★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Fluttr - Simple, Quick & Fun! ($1)

10-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Fluttr - Simple, Quick & Fun! ($1)

indieSpring studio’s first commercial title is now available on the iPhone app store worldwide!

Fluttr tasks you with saving a butterfly from an explosive end by sweeping aside flowers, poking away bees and pinning up spiders. Easy to pick up and play, with quick, fun gameplay paced gently in a unique artistic setting.

Fluttr is built upon the torque iT2D platform from GarageGames, and is available as a free download for PC & Mac. Over at indieSpring we’re huge fans of the torque suite of tools, and it was a natural fit for us when we were considering a quick-to-prototype game platform which could deploy to the iPhone. Having a PC and Mac versions easily exported was a huge bonus!

Version 1.2 is on it's way with OpenFeint integration, tweaked difficulty settings and a couple of performance improvements! We’ve got plenty more plans for titles on Apples iPhone and the more traditional platforms, with plans to get at least 1 shipped before Xmas – so keep your eyes peeled on our blog, or even better, follow us on Twitter!

If you have any comments about the game please post away! I'd love to hear your feedback and comments
10-27-2009, 03:29 PM

Looks good!

Add me on Steam for TF2: eggzbacon

Last edited by Prab; 10-27-2009 at 11:10 PM. Reason: appinfo

10-28-2009, 04:28 AM
Incidentally, if anyone would like a promo code to review Fluttr I'd be happy to provide one!
10-28-2009, 04:52 AM
I would like a promo code
10-28-2009, 05:45 AM
I'd like promo code too. Sending a pm now. Thank you.
10-28-2009, 06:29 AM
the touch interface looks like it would work really well for this game and it's like a reverse copter, would also appreciate receiving a promo code

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.
10-28-2009, 08:15 AM
All sent

Thank you all for the interest! We have an update in the approval process to polish the performance and interface a little bit, so that should ease any stuttering some people see on older devices.
10-28-2009, 06:39 PM
I've now played a few games of this (thank you for the promo code).

The premise of the game is, of course, to let your butterfly fly as far as you can. Unlike most copter type games where you are altering the flight plath of the object to avoid obstacles, with Fluttr you are moving the obstacles out of the way.

As the butterfly flies along going up and down as it wants, you have to swipe flowers up or down to move them out of the way. There are also bees and spiders to move as well. The longer your flight lasts the more the speed picks up, it gets pretty noticeable once you reach around 700 or so in score.

Pros:
-simple gameplay: swipe to move flowers (though be careful you move them all the way up to the top, they will sometimes stop halfway up), you can also flick, but the flowers don't respond nearly as well
-the music is a nice relaxing new agey, tribal type music - i really liked it
-local hi score

Cons:
-when the game loads, between the Indie Spring and iTGB screen there is a bright white screen flashed up for a second or two: it was just unpleasant to be suddenly blinded
-there are no directions on how to play: if I had not seen the video, I would have had no idea what to do
-it seems that the flowers can fail to register your touch and not move when swiped/flicked: this is what kills me in the end as the butterfly is flying fast enough that you don't have time to repeatedly swipe/flick a flower before you need to move another obstacle
-I could not find any options to mute the sound besides using the mute button on my iphone
-the pause button can be unresponsive
-you can't save your progress mid-game or if you get a call

Overall, if you like and appreciate simple, pick up and play games, this is certainly a charmer. The music and gameplay are very cute and entertaining; I liked the idea of having to move the obstacles out of the way instead of moving the butterly. It would also be awesome to have some achievements for distance reached or even to have different butterflies unlocked for reaching certain goals.

Here's some youtube video...the music you hear is what is in the game.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.
10-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Thank you DG, for a really thorough and honest review.

Your cons are really useful , and I hope to addresss each of them in our next version. A lot are ideas we had but were omitted in order to get a release through the door! A product of our over-eagerness. Version 1.2 will be far more refined, with some of the "expected" features of apps.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write up your experiences, it is incredibly helpful.
10-29-2009, 04:41 PM
It looks good so far, I'll wait for updates to fix what DG mentioned. I love the music though.