Universal Plunder Kings - Shoot, Loot and Get Reckless!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by goodnightgames, Jul 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goodnightgames

goodnightgames Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    #1 goodnightgames, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    FEBRUARY 26TH WE ARE GOING LIVE!

Plunder Kings is a rouge-like shoot 'em up where gambling and flying recklessly aren't just dangerous they're the best way to win. Play as one of three different pilots each with unique ships and abilities. Pull off daring moves while killing enemies to earn upgrades and loot then gamble it all away like the filthy space pirate you are!

[​IMG]

We're currently in late alpha and looking at release in the fall! More info to come!

Follow us:
    Twitter
    Instagram

2. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Looks good! I dig the art style!

3. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    Thanks so much for the kind words! Glad you enjoy it!

4. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    Gambling in Plunder Kings

In Plunder Kings we’ve implemented an all or nothing gambling mechanic. The main goal of the game is to fight through waves and waves of enemies collecting the treasure they drop. The catch is that once you die everything you've collected drops into the ether with the remains of your ship. Play the game for longer and gain more loot but the enemies will become harder and more numerous.

So how do you keep your money?

Checkpoints spawn into the world intermittently. When captured the checkpoint lets the player choose whether to cash out or keep going with an additional life until they reach another checkpoint. If a player does cash out, they keep all the money they have earned and can spend it in the upgrade store to improve the attributes of their ships as well as unlock various different abilities.

If however you die between checkpoints you'll be given an ability to roll to keep your money. Roll the die right and you can keep your cash but there's a big chance you'll get nothing OR you'll lose money from your savings.

So how much do you want to risk?

[​IMG]

5. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    It's Monday so let's share some screenshots from development. Here you can clearly see some of the differences between ships and one of the un-lockable ultimate moves. Enjoy!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    #6 goodnightgames, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    How Does One Control a Ship?​

In Plunder Kings the ship follows your dragging finger around the screen at the speed of the drag. Simple right? Firing is done automatically by the ship so the player can focus on movement.

Activating the ship specific boost fire is done by double tapping once the purple meter is filled.

In order to use your un-lockable drone's power happens by tapping with two fingers on the screen, but only if you've collected or bought some ammo.

In order to use your ship specific special take two fingers and hold them on the screen for a second. We've designed the controls for nimble/twitchy movement. Enjoy this gif from the alpha version of the game and excuse some of the debugging text, we're still coding!

-Lawrence

7. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    If you're in the Manhattan August 19-20th at Play NYC. We'll have the Plunder Kings alpha as well as all of our library ready to play!

[​IMG]

8. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
  9. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
  10. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    "You’ll be able to better your weapons by collecting upgrades as your progress throughout the endless stages. Attack everything because the more money/loot you get, the more upgrades you can make to your attributes after you lose. I found that more health is always the way to go and I was able to impress Goodnight Games with my score and skill with stockpiled health! Plunder Kings is an addictive game that you will have trouble putting down because the controls are simple and the gameplay is really fun!"

- Gamerhub.tv

New article out on Plunder Kings from Gamerhub.tv!

11. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    Curious about how Plunder Kings controls?

[​IMG]

We're still working hard on it and we should have a release date within the next couple weeks. The gambling and shooting mechanics need to be perfect before we can give one. If you have any questions by all means ask.

12. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    If you're in the New Jersey area this weekend come by Parsippany and play the Plunder Kings alpha!

[​IMG]

In the coming weeks we're going to have new gameplay as the gambling mechanics are balanced and become presentable. ​

13. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    We've been silent for a little while because we've been working on balancing and adding all of the different mechanics to the game. I just wanted to stop by and show a little preview of some of the in game challenges that will pop up during play. Completing them will earn multipliers on the final score and some that involve special enemies can produce bonus loot!

[​IMG]

14. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    Here's a sneak peek at what we're working on for gambling in Plunder Kings. This menu will pop up and let you bet before play starts.

[​IMG]

If you could gamble on one thing in the game what would you like to bet on?

15. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #15 JCho133, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    Okay holy shit... this looks beautiful. Super GBA-esque looking sprites

Gambling aspect mixes things up nicely as well, I'm pumped to see more! Any chance of a gameplay vid sometime soon?

I'd like to bet on the number of super attacks I use, maybe? Or the amount of health/lives I lose

16. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    This looks fantastic....
    I'd say have multiple options to bet on, so that players can choose their own style, or take a risk depending on what they have a lot or a little of.
    So, kills, ammo, lives, waves, weapon types?

17. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    Whoa thanks so much on the kind words! I should have another gameplay video up soon like within the next 2 weeks. We just did a big overhaul on the size of everything, bringing it down a little bit to fit more on screen. When that and the gambling mechanics are finalized then I'll start recording as there will be a ton of new content to show.

Great suggestion on the bets. I really like the super attacks idea, I'm passing it to the lead programmer now who makes all the final decisions. I'll let you know what he thinks.

Vector we're definitely having multiple options to bet on. Right now we've got waves and kills. Ammo might be interesting and lives/health keeps popping up. I'll definitely pass this over to the lead programmer as well. Thanks for the great suggestions!

18. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    As promised new footage with a sneak peek at the gambling screen which is also missing a ton of art at the moment. Don't judge us too hard!​

Any questions about anything? I'll be happy to field them.

19. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    If you're in the NYC area we'll be here with Plunder Kings:

[​IMG]

October 28th, 2pm at Microsoft New York [It's across the street from Port Authority]

20. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York