Is there really a problem?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Cinnabar, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Cinnabar

Cinnabar Member

Feb 24, 2015
    indie game dev.
    The Hague, NL
    Hey there. I'm indie developer and made game that is for me personally a success. Got a reasonable amount of downloads and people give a "ok" rating. But... That only counts for android. On android I got around 800-1000 new users a day and on IOS its 15-25. That is a huge difference. The game is the same, the app description is also the same and the average rating on ios is even a little bit higher (based on those few reviews).

So my question, what can be wrong? Are user of IOS user really that different? Are the app-stores really different so that they don't find the game? Is there something inherently wrong with the app itself?

If anybody has some advice, tips or own experience. Please share.

(Oh, the game is called "Hunter Legacy")

2. Zq7r

Zq7r Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2016
    My guess is that you are getting more eyeballs on android than ios. Who knows why.

3. Cinnabar

Cinnabar Member

Feb 24, 2015
    indie game dev.
    The Hague, NL
    Yeh I guess so, But do you have any experiences with that? or better, how to deal/resolve this?

4. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    A minor featuring at launch may have boosted your ranking enough to have some visibility somewhere?
    An Android-focused blog / Youtuber may have picked up your game and promoted it?

Any number of a half a dozen reasons could have promoted one version over the other. Were they launched at the same time? Are they advertised anywhere? It's impossible for outsiders to know, and very difficult for a dev to know if the reason is "dumb luck" or some other outside influence.

5. Cinnabar

Cinnabar Member

Feb 24, 2015
    indie game dev.
    The Hague, NL
    Well, they launched at the same time and had a similar campaign. Also they were launched already some time back. Indeed there are many reasons that can influence, but assumed these were minor. But such a big difference, has to come from somewhere? I believe it's somewhere in the ASO. What ASO element made the big difference for you guys? Also do you have good ios boosting strategy (for an indie?)

6. Jean pierre

Jean pierre Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2017
    Maybe it is because of the minimum IOS version requirement.