How to make your iOS game more discoverable?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Rocotilos, May 22, 2017.

1. Rocotilos

Rocotilos Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    iOS Apps & Games Developer
    My latest game, On Fire is not very discoverable. I am having trouble searching the game myself. lol.
    I search On Fire (the exact title) and it doesn't appear at all. When I search On Fire Game, then it appeared
    on 50+th result.

I feel Apple's App Store should create features like "Search by Title" or "Search by Keywords". Like when you already
    know hat the name of the game is, you should be able to search for it and get the result right away.

What do you think?

2. Tosty

Tosty Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2014
    How many downloads did your game get? I just checked it out, seems interesting.

3. AdoreGames

AdoreGames Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2015
    UK
    There are thousands of apps in the AppStore. The name of your app is too common and as keywords 'on fire game' or just 'on fire' these word combinations can be used in over 1,000 games in the store.

Please create a more unique name for your game or at least make a small research on the App Store (using AppAnnie, for instance) typing the potenital name of your app in the search field - if plenty of results appear - you should think of creating a more unique name for your game. The more unique the name is, the better.

As of your suggestion, it's almost impossible to make Apple make the changes you're thinking of. Even if they implement search by title or by keywords, you won't see your app on the first page of search results, because 'on fire' is too frequently used.

The only solution for you is to make up a more unique app name.

4. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    You app is "On Fire!"? Some specific and general suggestions for more visibility

- when naming your app, search for the name on the Store first to see what comes up. If there are already apps with that name or the name as a subset of their title, then consider something else especially if there are very popular apps competing for that string.

- when searching, apps are ranked in the order of most downloads (paid Apple Search ads notwithstanding. The more downloads you have the more visibility you get. So drive more downloads to get higher up the search results.

- having a great icon is really important when your app is listed in a sea of other icons. Make sure you have a brightly coloured icon that pops against the generally white background of the store and stands out from other apps you are competing against.

- add Stickers to your app to get it listed in the iMessage store and generate additional consumer impressions and downloads that way.

For your specific product listing, I'd consider adding more screenshots and a preview video to increase your download conversion rates. Consider working your icon to be brighter and more dynamic, perhaps having flames and/or a fire truck on there to live up to the name and gameplay more. You also might have some more luck if you renamed your game to "Fire Escape" which seems like there is less competition for and speaks to the gameplay a little more.

5. Rocotilos

Dec 5, 2009
    Uh.. not worth mentioning here. Too little. :D

6. Rocotilos

Dec 5, 2009
    Thank you both for your valuable advices. I am not that creative in naming apps and games I admit it lol.
    I'll try and make these changes and see what happens. :)