Apple commissions and TA

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Avaniar, May 16, 2017.

1. Avaniar

Avaniar Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Hey guys at TA.
    Firstly,please don't take this the wrong way.
    Secondly, what is the deal at present on the subject of Apple commissions?
    Yesterday i saw a newspost on pockettactics saying Apple had backed out on their decision and they said it only applied to in app purchases.
    Is this true?
    Ok with the questions out of the way, a small critic (hence the number 1 thing).
    This is news, this is big. At least as big as the news of the commission cuts coming through and TA getting it rough.
    So why haven't you guys talked about it yet?
    Your commission news had a lot of steam with hundreds of comments, but has died down now.
    Not defending Apple, but you should publish a news article to set it straight on what is happenning now.

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

98ish percent of games are free to play with IAP. We went from getting 7% to 2.5% commission on those IAP purchases. For our purposes, the fact that paid app commissions remain at 7% is largely irrelevant. I'm not super sure why so many places on the internet are acting like this is some kind of massive victory that Apple kept paid commissions how they were. It's like being on a sinking ship, and the captain coming around and offering you a drink of water.

We're still very boned, and desperately require community support to continue operating. The latest way we have for people to do this is by subscribing to us on Twitch for free if you're an Amazon Prime member- http://toucharcade.com/2017/05/15/amazon-prime-members-can-support-toucharcade-for-free-by-subscribing-on-twitch/

3. Avaniar

Avaniar Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Hey Eli, thanks for the reply and the insight on this.
    I thought the main issue was the cut on the app commissions themselves, but you do raise a good point. If people actually go more for freemium stuff and then junk out on IAP, then you get a lot more "revenue" from those.
    I thought in the end you actually got more from paid app commission, seeing as so many people, myself included, around TA are always waiting for the newest paid game (like birth of isaac, death road to canada, etc)

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

That's fair, and people are, but the iOS gaming ecosystem has shifted drastically. Most games are free now, so while we do still make 7% on the odd super anticipated premium game here and there, if you watch the various Wednesday release posts we do, sometimes there will be entire weeks without a game that costs money.

Additionally, sales of premium games are down across the board, with the top paid games being downloaded thousands of times a day with most seeing far less than that. When most games are a buck, when they're paid at all, 7-ish cents per download doesn't add up very fast, 2.5-ish cents on the dollar for IAP comes even slower- Particularly considering as far as traffic generation for F2P games is concerned all people want to know is how to NOT spend money in F2P games. (Which is why we post guides to that effect.)

5. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    How does the commission on IAPs work? If I download a game based on a link from TA, does that meant that you get commission on all IAPs that I ever buy in the game?