★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

RPG Suggestions

05-15-2017, 07:07 PM
#1
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 901
RPG Suggestions

I'm sure there is already such a thread but I can't seem to navigate the search function successfully. I'm looking for an RPG to play and have really tapped out my leads. I recently downloaded the original Battleheart just to give me something to play.

Your suggestions are appreciated... here's what I've already hacked my way through:

All beamdog RPG
All final fantasy
MHFU
Titan Quest
Battleheart Legacy
Soda Dungeon
Galactic Keep
Knights of Pen and Paper
Demon Rise 1 and 2
Hero Emblems
Hero Siege
Steamword Heist
Deathwatch
Arcane Magic
War Hammer Quest
Arcane Quest
Post Knight
Dungeon Rushers
ROS Saga
Dandy Dungeon
Pixel Heroes
Severed
9th Dawn II
The Quest
Trulon
Siralim
Xcom
Shadowrun
Infinity Blade
Ember
Sorcery
Teeny Titans
Banner Saga

Last edited by Lickzy; 05-15-2017 at 07:41 PM.
05-15-2017, 07:16 PM
#2
Joined: Dec 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 964
Don't see any Dragon Quest on that list! I've only played DQ8 of the series, but it was excellent. General recommendations are that they really pick up from DQ3 onwards.

Aside from that are Ys 1&2, The World Ends With You, Lunar Silver Star Story, Ember, Teeny Titans, Steven Universe Attack the Light, Vigil, Sorcery 1-4, Banner Saga 1-2, Legend of Grimrock... All highly rated.

If you have an iPad, the Avernum and Avadon series will provide 100s of hours between them.

2017 GOTY nominations: SAO: Memory Defrag, Death Road to Canada, Spaceplan, Arkanoid vs Space Invaders
Switch ID: Krillin 5948-6652-1589

05-15-2017, 07:48 PM
#3
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangutanKungfu View Post
Don't see any Dragon Quest on that list! I've only played DQ8 of the series, but it was excellent. General recommendations are that they really pick up from DQ3 onwards.

Aside from that are Ys 1&2, The World Ends With You, Lunar Silver Star Story, Ember, Teeny Titans, Steven Universe Attack the Light, Vigil, Sorcery 1-4, Banner Saga 1-2, Legend of Grimrock... All highly rated.

If you have an iPad, the Avernum and Avadon series will provide 100s of hours between them.
Thank you! You jogged my memory so I could edit my original post and added a few more games. I have only played one Sorcery game so perhaps the most recent one wouldn't be a bad idea. You're right about dragon quest... not sure why I've never taken the plunge and Avadon and Avernum I've looked at before.

Never ever heard of vigil so I will have to take a peak

All other suggestions are graciously appreciated
05-15-2017, 07:57 PM
#4
Chrono Trigger!
05-15-2017, 08:23 PM
#5
And there's always the current RPG play a long Knights of the Old Republic.

If you want something unique and humorous, Cthulhu Saves the World is pretty good. Especially if you're into the Cthulhu mythos.
05-15-2017, 10:55 PM
#6
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 198
KOTOR & Jade Empire definitely

Ravensword: Shadowlands or Aralon: Sword and Shadow for something Elder Scolls-like

The Bard's Tale for something that doesn't take itself too seriously

Dungeon Quest is fun, just a basic dungeon crawler but the gameplay is pretty addictive

The Shadow Sun was enjoyable and plays a bit like KOTOR (side quests, dialogue choices, companions, semi open world)

Heroes & Castles 1 & 2 (mashup of tower defense and action RPG)

Ire - Blood Memory for a souls-like if that's something you enjoy

Oceanhorn - maybe not an RPG, but a great zelda-like game

Bastion is a must-play
05-15-2017, 11:59 PM
#7
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 901
Jakeopp

Can you tell me more about dungeon quest? I'm usually put off by free games, is the IAP necessary?

I have no issues with paying to "grease the wheels" but I don't want to be forking out 100's of dollars either
05-16-2017, 03:08 AM
#8
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickzy View Post
Jakeopp

Can you tell me more about dungeon quest? I'm usually put off by free games, is the IAP necessary?

I have no issues with paying to "grease the wheels" but I don't want to be forking out 100's of dollars either
I last played through it several years ago, I never felt compelled to spend any money on it then. I believe the IAPs were just for extra character slots, a locked class and in game items that you didn't need to beat it.

I have no idea if this is still the case though

I'm someone who hates F2P games so this one was an exception. It's a small DL & free obviously so it can't hurt to try it out. If you're looking for a storyline or detailed graphics this isn't it. The simple yet enjoyable combat and looting is what what hooked me.

Last edited by Jakeopp; 05-16-2017 at 03:16 AM.
05-17-2017, 02:45 PM
#9
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 22,479
I think these havent been mentioned yet.

Transistor - second appstore title for the Bastion devs. Fantastic turn-based RPG reminiscent of Arc The Lad series.
Sproggiwood - my favorite roguelike on the appstore, and it's a premium title.
05-17-2017, 03:38 PM
#10
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
I think these havent been mentioned yet.

Transistor - second appstore title for the Bastion devs. Fantastic turn-based RPG reminiscent of Arc The Lad series.
Sproggiwood - my favorite roguelike on the appstore, and it's a premium title.
Hey buddy !

Thanks for the insight, I know from following forums that you and I typically have similar gaming interests. I downloaded Sproggiwood but put it down in favour of Dungelot... I think.

Either way I will look into it after Dungeon Quest.

Thank you all for the input and keep it coming