★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

New iPad 2017,infuriating stuttering in ALL games.

04-18-2017, 02:47 PM
New iPad 2017,infuriating stuttering in ALL games.

EDIT - More people are now seeing something similar https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7909898

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today i purchased the new iPad that was released in March.

However,i'm having problems - infuriating stuttering across all games,every 6 or so seconds (haven't noticed it on the home screen,or non-gaming use).

I already own an iPad Mini & iPad Air & this stuttering doesn't happen on those,so i know something isn't right.

The iPad was setup as new,nothing on it.So backup is ruled out.

I'm at a loss at what is causing this,whether it's IOS 10.3,some setting or hardware problem ...I don't know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by retrogamOR; 04-25-2017 at 07:48 AM.
04-18-2017, 03:44 PM
Purely guesswork, but my guess would be that either there's a hardware issue with your iPad or it's still setting itself up internally. It could be downloading photos or something like that.

04-19-2017, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancj View Post
Purely guesswork, but my guess would be that either there's a hardware issue with your iPad or it's still setting itself up internally. It could be downloading photos or something like that.
Hi,thanks for trying to help.

I'm at a loss at what was causing it.I tried it without a internet connection & it was still the same.Spoke to Apple,they seem to think it was a software issue & wanted me to do a reset via iTunes (didn't work).

Got a replacement coming today.Hopefully this problem isn't related to the new model of iPad,because compared to my old iPad AIR,the lag/stuttering in-game is awful,making games like Geometry Dash almost unplayable
04-19-2017, 05:47 AM
Hhmm, does that new model have a new graphics chip, too?
If yes, my first guess is that
a) iOS isn't optimised for it yet
b) Games need to change/optimise a bit for the new chip
c) Worst case: there's something fundamentally wrong with that chip. Doesn't happen often, but you still get hardware bugs like this now and then. (anyone remember the A20 Gate problems way back when?)

That your specific device is defective would be last thing on my list, actually

Almost forgot: did you search around already? If it's a general issue, it should be all over the place by now.
04-19-2017, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullzone View Post
Almost forgot: did you search around already? If it's a general issue, it should be all over the place by now.
It has the A9 chip,the same as the 6s & 6s Plus.

I looked all over the net for anyone seeing the same thing.Even checked videos on youtube.Came up with nothing

There doesn't seeem to be a lot of info on the gaming performance of this new iPad.Those that mention it seem to be focusing on 3d/polygon based games,where this problem is less apparent,though still noticeable.

It's really noticable in 2d type games,with vertical or horizontal scrolling.This effect is visable in all games i've tried.
04-19-2017, 08:03 AM
Interesting, it does have the same graphics chip as iPhone 6s and 6s+ .
I searched around a bit, and couldn't find anything specific to that new iPad model either.

However, I found A LOT of references to stuttering in general.
Google for something like "iphone 6s stutter" AND limit the search range to 2017 only, that gave me the most interesting results.
I specifically want to highlight these two:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...light.2040204/
http://discourse.urho3d.io/t/frequen...s-devices/2831

Another thing I came across quite frequently is that the first week or so (depending on how much stuff you have stored) a new iThingie is busy with syncing, indexing, downloading data (especially photos) from iCloud, etc.
--> if you don't have anything stored on iCloud that could get synced back, ignore that part.

If you get the same problem on your replacement:
Do you know someone who has an iPhone 6(S/+) or your iPad 2017, so you can compare if they have the same issue? Or maybe you can check that in a store, if you have a friendly one nearby.
As well, I'd ask on TA's Discord, if anyone wants to test/compare.

Also, nitpick: The A9 is the processor, not the graphics chip: that's a PowerVR 7XT GT7600 in there
04-19-2017, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullzone View Post

Also, nitpick: The A9 is the processor, not the graphics chip: that's a PowerVR 7XT GT7600 in there
Ah sorry,my bad.

Thanks for the links & search tips,much appreciated.I really hope this isn't a problem with all the new iPads.The retailer i'm dealing with doesn't seem too keen to give me a refund.Which i can understand from their point of view.
04-19-2017, 09:06 AM
Heh, no worries about the A9 vs. PowerVR. The distinction is mostly interesting for techies like me

If the replacement device doesn't work out, and you want a refund but your store is reluctant:
Do you still have your iPad Air, so you can show them the difference directly? You never know what might help to convince them, so worth a try I'd say.
04-19-2017, 09:53 AM
Keeping an eye on this one, since I was about to buy one for myself.
04-19-2017, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankrio View Post
Keeping an eye on this one, since I was about to buy one for myself.
Well the replacement has identical stuttering.....Can't believe it.Can't believe this hasn't been picked up on in reviews either.Come to think of it,last week i noticed somebody say in a youtube comment about bad lag.For the life of me i cant't find that video again!

Going to give it a week or so to see if it settles down.

This is the 128gb model BTW.Whether this makes any difference or not.