★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Penarium is set in a sinister circus arena, where contestants, much like Gladiators of old, are forced to entertain a sadistic crowd. In this frantic 2D arena arcade game, you take on the role of our quirky antihero Willy who, to survive, is forced to run, jump and avoid an array of killer death-traps. Succeed and Willy will become the Champion of Penarium. Fail and he will die in a most horrendous way, much to the delight of the baying crowd.
04-27-2017, 09:50 AM
This is fantastic. Not exactly the same, but scratches the itch I've had to play Super Crate Box for the last 5 or so years it hasn't been updated. Insanely challenging, super fun.

metalcasket's legitimate alternate account (for those moments the casket's unavailable).

04-27-2017, 10:35 AM
People this is a must have . Its from the dev who did worms and the escapists!
04-27-2017, 11:06 AM
This just got on top of my wishlist...
There is much more gameplay on the net, but i liked this trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalwastebasket View Post
This is fantastic. Not exactly the same, but scratches the itch I've had to play Super Crate Box for the last 5 or so years it hasn't been updated. Insanely challenging, super fun.
Omg, why did you have to bring up my (almost) forgotten ios thorn in my foot, lol. An incredble game with an incredible update history...or not.

My 2017 GOTY contenders...
Glitchskier, Slayaway Camp, Full of Stars, Steredenn, Arkanoid vs Space Invaders
04-27-2017, 11:21 AM
Wow!! Nice surprise. I've played this on Xbox One. Cool to be able to play on the go. This is turning out to be a strong week. I wonder how this would play with touch controls. Precise controlling is needed for this kind of gameplay, I think. Mfi support would've been nice

Last edited by yankeeblue000; 04-27-2017 at 11:26 AM.
04-27-2017, 11:59 AM
TOUCHARCADE GOT TALENTS
It is really an excellent game!
04-27-2017, 01:31 PM
This is one of my favorite indies on PS4, I have played the heck out of it! Insta-buy for iOS. I highly recommend this to anyone on the fence. It is a blast to play, extremely polished, funny, and super addictive. It can be a bit challenging at times, but it the fun type of punishing, forcing me to retry over and over.
04-27-2017, 01:59 PM
I know how this plays on console, but I wonder how this translated to touch screens
04-27-2017, 03:50 PM
Love the escapists and worms
Never heard of this one but it's bought now these guys put out great work so it's worth a few bucks to play
04-27-2017, 04:03 PM
Brilliant and damn challenging game!

For me, the controls hold up perfectly.
The customization allows you to slide the buttons only left/right, even switching the jump as well. Why they didn't think further for having up/down as well is a mistery to me. On iphone 7 it's perfect, but i don't know how they are positioned/input-area on ipad mini and up.

Double jumps are possible and most of the time you can even jump out of the left/right screen to land on the right/left. Cool gadget that offers some tactic in dodging and salvation. Super fast replay after lots of dying

Personally, and again, a game that doesn't offer two volume sliders. The sfx sounds clearly go under for my likings, so i had to mute the music. To be honest, there is only so much circus music i can tolerate to my ears.

Loved Super Crate Box? Buy this. Really!

Edit:
The actual played level always falls back to level 1 (not erase or not saving) when going to the menu. Manually choose the last level again. Please fix this.
Some traps, like the blades, are quite difficult to be seen on iphone 7 (maybe only me). I suggest ipad mini and up to get best result.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1823.PNG
Views:	18
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	113691  

My 2017 GOTY contenders...
Glitchskier, Slayaway Camp, Full of Stars, Steredenn, Arkanoid vs Space Invaders

Last edited by Qwertz555; 04-27-2017 at 05:00 PM.