★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Piracy is getting worse...

10-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Piracy is getting worse...

Kotaku just posted a link to a developer's blog about his encounter with iPhone piracy.

http://smellslikedonkey.com/wordpress/?page_id=274

Quote:
On day one, according to Neptune Interactive, the number of illegitimate copies of Tap Fu submitting high scores to the game's leaderboards was more than 50%. Two days later, it was more than 90% by Neptune's figures. Worse? Neptune's findings indicate that zero percent of the pirates playing ill-begotten copies of Tap Fu ultimately became legitimate purchasers of the app.
Reading his blog, he seems to have taken it well considering the circumstances. But its a look into how widespread piracy is becoming on the app store, I just hope it doesn't become any worse than it is now...

Last edited by Psychonaut; 10-26-2009 at 08:12 PM.
10-26-2009, 07:06 PM
ya that article is interesting, especially how he mentioned that getting apps off those sites were easier than from the app store (especially on windows comp, stupid buggy mess of itunes). In the future most game devs should just implement a mandatory online login or whatnot the first time the app is run to 'register' the game. Based off those stats it seems that blocking pirates from your game will still probably increase your potential sales based off curiosity for the app(if the app is good).

Also running hacked games on a jb iphone/ipod usually perform way worse than on a 'clean' system, so if the piraters found a game boring/unplayable, there would be no reason for them to buy it.

I still doubt apple will do much, unless more devs start complaining. Dev's should take action. Hmmm is it possible to push spam =D?

10-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdigger802 View Post
ya that article is interesting, especially how he mentioned that getting apps off those sites were easier than from the app store (especially on windows comp, stupid buggy mess of itunes). In the future most game devs should just implement a mandatory online login or whatnot the first time the app is run to 'register' the game. Based off those stats it seems that blocking pirates from your game will still probably increase your potential sales based off curiosity for the app(if the app is good).
The problem with that is that a lot of people resent having to fill in those forms. Just look at the reviews for ngmoco's free apps with plus+

The piracy thing is very worrying though. At my kids' school most of their friends are Jailbroken and most of those download pirate software. I suppose it could be argued that there is still useful word-of-mouth power in the few non pirates seeing all those pirate copies being played. At least that's what I'm trying to tell myself...

-=< Fat Owl With A Jetpack >=-
-=< Topia World Builder >=-
-=< Twitter >=-
-=< Blog >=-
10-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdigger802 View Post

Also running hacked games on a jb iphone/ipod usually perform way worse than on a 'clean' system, so if the piraters found a game boring/unplayable, there would be no reason for them to buy it.

I still doubt apple will do much, unless more devs start complaining. Dev's should take action. Hmmm is it possible to push spam =D?
Registration for apps would probably cause a lot of problems too, you don't want to bother legit paying customers, yet you don't want your game to be pirated...

It's just too easy to pirate an app on the iPhone, and really, it's going to be near impossible to stamp out all piracy. The only effective solution is making it much more difficult for the "average" pirate to get hold of a working copy. Apple will have to, sooner or later, play a bigger role in the situation.
10-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Developer has the UDID as does Apple. Pity they can't be matched.
10-26-2009, 08:32 PM
UDID F**** is what every pirate is using. Well, those in the know.

Last edited by DaveMc99; 10-26-2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: named it
10-26-2009, 08:58 PM
eh, but like plus+ network only requires 1 registration for all games that support it. They really needa do some of that things they did back then about sueing those ppl who dled music. Do something that can scare users, because developers know which iphone/ipod touches are pirating. They should be able to track your ass down. Who doesn't believe apple has there own findmyphone system for all iphones =)
10-26-2009, 10:21 PM
One thing that has deterred pirating with at least one of my friends is having quality DLC with a quality game. I only know of two, FAST and Tap Tap 3, but that seems like a good model to follow.
10-26-2009, 10:37 PM
This is inevitable unless Apple gets their act together and impelemnt hardware decryption at runtime, like how the consoles do it. Apple is just shooting themselves in the foot, even though games are ultra cheap on iPhone, once someone starts pirating they will almost never return back to a normal consumer (why? when u can get it for free with all the convience).
10-27-2009, 12:02 AM
Pretty depressing. (Not to mention, I don’t care what scores pirates are getting—give me a ranking against REAL players.)

I can’t see how pirating is truly “much easier” than buying from iTunes. iTunes has great search, and one-click purchasing! The best case anywhere else would also be one click… PLUS dragging to iTunes.

Of course you need to have signed up for an iTunes account… but to pirate, you need to deal with jailbreaking and the mysterious consequences of every update. I wouldn’t call that easier.

Morgan Adams (GameCenter: “Adams Immersive”)
My upcoming first game: Scree (Forum thread)
My upcoming VR horror experience: This is Not the Church of the Worm (Forum thread)
Stop making lists. Organize with shapes and colors instead: DotSpace (Forum thread)