★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
06-18-2017, 10:19 AM
Dang this is truly unfortunate because I just read rock paper shotguns review of this and I want it bad. How do I find out if this game is 64 bit?
06-18-2017, 10:32 AM
I too have a number of Slitherine games (9) about to become deceased with the arrival of iOS 11. It may be true that It is not a matter of choice but that Slitherine simply cannot update these apps to 64-bit due to the game engine used.

However, it is also true that Slitherine continues to sell 8 of these games knowing full well the games will soon be unplayable by anyone who updates to iOS 11. I will not spend a single penny more with a company that so clearly does not give a damn about their customers.

However, a number of my apps have been 64-bit updated even though they are 6 years old. As such I will continue to support premium software even though I think Slitherine should perform the anatomically impossible.

06-18-2017, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainamor View Post
Dang this is truly unfortunate because I just read rock paper shotguns review of this and I want it bad. How do I find out if this game is 64 bit?
Nothing that has been submitted or updated in the last year or more can be 32 bit. Only historically submitted apps (date something like June 2015) could be 32 bit. So you can be sure this is 64
06-18-2017, 02:18 PM
Reading slitherines responses I agree with them. Apple is causing the issue at hand. As slitherine said, there is nothing to prevent a 32 bit app to run on a 64 bit device. The only thing preventing it would be Apple's OS. To expect developers to completely rebuild an old game every time Apple decides to change the rules is not realistic.

GAMECENTER ID: Cali9ula
Hearthstone Caligula#1384
Games: Ascension, Battle of the Bulge, Drive on Moscow, Frozen Synapse, Titan HD, La Havre, NS Hex, Puerto Rico HD, BA & Panzer Corps
06-18-2017, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythbuster View Post
This may be a good title but I will never spend any money to Slitherine again: Battle Academy 1 and 2, Pike & Shot, Commander - The great war, Qvadriga and some more games ... I paid around 300,- Euros and with iOS 11 everything will be lost ... they have no plans to update their Apps to 64 Bit ... their simple answer: "Just do not update to iOS 11" ...

Sorry, but as long as they are not willing to support their "Premium Games" I am not willing to give them my money ...

So think twice before "supporting Premium Software" ...
Yeah, that's a valid point and especially disapointing that it's always a a or almost a publisher who won't afford the longer App care.
06-18-2017, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shfrost View Post
Well, that does indeed suck. Looks like I won't be supporting them either.
Same here, hope they read the comments. I don't have F.B. but somebody should set up a page to boycot Slitherine products until they respect their customers.

Last edited by Dragan; 06-18-2017 at 04:26 PM.
06-18-2017, 04:33 PM
I'm interested how long is an acceptable length of time for a developer to update apps (desktop or mobile) to address any new OS compatibility issues? Does this apply to developers and publishers?

Last edited by skoptic; 06-18-2017 at 04:35 PM.
06-18-2017, 05:24 PM
They've explained that it's the game engine that's tied their hands in previous games. That can't be said as their fault for not predicting apples future decision.

But, before we go any further, has anyone even confirmed if this is or is not 64 bit? Someone above mentioned Apple does not approve these days unless it is 64 bit.
If it is 64 bit, that would imply that Slitherine have changed their game engine just for this game. Obviously, or they'd be out of business with respect to iOS publishing.
06-18-2017, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyB View Post
Reading slitherines responses I agree with them. Apple is causing the issue at hand. As slitherine said, there is nothing to prevent a 32 bit app to run on a 64 bit device. The only thing preventing it would be Apple's OS. To expect developers to completely rebuild an old game every time Apple decides to change the rules is not realistic.
I agree. Apple is really the cause of all these problems, but we know Apple will never change their stance on this. A company with good customer service will update apps for a future game breaking iOS update. Slitherine is refusing to do this. I won't pay a premium price for crappy customer service.
06-18-2017, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shfrost View Post
Edited to add: Carrier Battles is a strategic wargame while this one is a management game. I can enjoy both camps. It's a matter of apples and oranges.
Not strategic in the "strictest" sense, I would call that a tactical game, ie, the battlefield has been set up for you, as the commander, you take what you have and win the battle.

Sorry for being off-topic

Edit: Awe, this has turned into "boycott Slitherine" thing...

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

Honestly, I was never terribly good at games. - Finch (PoI S2E16)

Last edited by currymutton; 06-18-2017 at 09:17 PM.