★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Finn in 1989 Promo Code Contest

07-16-2017, 02:42 PM
Finn in 1989 Promo Code Contest

To celebrate the release of my first game, I'm giving away 10 free promo codes for Finn in 1989.

Rules to get a promo code:
  • * Add a comment to this post describing what recent game or book makes you feel nostalgic for the 1980s.
  • * Ask me anything about making a game with my family.
  • * I'll send you a promo code.

About Deeper Games:

Deeper Games is a family run indie studio based out of Seattle, WA. We make games rooted in nostalgia for the 80's, and we reminisce about technology that our son thinks are antiques.

About Finn in 1989

This is a love letter to the 80's, and any fans of interactive fiction. This is for the fans of Stranger Things, Ready Player One, anyone who stayed up all night playing Nintendo, and fans of interactive fiction.

Finn in 1989 is a playable, interactive story of survival against all odds. A young boy discovers he's lost in time with only his backpack and his walkie-talkie. Help young Finn make life or death decisions, and unearth the mystery behind his disappearance.
07-16-2017, 04:08 PM
Living in the UK,the recent Console/pc game Lumo is a great nostalgic game for the old computer games of the zx spectrum.
Did your family help with any ideas and nostalgia you never thought of putting in?

07-16-2017, 04:19 PM
Our 10 year old son created a few soundtracks with his iPad for me, but we're still working on them.. perhaps for the sequel? lol. The artwork for the cover was done by my husband (who's also working on getting a webpage up and running for me as we speak).

I'll have to check out Lumo again... did you know the ZX Spectrum has been Kickstarted again? http://www.specnext.com/
07-16-2017, 04:22 PM
Congrats on your new game! 868-HACK is a recent rogue-like with old-school sensibilities that I've been enjoying.

Are any characters in your game influenced by any members of your family?
07-16-2017, 04:28 PM
Thanks CD! added 868-HACK to my list... Finn himself is basically a blend of myself and our son. Our son completely geeks out about his iPad games like i did with the NES.. and quotes Monty Python too. One other character is based on a childhood dog, but I can't say too much
07-16-2017, 05:01 PM
Visiting my father this weekend and while digging around amongst old comics for my boys I found a magazine for Commodore Vic 20 gaming. Now that's nostalgia! Imagine nowadays typing in the code yourself before you could play a game. Actually it wasn't al that really was it?

My question for you is how on earth do you convince your son the 80s were cool enough to make a game about them? My9 and 11 year old boys think I'm some kind of fossil
07-16-2017, 05:16 PM
@pisiform Our son read the entire game and didn't quiet get some of the references, but everything seems to come back in style after 30+ years right? As for the Commodore Vic 20 I haven't seen one of those in a long time... makes me want to start collecting the old consoles and get the game room going for us.
07-16-2017, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeper Games View Post
@pisiform Our son read the entire game and didn't quiet get some of the references, but everything seems to come back in style after 30+ years right?
Absolutely. Off to play your game now. Looking forward to it. Nostalgia beckons...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5037.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	349.5 KB
ID:	115515  
07-16-2017, 06:48 PM
Hi congrats for releasing this good looking game.
The recent game that make me feel nostalgia is Retro City Rampage.
What's the next game you and your family will make next? Will you release games on other systems too? Thanks
07-16-2017, 07:03 PM
Nostalgia about the 80's lately would have to be Stranger Things and Ready Player One. Especially the book RP1. Reminded me of so many things from my youth. Me and my brother have been thinking about coding together lately. Do you find there is any issues with respecting each other's time when working with family? Just wondering considering there are no boundaries in my family. If I get a promo code I appreciate it. Other wise I am sure I'll be checking this one out.