★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Sense of speed in Ferrari?

12-30-2008, 12:45 AM
#1
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Berlin/Germany
Posts: 946
Sense of speed in Ferrari?

Hi

I watched a couple of YouTube videos for Ferrari GT and noticed two things: The buildings and landscapes are blurry/pixelated and the game looks really slow. Even while driving at 250 the buildings move like you would drive 50. Coming from Fastlane I'm used to a frightening sense of speed with buildings flying away on your side and sharp graphics. Is Ferrari really that bad?

Bye,
Oliver

Ferrari


Fastlane

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de

Last edited by salsamd; 12-30-2008 at 01:57 AM.
12-30-2008, 01:02 AM
#2
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Hi

I watched a couple of YouTube videos for Ferrari GT and noticed two things: The buildings and landscapes are blurry/pixelated and the game looks really slow. Even while driving at 250 the buildings move like you would drive 50. Coming from Fastlane I'm used to a frightening sense of speed with buildings flying away on your side and sharp graphics. Is Ferrari really that bad?

Bye,
Oliver
no it is actually very good. The scenery does not become pixelated, and there is a great sense of speed. Totally worth ten bucks

12-30-2008, 01:15 AM
#3
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Hi

I watched a couple of YouTube videos for Ferrari GT and noticed two things: The buildings and landscapes are blurry/pixelated and the game looks really slow. Even while driving at 250 the buildings move like you would drive 50. Coming from Fastlane I'm used to a frightening sense of speed with buildings flying away on your side and sharp graphics. Is Ferrari really that bad?

Bye,
Oliver
Nah, it's really awesome actually! Comparing Fastlane to Ferrari is like apples and oranges really. Fastlane is a more realistic racer whereas Ferrari is arcade style. Fastlane does have the higher sense of speed, but Ferrari has its own sense of speed... I would describe it as like floating on a bolt of lightning, kind of like how I would feel if I owned a REAL farrari!

~~ SMILE ~~
12-30-2008, 01:26 AM
#4
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 597
Send a message via MSN to D.Sync Send a message via Yahoo to D.Sync
In my personal experience, I think Fastlane is more for a professional racer. You may notice that in Fastlane, there are no track radar at all. All you can see is a line that state your current position and the distance to the finish line.

As for turning, well, Fastlane is more difficult to master as there is no way for you to estimate the turn in front of you. It could be a small corner, sharp corner, or a complete U turn. It's really hard to predict. And that's make that game really hard to master. But once you do memorize every corner of the track and your car, then the games might sounds more interesting to play. What's more in Fastlane is you can watch and save your replay. Sometimes it's cool to see your replay and show it to your friends

Anyways, the bottomline is Fastlane is more for professional racer and for those who like to seek ultimate racing sensation. But for those who prefer casual racing, then Ferari is for you. It's similar with Need for Speed and GTR. Fastlane is like GTR while Ferari is like NfS.
12-30-2008, 02:03 AM
#5
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 301
Also, the reason it looks slow is that in Ferrari, he is using one of the worst cars
12-30-2008, 04:09 PM
#6
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: New Orleans, USA
Posts: 246
Hello all. Been lurking for a while, first post.

I love Fastlane. (Bhagwad, ki-goi, TMAC34...you've all been doing a great job!) I've got three more tracks to finish first in before I complete arcade hard. Then I will work on arcade hard perfection and trimming my times on all the tracks in all the modes (normal, perfection, time trial). So, I still have plenty of playtime left with Fastlane.

But I want more! Which brings me to the OP...will Ferrari satisfy? Can some more people who own both talk about the sense of speed in Ferrari? If I'm into Fastlane will Ferrari feel slow and/or boring? Thanks.
12-30-2008, 04:27 PM
#7
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by gootch12 View Post
Hello all. Been lurking for a while, first post.

I love Fastlane. (Bhagwad, ki-goi, TMAC34...you've all been doing a great job!) I've got three more tracks to finish first in before I complete arcade hard. Then I will work on arcade hard perfection and trimming my times on all the tracks in all the modes (normal, perfection, time trial). So, I still have plenty of playtime left with Fastlane.

But I want more! Which brings me to the OP...will Ferrari satisfy? Can some more people who own both talk about the sense of speed in Ferrari? If I'm into Fastlane will Ferrari feel slow and/or boring? Thanks.
ferrari has a story mode that while not all that diverse, provides a lot of playing time. That kept me occupied for 3 hours before I beat it. I don't know why people are complaining about not being able to unlock cars once you've beaten story. While you can't BUY cars, you can unlock them by playing quick races (They're unlocked randomly i think). ferrari is awesome and will not disappoint

Last edited by Fubit86; 12-30-2008 at 04:27 PM. Reason: typo
12-30-2008, 10:27 PM
#8
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: New Orleans, USA
Posts: 246
So forgetting the story mode, the unlockables, the different car colors, etc...

When you are actually "driving" in one of the Ferraris, is it a rockin good time?

Because seriously, to me Asphalt is just NOT really fun. I guess since they are both Gameloft titles I'm a little worried that Ferrari will be similar.

Again, I'm not talking about graphics or anything right now, just that visceral feeling that I get from Fastlane...does Ferrari have a taste of that?
01-07-2009, 04:41 AM
#9
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Berlin/Germany
Posts: 946
I now bought it and it is an "ok" racer, which has problems with the framerate, the sense of speed and the controls. I will remove it from my iPhone very fast, because what really is broken are the controls. It does not make fun and I would not recommend it. Here's my full text on this game: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpo...9&postcount=34

Fastlane is still the best regarding the three mentioned points.

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
01-07-2009, 06:27 AM
#10
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 349
Send a message via MSN to synagence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubit86 View Post
Also, the reason it looks slow is that in Ferrari, he is using one of the worst cars
I found this comment amusing ... he might be using one of the "worst" cars in the game but its still showing doing 275kmh in a ferrari but it still looks like he's doing about 70kmh