★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

I Don't Understand Mobile Fighters

05-10-2017, 06:34 PM
#1
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,137
I Don't Understand Mobile Fighters

Not sure how lively the community is these days, but Street Fighter IV Volt had true online multiplayer. And true actual fighting and none of this tap tap swipe nonsense where you grind your way to victory instead of using actual skill.
05-10-2017, 06:41 PM
#2
That sounds right up my alley lol I'm sure there's a reason for it but I don't see the appeal to fighting other people's characters instead of actually fighting other people - defeats the purpose of multplayer and even if you do rise in the leaderboards, who really cares cause you were just fighting computers the whole time lol. Sorry rants over.

05-10-2017, 06:50 PM
#3
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,137
Many games on the mobile front are mostly about making you feel good without you putting in any effort whatsoever. It's particularly a shame with fighting games, though, because it would be nice to have a new one with live pvp that wasn't just about tapping the screen and grinding how much health you have/how much damage your punch does. Somewhat of a bastardization of an inherently competitive genre.

Games like Transformers Forged and Injustice actually have very little to do with fighting games, and are more about tapping the screen and looking at beautiful graphics while being tied to some sort of RNG grind system which is a nightmare of insanity. As far as the gameplay goes, you might as well be staring at numbers running into each other while you tap the screen.

Last edited by nodoctors; 05-10-2017 at 06:53 PM.
05-10-2017, 06:56 PM
#4
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoctors View Post
Many games on the mobile front are mostly about making you feel good without you putting in any effort whatsoever. It's particularly a shame with fighting games, though, because it would be nice to have a new one with live pvp that wasn't just about tapping the screen and grinding how much health you have/how much damage your punch does. Somewhat of a bastardization of an inherently competitive genre.

Games like Transformers Forged and Injustice actually have very little to do with fighting games, and are more about tapping the screen and looking at beautiful graphics while being tied to some sort of RNG grind system which is a nightmare of insanity. As far as the gameplay goes, you might as well be staring at numbers running into each other while you tap the screen.
It is painfully obvious that you have never played any of these games for any significant amount of time. Nothing is more of a dead giveaway than "All you do is tap!"

Fondle me on Twitter:@JaredTA
05-10-2017, 07:04 PM
#5
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardumb View Post
It is painfully obvious that you have never played any of these games for any significant amount of time. Nothing is more of a dead giveaway than "All you do is tap!"
Couldn't be further from the truth. Cleared the campaigns for Skullgirls(which may have been too generous in combination with not having enough content), Transformers, and Blazblue. Play something like Street Fighter for perspective on this. I am a huge fan of the genre and unfortunately have to take what I can get.

Last edited by nodoctors; 05-10-2017 at 07:06 PM.
05-10-2017, 07:09 PM
#6
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoctors View Post
Couldn't be further from the truth. Cleared the campaigns for Skullgirls(which may have been too generous in combination with nothing having enough content), Transformers, and Blazblue. Play something like Street Fighter for perspective on this. I am a huge fan of the genre and unfortunately have to take what I can get.
Lmao, "play something like Street Fighter." I have been playing Street Fighter for 25 years. These games are neat because they capture aspects of traditional fighting games like timing and anticipation and smart special move usage. They are super strategic. You can in no way just "tap tap tap" your way through these games.

Fondle me on Twitter:@JaredTA
05-10-2017, 07:18 PM
#7
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardumb View Post
Lmao, "play something like Street Fighter." I have been playing Street Fighter for 25 years. These games are neat because they capture aspects of traditional fighting games like timing and anticipation and smart special move usage. They are super strategic. You can in no way just "tap tap tap" your way through these games.
Yeah, not gonna sit here and listen to a self proclaimed street fighter of 25 years tell me that these are literally SUPER strategic games. Let me tell you my secret sauce to destroying these games. I find the optimal damage combo for a character and then hold block once I've done it, waiting to take advantage of the AI's scripted retaliation. I'm assuming that you're still actively playing Street Fighter, care to share your CFN?
05-10-2017, 07:26 PM
#8
Joined: Sep 2016
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 40
I don't know what it is with fighting games on mobile it seems that you look at some nice graphics and once in a while you push a button and they perform a flashy move where is the steering button to move your character so you have the feeling that you are the one that fights instead of the automatic pilot it's a pity that Capcom doesn't update their Street Fighter games anymore because they had some real nice fighting games in the AppStore.
05-10-2017, 07:29 PM
#9
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoctors View Post
Yeah, not gonna sit here and listen to a self proclaimed street fighter of 25 years tell me that these are literally SUPER strategic games. Let me tell you my secret sauce to destroying these games. I find the optimal damage combo for a character and then hold block once I've done it, waiting to take advantage of the AI's scripted retaliation. I'm assuming that you're still actively playing Street Fighter, care to share your CFN?
I'm not interested in having a dick waving contest and I don't play SFV. I have been playing fighting games since the original SFII, own a huge collection of them for a variety of systems. It is my favorite genre right behind platformers. If you are a super leet pro then congratulations. But the point still stands: These games are not able to be completed with mindless tapping, there is actual strategy involved. But hey, don't let me get in the way of your public display of ignorance.

Fondle me on Twitter:@JaredTA
05-10-2017, 09:15 PM
#10
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardumb View Post
Lmao, "play something like Street Fighter." I have been playing Street Fighter for 25 years. These games are neat because they capture aspects of traditional fighting games like timing and anticipation and smart special move usage. They are super strategic. You can in no way just "tap tap tap" your way through these games.
Completely agree. Saying these games are just tap, tap, tap is like saying all you do in Street Fighter is hit x and up on the pad. Some people surely do that and we often call them button mashers for that deed. Same goes for these kind of games: If you just tap, tap, tap then you are doing it wrong. :-)

What I miss is real time fighting, but for a touch system this is a smart way to get the timing and anticipation part of fighting games right without having control issues.

But honestly your reaction to Boardumb's comment make me think that the headline should be named "I don't want to understand mobile fighters". They are no match for a pad or stick based fighter, but they are definitely more than just random or fast tapping for the reasons Boardumb gave.

Last edited by Leegames; 05-10-2017 at 09:19 PM.