★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Chef Wars - Food Discovery RPG by Mindcake Games

07-19-2017, 08:50 AM
Chef Wars - Food Discovery + World Travel RPG

Hey guys!

Excited to be doing our virgin post as Mindcake Games!

About Chef Wars
We're a 3-person indie doing a Food Discovery RPG! Players travel around the world to recruit chefs, source ingredients, and invent hundreds of real-life recipes. They can then use those recipes to win themed kitchen battles!

The battles are quite simple. Players pick the recipe they think best suits the competition themes, and get scored by the judges (think the old DOS Pizza Tycoon, or Suikoden's Cooking Battle mini-game). If you win, you get cash and fame! The game's depth shines in the prep-work required outside battles:
  • - You can travel to 500+ cities and towns around Europe and Asia. The map is fully and freely explorable - the pic below is literally Europe at 6% zoom! The point is to learn about difficult cultures and cuisines.
  • - Each location has markets with specialty ingredients, about 200+ worldwide. Then you can combine those ingredients to invent and upgrade over 900 recipes, each with their own attributes.
  • - There are 11 judges with unique personalities. Example, some judges really care about your dish's relevance to the theme. Some just care about having an upgraded/tasty recipe. And each judge has preferences too - like some like French dishes, or spicy food, etc.
  • - Each recruitable chef has unique traits which makes them good with certain dishes. There are storylines and missions for each chef as well.

Our Inspiration
We really love games like Civilization, Koei's Uncharted Waters New Horizons, and Carmen Sandiego! So we want to build mobile games which let players explore the world and learn about different cultures. With Chef Wars, it just happens to be about food!

Progress
We're actually quite late into our development, and hoping to launch in the next 2 months (depending on bugs and optimization). We do welcome any feedback and support - things you think would be cool! We plan to update the game every month (new chefs, regions, recipes, missions) if there's some love for the game!

**Update**
We're now in Open Beta on Android, and closed beta on iOS!
If you'd like to play on Android, we've been featured on Google Early Access here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...games.chefwars
If you'd like to play on iOS via Testflight, send us a note at contact@mindcakegames.com!

You can also join our FB playtest group here:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/chefwars/

Or follow us on FB or Twitter:
FB: http://www.facebook.com/mindcakegames/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/mindcakes

Thanks!
Cliff, Karlo and Lois from the Mindcake Team

Mindcake Games - We build discovery games!
mindcakegames.com | Facebook | Twitter
Developers of Chef Wars!

Last edited by MindCakeGames; 10-18-2017 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Updated! Chef Wars is now LIVE!
07-19-2017, 08:54 AM
That sounds really interesting and can't wait to Play it!

07-19-2017, 08:56 AM
Thanks thanks! Really appreciate that!

Developers of Chef Wars!
07-19-2017, 09:26 AM
I am down for this looks great!
07-19-2017, 09:52 AM
Not really my kind of game but the art looks awesome! Good luck with the release!
07-19-2017, 10:50 AM
Thanks guys, totally appreciate it!
Forgot to mention there are limited social features like friend and global rankings, and campers/tents of your friends appearing on the map for goodies!

We'd like to expand the game with more stuff too like PVP, city claiming / master chef, etc. if things go well!

Developers of Chef Wars!
07-19-2017, 11:20 AM
Looks amazing! What kind of F2P model will this follow?
07-19-2017, 09:17 PM
Hey @JackDerp,

Thanks a lot, and sorry for the long post ahead. We've thought about this a lot and feel it's an important point.

While it's F2P, we won't be building paywalls since the point of the game is world exploration. Things you can buy are mostly vanity and convenience features, like:
- Slots to recruit more chefs and learn more recipes, if you want to hold more at a time.
- Some special chefs and skins.
- You can also pay gems to teleport to some cities you already visited, but you can also do that with cash (in-game currency), hoof it over the world map, or if a city has a boss you can teleport there for free.

You can actually finish the game without paying a cent - using the default number of slots and with chefs who are already available across the globe. There are also no ads.

We know we might be shooting ourselves in the foot monetization-wise since it's pretty generous. But we found that putting paywalls discourages discovery and exploration. Ex, we experimented with heart/gas systems but it was jarring and limiting for the type of experience we wanted to create.

Developers of Chef Wars!
07-20-2017, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindCakeGames View Post
Hey @JackDerp,

Thanks a lot, and sorry for the long post ahead. We've thought about this a lot and feel it's an important point.

While it's F2P, we won't be building paywalls since the point of the game is world exploration. Things you can buy are mostly vanity and convenience features, like:
- Slots to recruit more chefs and learn more recipes, if you want to hold more at a time.
- Some special chefs and skins.
- You can also pay gems to teleport to some cities you already visited, but you can also do that with cash (in-game currency), hoof it over the world map, or if a city has a boss you can teleport there for free.

You can actually finish the game without paying a cent - using the default number of slots and with chefs who are already available across the globe. There are also no ads.

We know we might be shooting ourselves in the foot monetization-wise since it's pretty generous. But we found that putting paywalls discourages discovery and exploration. Ex, we experimented with heart/gas systems but it was jarring and limiting for the type of experience we wanted to create.
Thanks for the reply! Sounds like a more than fair model to me . I'm looking forward to the release!
07-20-2017, 11:49 AM
Wow you are setting yourself up to become my most favorite game ever. When I read "Pizza Tycoon" I became excited but then you added "New Horizons"?!? It's almost like you knew my favorite games from the old days and tailored your post around me. Needless to say I am excited!