★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone racing game Rally Master Pro suffers 95 per cent piracy on first day

10-27-2009, 01:01 PM
iPhone racing game Rally Master Pro suffers 95 per cent piracy on first day

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhon...ws.asp?c=16415

Quote:
If every month had a theme, the emerging theme for this month be iPhone piracy. A couple of weeks ago, ngmoco complained publicly about its games being hit by 50-90 per cent piracy rates in the first week. Then, the other day, Tap Fu developer Smells Like Donkey vented on its blog about 80-90 per cent piracy rates.

And now, acclaimed mobile developer Fishlabs is joining the chorus, claiming on the Touch Arcade forums that Rally Master Pro - which hit the App Store earlier today – suffered a piracy rate of 95 per cent. That means only one in twenty players actually paid for it.

Speaking to MobileEnt.biz, Fishlabs CEO Michael Schade reveals how he calculated this figure. "We track UDID's [unique device identifiers] anonymously per day, deduct the reported sales and we have the number of pirated downloads. In this case, many thousands on day one."

He goes on to question the free app/paid DLC model recently enabled by Apple and embraced by several other publishers - including ngmoco.

"Apple told us in-app purchase is one key against piracy, but I doubt that. We will see in the future how well in-app purchases fight piracy."

Do your bit if you're so inclined, and click 'Buy It!' below.

창의력
"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you would die today."
10-27-2009, 01:03 PM
Holy Sh*t . Man, I hate to be in their shoes.

10-27-2009, 01:13 PM
wow, that's just shocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.
10-27-2009, 01:19 PM
Don't really have words to say here. Just hoping DLC proves to be THE piracy killer apple is acclaiming it to be.
10-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNoSuperMan View Post
Don't really have words to say here. Just hoping DLC proves to be THE piracy killer apple is acclaiming it to be.
I hope it is, but unfortunately they'll find new ways to pirate.
10-27-2009, 01:24 PM
I'd prefer to see the figures over an extended amount of time, maybe 3months rather than launch day.
10-27-2009, 01:28 PM
I almost wonder if these devs aren't making this shit up.
10-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartel View Post
I almost wonder if these devs aren't making this shit up.
Yeah. That's what they're doing. Are you one of the 95%?

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
10-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
Yeah. That's what they're doing. Are you one of the 95%?
I'm actually very questionable whether developers would make a very high percentage like this up. While I doubt developers would, it does seem like a good way to get publicity and get people to buy your game in order to fight the piracy.

Games Uncovered / Twitter / YouTube
We are looking for reviewers to write at Games Uncovered. PM me if you are interested!
10-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palfince View Post
I'm actually very questionable whether developers would make a very high percentage like this up. While I doubt developers would, it does seem like a good way to get publicity and get people to buy your game in order to fight the piracy.

That logic might work for a $0.99 app, or even a $1.99, or $2.99 app (questionably). However, I doubt one can rally (pun intended) the idevice masses in support of a cause for $6.99.

창의력
"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you would die today."