginning. It's pretty old and hasn't been updated for quite awhile but it still plays ok.
Interestingly enough, I was a beta tester for that game way back when haha
04-16-2017, 11:22 AM
#8
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangutanKungfu View Post
These are all great, but perhaps only Titan Quest has the open-world feel, like the OP asked for! That said, I'd take a Square Enix RPG any day.
True, there just aren't a lot of open world RPGs for iOS, unfortunately.

I Forgot to put Nimian Legends : Brightridge HD on the list. Even though it's constantly evolving, it's still a great open world title. It's definitely one of the best looking iOS games, if not the best.
04-16-2017, 02:14 PM
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangutanKungfu View Post
If you like that first-person RPG style, I'd vote for Legend of Grimrock. Probably the best around in that genre. Seven Mages is also worth a shout. Slightly shonkier but still enjoyable are the two Aralon games.

There are also the Bioware ports. Knights of the Old Republic, Baldurs Gate, etc. Big WRPGs, high production values.

Other open-world RPGs worth checking out are the two SpiderWeb series, Avernum and Avadon, or the indie ARPGs 9th Dawn I and II.

For something completely different, I will never fail to recommend The World Ends With You. It's just not like any other RPG.
Shonkier?
04-16-2017, 02:41 PM
#10
Joined: Dec 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothecollapse View Post
Shonkier?
Shonky means slightly rough round the edges. British slang. The Aralon games are still well worth a look though.

2017 GOTY nominations: SAO: Memory Defrag, Death Road to Canada
Switch ID: Krillin 5948-6652-1589