★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

[Beta} Selfie Poker - unique solitaire poker puzzle

06-04-2017, 01:20 PM
[Beta} Selfie Poker - unique solitaire poker puzzle

Hello there. I've been a professional online poker player for more than five years and recently decided to try and build a game. Not a surprise it ended up being a poker game.

Selfie Poker is an attempt to combine semipopular Open Face Chinese Poker and modern mobile puzzle games.

The rules are very simple. You just need to complete three poker hands bearing in mind some restrictions:

When all the levels are full you score points, remove cards that were used in combinations and deal the next round with leftover cards.
Try to reach the highest score, before you eventually lose.

Knowing poker hands rankings is almost required, although there's in-game help with reference.

It's built in Unity and we have both iOS and Android available for testing.

If this looks interesting, please drop me a line with your e-mail address, and I will send you an invitation.

Contacts: PM or selfiepoker@mail.com
06-04-2017, 01:25 PM
One quick question.
How silly does the name sound to you? I'm not a native speaker and my thinking was that we have this photo thing which we are using for saving best results and it's a game "you can play by yourself, so it kinda made sense to me on some level, but really not sure...

06-04-2017, 03:33 PM
I think title is fine, especially if you have a feature where you can actually take a real selfie to share your personal best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsoleteOne View Post
One quick question.
How silly does the name sound to you? I'm not a native speaker and my thinking was that we have this photo thing which we are using for saving best results and it's a game "you can play by yourself, so it kinda made sense to me on some level, but really not sure...
06-04-2017, 07:51 PM
Sent an email. Looks great!
06-05-2017, 10:12 AM
So far, so good 👍
I'm looking forward to your final touches.
Would you consider adding multiple modes, like timed (rush mode?)....or themes/card face/color options?

I was also thinking based on your description on this thread, what about a "Dungeon" mode where you score the points to defeat a monster per floor and turn it into a kind of battle/rogue-like?
Probably too far fetched at this point in development but I just wanted to throw that out there.
06-05-2017, 05:50 PM
I'm a sucker for poker games mixed with other things. I'd live to test this if you need more people.
06-05-2017, 06:38 PM
I'm not sure about the name. I almost skipped over the article because of it.

A couple years ago, there was a really great show on ABC called Selfie that starred Karen Gillian and John Cho, but it only lasted 13 episodes because of the title. I'm afraid that using the word Selfie might hurt you - the one's who would want it would be disappointed, and the people who would like the game would be turned off by the word.

I have no suggestion for you at the moment, but that's my 2 cents.

GC & Google Play: Jerutix -- Grace and Peace
06-05-2017, 10:38 PM
How about Polaroid Poker? Or if that's a legal issue, something like Snap Poker?
06-06-2017, 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorarchitekt View Post
So far, so good 👍
I'm looking forward to your final touches.
Thank you

Quote:
Would you consider adding multiple modes, like timed (rush mode?)....or themes/card face/color options?
We will have more card skins, but I don't know how far we can stretch themes and colors. It's additional content so we haven't put that much effort into it, but given that we use 4-color deck it's actually not that easy to do right. I think I'll start posting card-skin variants here for discussion later.

I don't think we are doing timed mode or any additional modes for the first release.

Quote:
I was also thinking based on your description on this thread, what about a "Dungeon" mode where you score the points to defeat a monster per floor and turn it into a kind of battle/rogue-like?
Probably too far fetched at this point in development but I just wanted to throw that out there.
I totally get what you are saying. When the project was in an early prototype form I was sure there are so many interesting ways to develop the concept further. I dreamed about progression, missions and challenges, abilities and dozens of different themes from "dwarfs mine gems" to "building The Great Wall of China". And I remember a concept where I actually had a dragon and a dude with a sword on the screen .
But we decided to drop all of it because nothing of it really fit the gameplay in the way we wanted. Poker has so much character to it and likes to dictate it's own rules. Being crushed by a bad run in pure poker game feels a lot better than being crushed in some RPG-like or casual environment. Sometimes you don't have enough control and the game plays more like a really 'hard' puzzle, rather than bright match-3 or solitaire -like puzzle game.
Also, we already have too many cards on the screen, so going 'themeless' allowed for a cleaner design.
06-07-2017, 05:55 PM
Well, it's coming along nicely, I haven't encountered any issues while playing. Still trying to beat my high score of a little over 100