★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Hexile released (25 giveaway?)

12-30-2008, 12:54 AM
Hexile released (25 giveaway?)

Hexile was released today.

I've visited developer's home page and I've found a beta tester program that intends to get feedback and as a payback 25 codes of the game for the, of course, 25 first who signup.

Here's the link for those that want to try:

http://fusiondevgroup.com/downloadgiveaway.php

And here's the headline:

Quote:
Free Download Giveaway
We are giving away Hexile to the first 25 people who sign up for a free download!
However, I'm not sure if the giveaway is still on or not, that's why the interrogation point in the title.

Youtube link | Pop Up

////Update:

I win a code (thank you developer!), played the game and here's my review:

First of all this game has a nice presentation: top-notch graphics, music and sound. I just wish to see less system message box (e.g. the one displayed when you lose a level) and more a seemly interface that matches the game theme.

This is a nice pick up and play puzzle game for two simple and welcome reasons: it has a simple gameplay (you eliminate numbers in descending/ascending order) and you can always continue from where you left, even if you lose.

Basically you can enjoy and try to beat the 620 levels without the stress to start from level/stage 1 again. That's an awesome approach when you need a game to kill some free time. Excellent!

The first stage is easy so you have a chance to understand the game. Nice.

But when you advance the game starts to get a bit complicated (in a good way) and time is more than precious. The result: you have to use some strategy based on your first look of the board level and don't waste any second.

When things get tough then you can start to use the power-ups to help you win the level. Later levels introduces more power-ups like the "Time Dilator" and the "BioTox" bomb.

Usually I feel that most of the games should add something to the gameplay but this time I really don't feel it. This game has a nice approach that makes you enjoy all levels without worrying about lose all your effort just because you didn't win a stage.

However this game needs some refinements like an in game tutorial (just a web one right now) and a way to play in both landscape orientations. Those are minor things that are not enough to hold anyone from trying it.

Finally, just a small request: statistics. It'd be nice to check how many levels were played, how many power-ups were used, winnings/losses (level) and so on.

5/5 for me that love puzzle games more than any other genre.

PS: sometimes I just wish I had more time to enjoy the game a bit more (maybe an easy mode in the future with more time?).

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8

Last edited by Carlos-Sz; 12-31-2008 at 11:04 AM.
12-30-2008, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the heads up.

12-30-2008, 01:30 AM
Send a message via MSN to D.Sync Send a message via Yahoo to D.Sync
I wonder will I get a chance for being a Beta tester?
12-30-2008, 11:34 AM
Send a message via AIM to costanza
Nice, I got a key. Thanks for posting this.
12-30-2008, 12:34 PM
I got a promo code, and have played for about an hour now..i love it. Here is the review I posted on iTunes:
Quote:
This game has a lot of things going for it. It is a very quick playing, strategic puzzler. In fact, I would say it is one of the more original puzzlers in the App store. The sound effects, music, graphics, and presentation are all very polished. The difficulty progression through the levels is reasonable, but chalenging. There are a few things that would make this a 5 star app though:

-Leader Boards are one, I know your Web Site says there coming, and that will add a lot ot the experience.

-Achievements are a great way to make any puzzle game more addictive, and with so many things going on each round, there are plenty of oppurtunities for them. (Examples: 5 bombs used, 10 bombs used etc., 100 tiles cleared, 10 tile streak with no bomb used, 20 tile streak, etc. and many other variations)

-I know this game has a back story involving the player being trapped in a tomb and working their way out, hopefully they could somehow work that into the actual game. If i hadn't read it in the description, I'd never think there was anyhting more to the game.
One thing I wish App Devs would learn, and especially those of puzzle, casual, or other simple games, is that with "extras" to enhance the addictive nature that these games are designed for, they can rise above the mass of "Me Too!" apps.

Ipod Touch 2g 16gb / iPad 16gb WiFi
Top 3 ATM: Archetype, Arena9, Inotia 2
GameCenter / OpenFeint / Plus+: pope22
12-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Is there any way to use promo/beta codes if you are not connected to the US store?
12-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Send a message via ICQ to brewstermax Send a message via AIM to brewstermax Send a message via MSN to brewstermax Send a message via Yahoo to brewstermax
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSP View Post
Is there any way to use promo/beta codes if you are not connected to the US store?
You can do betas, but you have to have a valid US account to use promo codes.
12-30-2008, 12:42 PM
@pope:
Can you explain a bit more of the game play?
12-30-2008, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLightJerky View Post
@pope:
Can you explain a bit more of the game play?
The basic gameplay sets you up with a series of hexagonal tiles on the playing board. Each one will have a number on it. You touch anyone you want to remove it from play. Whatever number you start with must be followed by a number that is either +1 or -1. For example, if you start with 5, next would have to be 6 or 4. If the next was 4, you could then go to 3 or back to 5. As you go through the levels the number of tiles and the complexity of the pattern needed to clear all the tiles becomes more complex. You also find tiles that add bonuses and special abilities to your gameplay, which you can collect and take with you between levels. Along with all this you have a timer which counts down quickly when your inactive, but increases when you are selecting and removing tiles, so there is a pressure element as well.

Seems a bit rambling, but hopefully i was able to get the idea across

Ipod Touch 2g 16gb / iPad 16gb WiFi
Top 3 ATM: Archetype, Arena9, Inotia 2
GameCenter / OpenFeint / Plus+: pope22
12-30-2008, 12:55 PM
convinced me to buy it! Thanks for the info.