[BETA] Vista Golf - Minimalist Mini Golf with new courses every week

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by shallotgames, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shallotgames

shallotgames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jul 15, 2017
    #1 shallotgames, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2017
    Hello all! Vista Golf is nearing it's launch next week on July 26th, we are conducting our beta test to iron out any last-minute bugs. Any tester help would be very much appreciated, and of course any input for future updates is welcome.

Description:
    Vista Golf is a simple but elegant mini golf game, defined by crisp controls and the endless competition of new courses every week. We wanted to create the purest form of mini golf in your pocket, so if you seek both fun and frustration, Vista Golf is your game.

Modes:
    -Competitive Mode: Each week, compete for the top spot across three 18-hole courses. At the end of each week, three leaders are crowned, and three beautiful new courses will be opened.
    -Infinite Mode: Relax and play as far as you'd like on our slightly-larger-than-regulation-size endless course.

Features:
    -3 new courses every week!
    -Cross-platform leaderboards!
    -Achievements with unlockable badges!
    -Infinite mode!
    -Simple drag-and-shoot controls!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[size=+1]TestFlight Sign Up Form[/size]

Shallot Games
    Twitter

Thanks so much for taking a look!
    -Rscar

2. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Looks good!
    Like a more detailed GOLFINITY?

3. shallotgames

Patreon Gold

Jul 15, 2017
    Thank you! Yes, I really liked GOLFINITY! There are plenty of similarities, mostly controls, and Vista Golf's infinite mode. In addition to the things GOLFINITY does well, I wanted to open up the camera movement so you could set up shots a bit better, utilize physics/course generation to add more vertical elements of gameplay (like using ramps to hop parts of the course), and add some competitive element. I'm hoping that by opening new courses every week, it will retain the fun of infinite gameplay, but make number of strokes/score actually matter, which I think is a hugely fun part of golf that a lot of infinite golf games miss out on.

4. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Oh boy. Very, very up my street.

Looking forward to this.

5. jForsythe

jForsythe Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Will we be able to make our own courses.?
    I only ask cause I remember a game called simgolf which let you make and run your own golf course, God i miss that game so much fun. Simgolf would make a awesome port to iOS just like rct.

6. shallotgames

Patreon Gold

Jul 15, 2017
    Not currently planned, but it could definitely be a possibility! I personally love games with create your own content, so you've got that working in your favor :p The number of skate parks I made in Tony Hawk on the N64...

7. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    User created content is a fantastic addition to any game.

8. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    Just played a few holes before bed. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

Seems very polished. It has a nice clean, simple aesthetic. Gameplay "feels" just right; hard to define but the power level fits my idea of what 50%, 100% etc. should feel like for example. Bounces are predictable, loosing what feels like the right amount of momentum.

Really looking forward to getting my teeth into this one.
    Too many games, not enough time!!!

9. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Looks pretty cool!

10. shallotgames

Patreon Gold

Jul 15, 2017
    So glad you've enjoyed the bit you've played! Have definitely spent more than a few hours polishing.

Thanks so much for the feedback, I really would love to add user generated courses - just gotta get through release and ensure we've got a solid foundation before we continue building!

11. yearoftherat

yearoftherat Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Have to agree on this :)

12. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Thanks for the beta invite, can't wait to start testing

13. shallotgames

Patreon Gold

Jul 15, 2017
    Absolutely! Thank you for helping us out!

14. cindywong

cindywong Member

Jul 18, 2017
    Excellent

Totally getting this! :) im hoping this one is awesome!

15. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Still looking for testers? Looks totally awesome!

16. Buss1985

Buss1985 Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Just finished the Taipei course. Really like the controls and the speed of the game. Looks really nice too. Looking forward to spending some more time on this.

Just two quick observations:

1. Some of the Pars on levels seem a bit off. Can't remember an example off the top of my head but on Taipei there was a very difficult par 3 followed by a really, really easy par 4. Think it might have been holes 10 and 11.

2. Sometimes the background objects get in the way of your shot line. On one hole I had a tree blocking my ball and the tunnel through a castle so had to completely guess. I have no idea on how easy this would be but maybe add a transparency to trees when the camera is directly behind them?

17. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    You know that you can just rotate the view? You don't have to be viewing from behind to make the shot.

18. Buss1985

Buss1985 Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Yeah I do but there are certain sightlines that get blocked from all angles which make the shot a bit of guesswork.

Anyway, finished all the courses now (1 shot off top spot on Taipei) and I really like this game. About to get into infinite mode now.

19. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    I see. I haven't encountered a hole like that but I'm only just getting towards the end of Taipei.
    That could definitely do with being addresses then I imagine.

20. shallotgames

Patreon Gold

Jul 15, 2017
    Thank you! I'm glad you've enjoyed it thus far, and congrats on grabbing the number 1 Taipei spot!

1. Yes, the Pars are definitely not perfect. The levels are actually all procedurally generated and not handmade, so the Par is generated too - my algorithm just kinda takes it's best shot at guessing based on a few parameters. Maybe this could be improved a little, but over an entire course, my thought is that the Par will normalize. As you've noticed, some are way under and some are way over, so hopefully they balance each other out.

2. You're not the first to bring up this problem and I'm definitely considering implementing the transparency thing you talk about. Truthfully I want to get more feedback on this before deciding on a change - I almost kind of like the difficulty added by vision obstruction (like in real golf if you get stuck behind a tree or something), but it may just be aggravating to people and not actually add anything. Your vote has been added to the stack for now :p

Just wanted to say thanks again for playing as much as you have, and for sharing your opinions! This is definitely the type of feedback I'm looking for at the moment - very helpful.