★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Downloading games directly from the app store

10-26-2009, 08:39 AM
Downloading games directly from the app store

What do people think about downloading games and game updates directly from the appstore onto their phones? I have read in a couple of places this can cause problems with corrupted downloads and to only do the downloading directly from itunes on your computer and then sync the device. Is this a myth or fact?
10-26-2009, 08:44 AM
I always download games from my touch and never have witnessed a problem with that. Maybe once or twice I've had to download it from my computer because I lost wifi connection and that made my touch freak out.

10-26-2009, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcharlie View Post
What do people think about downloading games and game updates directly from the appstore onto their phones? I have read in a couple of places this can cause problems with corrupted downloads and to only do the downloading directly from itunes on your computer and then sync the device. Is this a myth or fact?
I download the directly onto my iPod. If something goes wrong, I just restart my device and it will restart the download! Everything's working fine!
10-26-2009, 08:49 AM
I like downloading from my iTouch because when you click the update button there it tells you exactly what is new for that update. On the computer it doesn't and the game description may or may not include the information I have found.
10-26-2009, 08:53 AM
One of the reasons I was asking was my backups were taking forever and one of the sites said one of the causes of this was problems caused by directly using the appstore on your phone. I think I have isolated the problem though and it is due to a couple of apps (appsniper and mbox for hotmail). Deleting those apps has solved the problem at least for now.
10-26-2009, 09:03 AM
Quote:
One of the reasons I was asking was my backups were taking forever and one of the sites said one of the causes of this was problems caused by directly using the appstore on your phone. I think I have isolated the problem though and it is due to a couple of apps (appsniper and mbox for hotmail). Deleting those apps has solved the problem at least for now.
appsniper? thanks for saying that, if I ever have to restore & backup I'll delete that.
10-26-2009, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der-Kleine View Post
appsniper? thanks for saying that, if I ever have to restore & backup I'll delete that.
If you google appsniper you'll see I am not the only one who has had a problem with it as far as backups go.
10-26-2009, 09:43 AM
Quote:
If you google appsniper you'll see I am not the only one who has had a problem with it as far as backups go.
Well it's not the thing I'd google for!
10-26-2009, 10:35 AM
I've never experienced these problems, maybe I've just been lucky?

Tactile Entertainment: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Blog
10-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Quote:
I found That if I connect my iPod once a day, the backup times are less than a minute. If I wait a week or more, the backup times are mind numbingly long.