★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

what do you want from your next handheld gaming system?

05-10-2017, 07:01 AM
what do you want from your next handheld gaming system?

I have the first gen PSP. I never bought any other handheld - though I was given a 3DX, that I never play.

I don't even know what the best system even has right now, but I know I want it to be leaps and bounds better than the 1st gen PSP.

What do you want in your next handheld system? ( That is realistic )
05-10-2017, 08:19 AM
Bacially just a Switch minus the dock with better battery life.

05-10-2017, 09:07 AM
Love the Nintendo Switch. There's only a small games library at the moment, as it is just a couple of months old, but it deserves to take over from the Vita as the best grown-up handheld. The screen is great, most importantly the controls are brilliant, and it already has a couple of stone-cold classics in Zelda and Mario Kart. Probably play on TV and as a handheld half and half, but it's definitely great as a handheld.

2017 GOTY nominations: SAO: Memory Defrag, Death Road to Canada, Spaceplan, Arkanoid vs Space Invaders
Switch ID: Krillin 5948-6652-1589
05-10-2017, 10:20 AM
Vita is great, but it needs all the buttons (L2/R3, R2/R3) and, well, it's pretty much dead now except in Japan. Good existing library, though. Switch has all the buttons, but it's also significantly larger. I want to get a Switch at some point but no funds for it, and not much in the library of that yet anyway.
05-10-2017, 01:24 PM
The Switch has basically nailed everything I want from a portable system.
But looking to a theoretical next system, I'd be happy if they just added analog triggers and upped the power. Not that I'm unhappy with what Switch is capable of, every time I play Mario Kart or Zelda I get this little voice in my head that says, holy hell this is on a handheld.

Sure it's not as pocketable as my 3DS or even my Vita, but it's worth the extra bulk for the awesome screen and the amazing games.

Total tech addict, software developer (more or less) and spouter of complete and utter nonsense when my medication kicks in. (No, really.)
05-11-2017, 06:40 AM
Hmm.

Vita-2 with PS4 ish graphics, no back panel touch screen and full complete cross buy/platform/play/save game support with the PS4. Oh and r2/l2 triggers.

Gamecenter : taeles
05-11-2017, 08:23 AM
Full set of controls and specs to rival at least last gen consoles
05-11-2017, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonomation View Post
Full set of controls and specs to rival at least last gen consoles

So, wouldn't that be the Switch then? It's certainly got a full compliment of controls and from a technical standpoint it seems to be more powerful than the Wii U when docked. Which itself was at least on par with the PS3/Xbox 360.

In its undocked handheld mode it's power level would seem to be about on par, if not slightly better than Wii U. It has no problem handling Mario Kart at the same resolution as Wii U and Zelda, even with better effects. I have to admit as a handheld system the Switch has blown me away, it's definitely one of my all time favourite systems already.

Indeed if you read many of the unbiased in depth articles, eurogamer/digital foundry and so on, there are many developers and industry experts who say the Wii U had the edge over those systems, sadly only Nintendo made any real use of its capabilities. So it bodes well for some quality portable gaming from Switch. Actually, there already is.

Total tech addict, software developer (more or less) and spouter of complete and utter nonsense when my medication kicks in. (No, really.)
05-12-2017, 01:36 PM
Longer battery life would be the best
05-12-2017, 02:04 PM
Switch has the specs and controls. But Nintendo needs to show that they can actually get solid 3rd party support and much better online (they sure haven't shown that with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe from what I'm reading - sounds like the online is just like the Wii U version). Plus friend codes again? Ugh. I do want that new Mario game.