★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Z is for Zombie ($.99)

10-27-2009, 06:14 AM
Z is for Zombie ($.99) - Version 1.1 out now

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to post an announcement that my first iPhone game is now in available in the App Store. It's called Z is for Zombie, and it's a side scrolling survival game. I've released a few iPhone apps before, but nothing this involved. I hand drew every bit of artwork for the game, it's basic on purpose.

The game uses a very basic control scheme. You move using the accelerometer and tap anywhere on the screen to shoot. You can adjust the accelerometer angle from the settings screen as well, so you're not locked into what I think is the ideal playing angle.

Version 1.1 has already been submitted, With 1.1 I've made the game 2x longer, and added some new gameplay features. I've also animated all the zombie deaths, so they explode with lots of blood. , and a better icon.

I've got a youtube trailer for the game up here:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Screenshots:

and a sneak peak at Version 1.1:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=306906813&mt=8

Last edited by jonmulcahy; 11-06-2009 at 07:13 AM. Reason: 1.1 Update
10-27-2009, 06:26 AM
cool, congrats on apple approval!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.

10-27-2009, 06:39 AM
congrats!

OpenFeint/Agon: Waward
Plus+: Ward
Beta Tester for Minigore & Katchup!
10-27-2009, 07:27 AM
looks creative but im not that into this kinda stuff
nice artwork though and congrats!

Beta tester of 54 games
Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
Thats a nice lookin gun.
10-27-2009, 08:05 AM
hopefully, someone will try this out and provide some quick impressions...stuck at work now but would love to hear what people think of it

Quote:
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
10-27-2009, 08:15 AM
Send a message via AIM to kohjingyu
Hmm, looks good. Good luck in the app store.
10-27-2009, 08:35 AM
If you want to check it out, it's here in the app store

app store
10-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Here's what I think: the game has a lot of potential that, sadly, goes unexplored. As you can see from the screens, the developer's take on the sketch-style is spot on: unlike, say, Sketch Dungeon, Z is for Zombie does feel like something you would find scribbled on a bored and lonely high-school student's notebook (that's high praise, by the way). I also really liked the crude mini-comic book that opens the story-mode, and the hand-drawn background are pretty epic (in a low-fi way).

Once the gameplay starts, though, it goes downhill fast. The game is less of a survival shooter and more of a zombie-themed shmup: zombies come down from right to left in a straight line, rather than coming after you, which cuts down dramatically on the tension (you get penalized if they get past you, but after you score enough points it doesn't really matter). Your ammunition is limited, but there's plenty of ammo crates, so running out is really not an issue. In any event, since the zombies don't pursue you, an empty clip just means that you have to dodge them instead of shooting at them. Add to that the fact that the accelerometer control is laggy and collision detection is pretty dodgy, and you end up with something that looks great, but really isn't much fun. Bloody zombie explosions would help, by the way, but not much.

Could the game be salvaged? Absolutely. It really only needs two things: 1) some semblance of an AI for the zombies, perhaps with variable speeds -- those suckers need to be coming for you; 2) dual-stick controls. A sketch-based, side-scrolling variation on iDracula would be awesome.
10-27-2009, 09:04 AM
a simple and amazing game... I really like how its hand drawn.. and the controls work really well
10-27-2009, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Here's what I think: the game has a lot of potential that, sadly, goes unexplored. As you can see from the screens, the developer's take on the sketch-style is spot on: unlike, say, Sketch Dungeon, Z is for Zombie does feel like something you would find scribbled on a bored and lonely high-school student's notebook (that's high praise, by the way). I also really liked the crude mini-comic book that opens the story-mode, and the hand-drawn background are pretty epic (in a low-fi way).

Once the gameplay starts, though, it goes downhill fast. The game is less of a survival shooter and more of a zombie-themed shmup: zombies come down from right to left in a straight line, rather than coming after you, which cuts down dramatically on the tension (you get penalized if they get past you, but after you score enough points it doesn't really matter). Your ammunition is limited, but there's plenty of ammo crates, so running out is really not an issue. In any event, since the zombies don't pursue you, an empty clip just means that you have to dodge them instead of shooting at them. Add to that the fact that the accelerometer control is laggy and collision detection is pretty dodgy, and you end up with something that looks great, but really isn't much fun. Bloody zombie explosions would help, by the way, but not much.

Could the game be salvaged? Absolutely. It really only needs two things: 1) some semblance of an AI for the zombies, perhaps with variable speeds -- those suckers need to be coming for you; 2) dual-stick controls. A sketch-based, side-scrolling variation on iDracula would be awesome.
or have it like Inkvaders with the side scrolling...what device did you play on since it was being laggy?

Quote:
Quote: