★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iOS vs android

06-16-2017, 12:42 AM
iOS vs android

This article reckons iPhone is at the forefront of gaming for time to come:

http://gizmodo.com/when-it-comes-to-gaming-the-iphone-will-always-stomp-t-1767701278

Quote:
Because mobile games are made for iOS first. Android is an afterthought—even though Android continues to crush iOS in terms of smartphone marketshare.

Developing for iOS tends to be more lucrative overall, and there’s very little device fragmentation. There are just a handful of processors and screen sizes that an iOS developer needs to program for, which means devs can optimize their apps better than the poor Android developer who has to take into consideration hundreds of different devices with a wide variety of processor and display capabilities.
Incredibly annoying when you want to punish Apple for their procedures- that regardless they are the forefront of mobile gaming.
06-16-2017, 04:39 PM
To a degree, their procedures are the reason they're at the front of mobile gaming.

06-17-2017, 12:24 AM
Yeah possibly.
06-18-2017, 08:36 AM
Between Android and IOS, I think they have their own strengths and weaknesses, whereas IOS is more profitable for developers so most games flock to IOS first.

Being on both sides of the field, some games have free trials on Android, but not IOS. IOS has more games, but Android is more robust, such as button mappers you can use to add physical controls to any game, like Shadow Fight 2, which plays light years better with physical controls. I guarantee Lynx won't be as hard with physical controls, lol!
06-19-2017, 01:54 AM
Both of them are great, but most developer that develop a paid game preferring IOS because it is safer from any pirate. In Android you could install any pirate app without needed to root their phone, but this is not happening in IOS where there is tough process to get fully control on your system and not majority of user can do it. That is why IOS is safer environment for the developer.
06-19-2017, 05:11 AM
Plus with iOS there's only a small number of hardware/OS versions to develop for. With Android there are so many different types of devices running different version of Android it make building quality apps much more difficult.
06-19-2017, 05:29 AM
Didn't want to comment here (would end up with like a 2-page post ), but crazychimp's comment is an invitation to whip out the graphs and statistics:
Here's something from Google itself: https://developer.android.com/about/...rds/index.html
This one is old (from 2010, didn't find a recent one right away), but the fundamentals behind it still apply: http://stephenslighthouse.com/wp-con...martphones.png
For extra fun, here's my favorite one: ~4000 different Android devices on record, and that number is only going up. I saw the same one for 2016 with ~6000 if I remember right, but can't find it anymore.
Android device fragmentation, understatement of the year