monetization model

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Zq7r, May 9, 2017.

1. Zq7r

Zq7r Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2016
    We are getting to release a very simple arcade like game. It is an endless game based on achieving a high score. We are thinking of releasing the game for free with a cap on your possible score until you unlock the full game for $1. Has anyone here tried a model like that?

2. FGL_Rozek

FGL_Rozek Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Community Relations @ Enhance
    Thats tough. A player like myself, if I didn't know that something like that would happen when I reached the cap, would be mad.
    I would look at using rewarded video. It might be more lucrative too.

If you decide to go the ads route and want to save time and energy implementing your ads, take a look at how Enhance® can help : http://fgl.io/2lf

3. y.briones

y.briones Member

Nov 7, 2017
    Community Manager
    Barcelona
    monetization model

Agree with FGL_Rozek, I think the cap would make you lose players and popularity.

There are other ways to make good profit using in in app advertising.

A good idea for a rewarded video in an arcade style game would be offering the player the opportunity to double their points/score by clicking on a rewarded video and watching it.

Are you currently using any monetization platform? Chek out Appodeal’s performance reports.

4. DaveMApplegate

DaveMApplegate Well-Known Member

I agree w/ y.briones & FGL_Rozek. I'd be pretty pissed if I had to pay money to get a high score. That's an instant uninstall for me.

When creating games, I've always just looked at what the best in class games in my category do and then reach out to them and see if their plan worked out. The indie dev community is super helpful. There is no point in re-inventing the monetization wheel unless you have a super compelling reason to do so : )

Cheers,

Dave

5. AlphaTodd

AlphaTodd Well-Known Member

May 3, 2017
    I appreciate the creativity, but barring the cap being REALLY high, that will drive away players.

Also though, the "reward" for buying the full game should be significant and worthy of the purchase. Make them WANT to spend the $1 on your game.

6. DaveMApplegate

What exactly do you mean by this? : )

Cheers,

Dave

7. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    I think it meant that it would only work if the player was very experienced and invested in the game before they reached the cap. It still might be a problem, and would only be seen by a few, so not great for monetisation.

A more common option for IAP is to remove ads. If the endless game has a monetary system for upgrades, IAP could offer in-game money or double rates for earning the money.

8. y.briones

y.briones Member

Nov 7, 2017
    Community Manager
    Barcelona
    Mixing in-app ads and in-app purchases generally really pisses off users.
    For an arcade game that is not targeted to experienced users makes more sense mixing different ad-types in the same app and check eCPM for adjustments. That a working with ASO.

9. DaveMApplegate

I kind of agree w/ that. I HATE it when I pay for a game and then have to watch ads. I almost expect in IAP to completely remove ads from the game. The one exception to that is when the ads are very cleanly integrated w/ gameplay. E.x. watch a video to get more coins to unlock a character.

10. y.briones

y.briones Member

Nov 7, 2017
    Community Manager
    Barcelona
    I'm curious, what have you decided?