★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

"I quit my job, now I cannot get Apple to pay me out for iPhone Apps"

10-27-2009, 09:58 PM
"I quit my job, now I cannot get Apple to pay me out for iPhone Apps"

A post from a poor developer on another message board I use. Not your usual tale of woe:

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=906168

I thought this might be interesting to developers here; some of the advice offered is quite good.

David - Hackdirt
Smashed is out: iTunes (promo site)
10-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Damn. That sucks. Now the last few minutes of my day are becoming sort of depressing... Apple should have faster response times.

10-27-2009, 10:37 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to mobile1up
i think its unfortunate.

you need to be 100% clear about the information you submit to Apple - changing it can be a total nightmare. we've never had any problems with payments from Apple; they arrive every month, on time and in our account since October 2008. i have heard lots of bad reports when people provide bad or incorrect information - they should really be more careful (and, apple should also be more responsive)

// Aaron Ardiri
Mobile 1UP is a proud indie developer - support us!
developer of Caveman / Caveman HD and GW Series
10-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Have one foot in a boat sturdy..so you dont fall out?
Something like that.

Made that a while ago for AquaGlobs .
10-27-2009, 10:55 PM
This person is an idiot and whatever happens to them is their fault. Who quits their job just because they make 2500 dollars? What? And why would he say that he is a company based in England, when he is just an individual from elsewhere? This person is very stupid, and quite frankly, they deserve what they are getting. If they had just taken the time to make everything right, they wouldnt be complaining right now.
10-28-2009, 03:03 AM
sometimes its great

I had a problem with a discount (web only) bank I use and after Apple notified me of the problem, I went out got a new account at a major bank and submitted my details to them through the contact us form. They updated my bank information almost immediately and notified me that they had done so. Problem solved.

Get fired up and hit the road in Assault Bandit
Take flight through the night skies in Unicorn Rush!
Spark It Up! - Zombie Dash - Anomaly - www.sumiguchi.com - Videos Here!
Have a toddler at home? Take a break while they learn to count: Count With Me (Free - No ads/links or other BS)
10-28-2009, 03:44 AM
do you guys really have sympathy for people who quit their jobs thinking they can get rich quick in a cutthroat market? I already knew it would be impossible for devs to generate a constant revenue stream for their apps after seeing how quickly their games could be cloned with much higher production values for competitive prices.
10-28-2009, 06:48 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to mobile1up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
do you guys really have sympathy for people who quit their jobs thinking they can get rich quick in a cutthroat market? I already knew it would be impossible for devs to generate a constant revenue stream for their apps after seeing how quickly their games could be cloned with much higher production values for competitive prices.
i dont pity this guy - i feel it is unfortunate.

all business ideas need good planning and execution - he obviously screwed up the execution side of things. you gotta run a cost effective model, spend little, earn more. a lot of players have tried to make it big and now are in debt. it is good news for indie devs like myself (who, do this for fun) - but, i wouldn't quit my job over it.

// Aaron Ardiri
Mobile 1UP is a proud indie developer - support us!
developer of Caveman / Caveman HD and GW Series
10-28-2009, 11:30 AM
First thing I would do is borrow $99, create a new, correct dev account, and re-submit all my apps under the new account. That would at least stop the bleeding.
10-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Anyone know what happened with this guy at last?
I read he sent an email to Steve Jobs. I don't think S.J. is more than a face in the company. C'mon, he's just the visible face of a huge company, that's it.

I'm always smiling. That's my style. And I don't know if it works. But when you're on the train with 100 people watching you. You know you're kicking ass dude. (Bob Rosset)