★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Vector Rally is coming soon!

10-24-2009, 11:04 PM
Vector Rally is coming soon!

Hello everyone,

I would like to present my new game called "Vector Rally" which has been submitted to the app store.

Would really like to get some feedback of what do you guys/girls think about it. Any feedback is welcome, the more the better!

About the Game

Vector Rally is a turn based logic racing game which simulates a car race around the track. Cars move from one grid point to another by using vectors, e.g a move of 3 squares to the right and 2 square up can be described by a vector x(3, 2).

Cars move by the rules of inertia and traction and those reminds of how real racing cars moves around the track so you should always plan ahead, e.g start slowing down at the right time before dangerous turns, choose the best racing line to move efficiently etc.

For each move you can select one of eight available neighboring points (little blue circles in the screenshots). Actual move is performed by touching one of the big blue circles in the lower left of the screen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pacific.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	14754

During each consecutive move player can increase speed by one square, maintain same speed or decelerate as required.

The player who finishes track in least score possible wins the game. Score is made of total turns made and also penalties received. You can be penalized if your car moves outside the track (+1), crashes into another car (+1) or hits the wall (+2).

Different traction rules applies if you race on rough surface of the track - grass, dirt etc. In this case some move points will be disabled and your speed will be decreased by one square each move. If you hit the wall your car will stop immediately.

This game is not only a good fun to play together with your family or friends, but it can also be used as a teaching tool about vectors!

Please ask any questions, will be more than happy to answer them!
I will also release game play video soon, hopefully it will make more sense about mechanics of the game.

Game features

- 7 unique tracks on initial release and more via updates
- all tracks are hand crafted by an artist and has unique themes:
  • Pacific Island
  • City Rush
  • Mexican Desert
  • Snowy Mountains
  • Eastern
  • Aztec Ruins
  • African Safary
- single player
- multi-player on same device (up to 4 players)
- multi-player via Bluetooth or local WiFi (up to 4 players)
- AI players
- local high scores
- global high scores (OpenFeint)
- achievements

More screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	City.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	14755Click image for larger version

Name:	Desert.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	14756Click image for larger version

Name:	Main.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	9646

Last edited by eJayStudios; 04-19-2010 at 12:00 AM.
10-24-2009, 11:24 PM
This looks really cool! I love the themes of the tracks, and I love th emultiplayer.
A really unique idea here, it reminds me of Lego Racers, the board game.
Have you guys thought of power ups like Mario Kart/Party, that you would throw at an opponent to cause them to lose a turn, etc.?

10-24-2009, 11:34 PM
Hi,

I'm glad you like it! And thanks for your feedback, really appreciated!

This game is based on paper & pen game played in 70-80's, was quite popular when I was in school and didn't have a PC

I have few ideas like yours, for example player can spill oil on the track and it will affect you current vector and might throw opponent in a different direction etc.

If there is enough interest something like this can be added with the update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGH94 View Post
This looks really cool! I love the themes of the tracks, and I love th emultiplayer.
A really unique idea here, it reminds me of Lego Racers, the board game.
Have you guys thought of power ups like Mario Kart/Party, that you would throw at an opponent to cause them to lose a turn, etc.?
10-24-2009, 11:40 PM
yeah, this does look neat

I was also thinking with the width of the tracks, you could also have obstacles that could be present on the track and you must navigate round them...something that might be a bottleneck or affect speed...or maybe you could have the track split with one part being shorter but much curvier or something while the other is straighter/easier to navigate...so the player can choose to risk the shorter path if they think they can judge the vectors correctly; otherwise, they can choose the more conservative path

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.
10-24-2009, 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilishly Good View Post

I was also thinking with the width of the tracks, you could also have obstacles that could be present on the track and you must navigate round them...something that might be a bottleneck or affect speed...or maybe you could have the track split with one part being shorter but much curvier or something while the other is straighter/easier to navigate...so the player can choose to risk the shorter path if they think they can judge the vectors correctly; otherwise, they can choose the more conservative path
I like that idea, kinda like some of the tracks in Nano Rally...
10-24-2009, 11:47 PM
thank you, this sounds like a really good idea as well! Will implement something like this on new tracks.

Now I regret not posting about my game earlier, you guys are full of good ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilishly Good View Post

10-24-2009, 11:49 PM
Looks great!

Change it to a hex-grid, add planets and gravity, and you'd have Triplanetary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
10-24-2009, 11:54 PM
thank you!

Triplanetary looks interesting as well, never heard of it before! Maybe it could be my second game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drelbs View Post
Looks great!

Change it to a hex-grid, add planets and gravity, and you'd have Triplanetary!
10-25-2009, 12:12 AM
This'll definitely come in a later update, but what about a track editor that you draw a track with your finger, and then you use a theme/skin as the background?
10-25-2009, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eJayStudios View Post
thank you!

Triplanetary looks interesting as well, never heard of it before! Maybe it could be my second game?
If it is, can I help beta test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!