★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: do developers get paid when this happens??

12-29-2008, 07:47 PM
do developers get paid when this happens??

ok so if i go to one of these auction sites and buy a $100 itunes card for $22/15 and buy a $9.99/5.99 App does the developer actually get full payment? I know the answer is yes but where does the actual money come from??

I though the economy was sound enough to establish a products worth, example

I pay $22 for $100 credit
I buy $10 APP with that credit
Im actually only paying $2.2 for the APP
But the developer is getting his 70% cut of $7 and $3 to Apple from the sale!

Where is the actual money coming from, how can you make $7 out of $2.2 for nothing and who is actually losing out on all this??

Sorry its just one of those things thats been bugging me!!
12-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Send a message via AIM to terrett101
I assume Apple is losing out seeing as those cards are reportedly fake. Because Apple is paying the developers, and usually Apple has already recieved the money for the sale of the giftcard. But in this case they're paying out for a giftcard being spent that they never actually sold so Apple would be paying out for money they didn't ever receive.

That's how I see it at least.
12-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Send a message via ICQ to brewstermax Send a message via AIM to brewstermax Send a message via MSN to brewstermax Send a message via Yahoo to brewstermax
Quote:
Originally Posted by max rimstain View Post
ok so if i go to one of these auction sites and buy a $100 itunes card for $22/15 and buy a $9.99/5.99 App does the developer actually get full payment? I know the answer is yes but where does the actual money come from??

Where is the actual money coming from, how can you make $7 out of $2.2 for nothing and who is actually losing out on all this??

Somebody paid the full cost of the card. You simply got the card for less, but Apple recieved full payment for the cards.
12-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by max rimstain View Post

I have another question:

my cousin has a VISA prepaid card with only 4€ on it. He tried to buy SuperMonkeyBall when it was released (July) and he succeded.
The price of the game is actually 7.99€, buy he could download the game anyway. He's having problems updating the app (iPhone keeps telling him that he has to verify his account), but that's not the point.

Did the "developer" (in this case SEGA) get his money?

Last edited by daniglue; 12-29-2008 at 07:56 PM.
12-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniglue View Post
I have another question:

my cousin owned a VISA prepaid card with only 4 on it, he tried to buy SuperMonkeyBall when it was released (app store launch) and he succeded.
The price of the game is actually 7.99, buy he could download the game anyway. He's having problems updating the app (iPhone keeps telling him that he has to verify his account), but that's not the point.

Did the "developer" (in this case SEGA) got his money?
Well, the way I look at it, it's not like iTunes checks if you have enough money on your card or has a way to know if it's prepaid or not.
In the end, if your cousin wants to update that app or buy any other apps, he'll have to update the account with a new credit card and he'll be charged what is still owed. If he never updates his credit card, then someone is probably out a few dollars but who, I have no idea.
12-29-2008, 08:49 PM
posted in wrong forum