New iPad 2017,infuriating stuttering in ALL games.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by retrogamOR, Apr 18, 2017.

1. retrogamOR

retrogamOR Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2013
    #1 retrogamOR, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    EDIT - More people are now seeing something similar https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7909898

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Today i purchased the new iPad that was released in March.

However,i'm having problems - infuriating stuttering across all games,every 6 or so seconds (haven't noticed it on the home screen,or non-gaming use).

I already own an iPad Mini & iPad Air & this stuttering doesn't happen on those,so i know something isn't right.

The iPad was setup as new,nothing on it.So backup is ruled out.

I'm at a loss at what is causing this,whether it's IOS 10.3,some setting or hardware problem ...I don't know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Purely guesswork, but my guess would be that either there's a hardware issue with your iPad or it's still setting itself up internally. It could be downloading photos or something like that.

3. retrogamOR

Aug 4, 2013
    Hi,thanks for trying to help.

I'm at a loss at what was causing it.I tried it without a internet connection & it was still the same.Spoke to Apple,they seem to think it was a software issue & wanted me to do a reset via iTunes (didn't work).

Got a replacement coming today.Hopefully this problem isn't related to the new model of iPad,because compared to my old iPad AIR,the lag/stuttering in-game is awful,making games like Geometry Dash almost unplayable

4. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Hhmm, does that new model have a new graphics chip, too?
    If yes, my first guess is that
    a) iOS isn't optimised for it yet
    b) Games need to change/optimise a bit for the new chip
    c) Worst case: there's something fundamentally wrong with that chip. Doesn't happen often, but you still get hardware bugs like this now and then. (anyone remember the A20 Gate problems way back when?)

That your specific device is defective would be last thing on my list, actually ;)

Almost forgot: did you search around already? If it's a general issue, it should be all over the place by now.

5. retrogamOR

Aug 4, 2013
    It has the A9 chip,the same as the 6s & 6s Plus.

I looked all over the net for anyone seeing the same thing.Even checked videos on youtube.Came up with nothing

There doesn't seeem to be a lot of info on the gaming performance of this new iPad.Those that mention it seem to be focusing on 3d/polygon based games,where this problem is less apparent,though still noticeable.

It's really noticable in 2d type games,with vertical or horizontal scrolling.This effect is visable in all games i've tried.

6. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Interesting, it does have the same graphics chip as iPhone 6s and 6s+ .
    I searched around a bit, and couldn't find anything specific to that new iPad model either.

However, I found A LOT of references to stuttering in general.
    Google for something like "iphone 6s stutter" AND limit the search range to 2017 only, that gave me the most interesting results.
    I specifically want to highlight these two:
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-stutter-with-more-ambient-light.2040204/
    http://discourse.urho3d.io/t/frequent-small-stuttering-frame-rate-in-simple-scene-with-ios-devices/2831

Another thing I came across quite frequently is that the first week or so (depending on how much stuff you have stored) a new iThingie is busy with syncing, indexing, downloading data (especially photos) from iCloud, etc.
    --> if you don't have anything stored on iCloud that could get synced back, ignore that part.

If you get the same problem on your replacement:
    Do you know someone who has an iPhone 6(S/+) or your iPad 2017, so you can compare if they have the same issue? Or maybe you can check that in a store, if you have a friendly one nearby.
    As well, I'd ask on TA's Discord, if anyone wants to test/compare.

Also, nitpick: The A9 is the processor, not the graphics chip: that's a PowerVR 7XT GT7600 in there ;)

7. retrogamOR

Aug 4, 2013
    Ah sorry,my bad.

Thanks for the links & search tips,much appreciated.I really hope this isn't a problem with all the new iPads.The retailer i'm dealing with doesn't seem too keen to give me a refund.Which i can understand from their point of view.

8. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Heh, no worries about the A9 vs. PowerVR. The distinction is mostly interesting for techies like me ;)

If the replacement device doesn't work out, and you want a refund but your store is reluctant:
    Do you still have your iPad Air, so you can show them the difference directly? You never know what might help to convince them, so worth a try I'd say.

9. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Keeping an eye on this one, since I was about to buy one for myself.

10. retrogamOR

Aug 4, 2013
    Well the replacement has identical stuttering.....Can't believe it.Can't believe this hasn't been picked up on in reviews either.Come to think of it,last week i noticed somebody say in a youtube comment about bad lag.For the life of me i cant't find that video again!

Going to give it a week or so to see if it settles down.

This is the 128gb model BTW.Whether this makes any difference or not.

11. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    That's a shame, really. It is was going to be me option, since the pro is too expensive.

Well, I might be out of Ipad for some time being.

Hope you get this sorted out.

12. retrogamOR

Aug 4, 2013
    Thanks.Maybe i'm unlucky & had 2 iPads with an identical problem........But i doubt it.

I was in the same boat as you,as the PRO was too expensive for me also.This seemed like a good deal,the old AIR screen doesn't bother me in slightest either.In fact the whole device is very nice & quick....Except for the stuttering.

Oh well,hopefully it will get better over the next few days. :(

13. coderkid

coderkid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Just pulled out the iPad 2017 I purchased the other day. I tested one of the games you mentioned, Geometry Dash. No stutter whatsoever. iOS 10.3.

14. retrogamOR

Aug 4, 2013
    Thanks for this info.Well,i have no idea what's going on.

After reading your comment I thought it might have something to do with my account/icloud/gamecentre.Logged out of all them and i still have the same problem.

This is really doing my head in. :confused:

15. coderkid

coderkid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    You could also try a fresh restore without logging into anything?

16. retrogamOR

Aug 4, 2013
    Managed to get a refund,when i showed the problem to staff at the store.
    Still find it strange that i had 2 iPads with an identical problem.Bizarre.

I assume there are more out there with this problem.....Unless i'm REALLY unlucky.

Just to rub it in,the protective pouch i ordered for it had a broken zip as well.:(

17. Olo12345

Olo12345 New Member

Apr 21, 2017
    I have very similar issue with my new iPad 2017 it seems like all of the games have small hiccups/stutters/fps drops for like a second or two when you are moving around the map(bastion, titan quest, dungeon quest etc). Not sure what to do about it really as I am wondering if that's just software issue or there is smith wrong with the hardware of that iPad :/

18. retrogamOR

Aug 4, 2013
    #18 retrogamOR, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Sorry to hear that.I actually timed the intervals between each stutter - It was around every 5 seconds in EVERY game.It never stopped.It's as if some process is kicking in every 5 seconds.

Apple viewed my screen remotely & the guy on the phone could see it.Interestingly,whilst he was doing this the stuttering was less frequent.No idea why that was.

Also,bringing up the white gamecentre window in games to view leaderboards etc,made the stuttering stop completely.Obviously you can't play games whilst you have a big gamecentre dialog box in the middle of the screen,so not much of a fix.

I would contact Apple about this,because the more people that do,the quicker the problem will be looked into.Because the guy on the phone looked for other reports of this & couldn't find any.

Good luck.

19. Olo12345

Olo12345 New Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Yeah I guess I will try to contact apple about this issue.

At the moment I think I will pop into store and see if the issue exist on the display iPads.

For me the stuttering is most noticeable on isometric games like Titan Quest or Bastion. Could you tell me what other games did you play that stuttering is the easiest to spot on?

And let us know if you get any more info about the issue.

Thanks

20. retrogamOR

Aug 4, 2013
    #20 retrogamOR, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    The stuttering was in every game i tried - Though it was more apparent in some games than others.

Any game with vertical or horizontal scrolling,the problem was obvious.

Such as -

Geometry Dash - This game is perfectly smooth on both my old iPads,framerate & stuttering is all over the place on the new iPad,at least it was for me on both devices i had.There is a free version you can try also.

Hyber Breaker Turbo (Free also) - Select a level and let the attract mode scroll up & down = Stutter city.

Star Thief - Again,start a level & let the screen scroll from left to right.Should be perfectly smooth,stutters every 5 seconds or so.

Dashy Square (free version available) - Really bad in this,from the off.Almost unplayable.

Super Stickman Golf 3 (free) - Though not immediately obvious in this,prepare to take a shot & watch the green power meter,the stutter is visable...Again,every 5 seconds.Also visable when the ball is in flight at times.

Footy Golf (Free) - Again not intsantly obvious,but having played this on my other devices,the inconsistent framerate is noticeable.

But like is say,it was in everything i tried.

I also found this yesterday - https://www.reddit.com/r/ipad/comments/66vtha/ipad_2017_scrolling_stutterslow_touch_response/

My gut feeling is that this could be to do with Gamecentre & is only effecting a certain number of accounts (ala early versions of IOS 9).Because the 'stutter' is very similar to the effect you see when a game signs into Gamecentre (Slight pause).....It's only a gut feeling mind,i'm probably way off.

Could you let me know how you get on with Apple? I loved the new iPad,and would love to get one at a later date.