★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Rod Bowkett
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 15.7 MB
  • Version: 1.0
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Cubismo is a 3D puzzle based on the classic Soma cube and reinvented for iPhone. Requires dexterity and good spatial skills. There are only seven pieces and simple rules apply yet it can can be surprisingly challenging. 50 models to complete of varying difficulty levels.

Recommended for people who enjoy Engimo or Blocked.

mrbass's comments:

Youtube link | Pop Up

There is a 3D puzzle piece invented in like 1917 by some mathemitcian called Soma. You use the same 7 pieces like tetris but 3Dish not 2D ish so guess not like tetris (like tanagrams) and make shapes just like in tanagram games. Anyway if you have Rumis the game you can use those pieces. I spent like a day couple years ago with free software to generate some puzzles here's the soma_rumis.pdf with 60 puzzles if anyone wants to give it a spin.

There was another game that came out a quite awhile ago but I didn't like the interface and UI. Think I'm gonna give this a spin and see if it works or not.

Ok found the other Soma game it's Cubismo.

10-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Not another puzzler!!!!!

Beta tester of 54 games
Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
Thats a nice lookin gun.
10-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Yep another puzzler..hehe. Ok this one is really great for hardcore puzzlers ONLY (you've been warned). If you thought Wriggle was hard then your in for a treat with this one. I remember spending lots of time with those Rumis pieces. The interface works well.

The only quibble I have is the undo button takes away pieces in the order placed. I'm gonna email author and request a Remove piece feature too. Way I envision it would keep the piece color below when used but in a shaded very light shape. Double tapping that piece in the slot would return it to the slot.

Kids solving a Soma puzzle.

Last edited by mrbass; 10-27-2009 at 01:28 PM.
11-10-2009, 06:07 PM
I'm not really solving these Soma puzzles at the moment. Hopefully waiting for an update that'll let us remove the shapes in any order. Currently you must remove them in the order place so I find it a tad bit frustrating.

Here is some interesting tidbits I found about the history of soma.

Quote:
The Danish Author Piet Hein conceived the idea of the SOMA cube in 1936, during a lecture of Quantum physics by Werner Heisenberg (Father of the un-certain principle).

After having worked with the figures for some days, many find that the shapes have been them so wellknown, that they can solve SOMA-problems in their head. Tests carried out by European psycologists, have shown that, the capability to solve SOMA-puzzles generally follow the curve of intelligence, but - with some strange deviations at both ends of the intelligence curve. Some geniuses present pathetic results with the SOMA cubes, whereas some mentally retarded seem to have a special gift of spacial imagination, required by SOMA.

Parker Brothers Inc. produced a commercial version of the puzzle in the Summer of 1969.
Hmmm after reading that not sure if I want to be a genius or not at these puzzles. Just kidding.

Also don't forget to browse if curious all thousands of figures that you can create with just seven soma pieces.