★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Are there any games as art games?

10-28-2009, 05:51 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Are there any games as art games?

Hi forum,

I am looking for new gaming experiences here

let's start a list with games which try to have some artistic meaning or try to convey meaning, emotion etc... or do things differently

I know that the Jason Rohrer game Passage is in the app store. I think that is the best known art game.

Spider by Randy Smith is doing some interesting things with exploring an old house ...

there is that creepy audio game with a house, but I don't remember the name. But I think it is a candidate...

if you stumble upon an "art" game, share it here!

Last edited by brof; 10-28-2009 at 07:40 AM.
10-28-2009, 06:51 AM
Ian Bogost - Guru Meditation

that is a game using Atari VCS style graphics.

very interesting concept ... I like the fact that it looks like an Atari 2600 game.

Last edited by brof; 10-28-2009 at 07:26 AM.

10-28-2009, 06:58 AM
is the appinfo tag working? How do I do it?

Last edited by brof; 10-28-2009 at 07:38 AM. Reason: it is working now!
10-28-2009, 07:29 AM
zen bound - boring as tears, but artistic
inkvaders - love the paper art style of the game
Z is for Zombie - some of the best doodle art I've seen in quite awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.
10-28-2009, 07:29 AM
You should try FancyStacker,It's Art style.
Here is the link for more information:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...t=fancystacker

Puzzle game Falling Match = Tetris + Color match 3 + Physics.

Last edited by phoenixreanimation; 10-29-2009 at 08:54 AM.
10-28-2009, 07:44 AM
Zen Bound is really an great example for an art game. I would not call it boring, except if someone would find it boring to go to a museum and look at a painting.

What I love about the game is the spatial feeling you get when you touch, rotate, stringing the object. Really great!

here we go

10-28-2009, 07:50 AM
inkvaders.. hm.. okay, it looks like a comic strip and plays like a standard sidescroller... I think it is a good game/toy, but does it really convey other emotions than fun?

I think 99% of all games do target fun as the main purpose (rightfully so), but I am interested in that 1 % which have a different agenda/theme like Passage, Zen Bound, Guru... where fun is not the main thing...
10-28-2009, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brof View Post
Zen Bound is really an great example for an art game. I would not call it boring, except if someone would find it boring to go to a museum and look at a painting.
OK, you can count me in that category...yeah, I have zero interest in going to a museum to look at paintings. You would have to pay me to go and then buy me a nice dinner afterwards.

hmmm, games that try to convey other emotions...that is a tough one

iChainLife is a simple chain reaction game, but each subsequent explosion causes a note on a piano to be played and you can create interesting sounding tunes just from the randomness.

Volcano Planet - you must suppress volcanic gases on an asteroid, but each volcano has it's own tone. Once you've lost, the game plays the song you've composed during the course of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.
10-28-2009, 09:03 AM

reminds me of Bloom by Brian Eno (which I own since Day 1 ) Bloom is really relaxing. The sounds/music is really unique to Eno. And it is interactive! Technically, I would not call it a game since there are no rules, no goals, no progress etc...

p.s. thanks Mod, this place for the thread feels much more appropriate. I was worried it could get buried in the other thread... didn't notice that the other thread is only for releases... sorry

Last edited by brof; 10-28-2009 at 09:08 AM.
10-28-2009, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilishly Good View Post
OK, you can count me in that category...yeah, I have zero interest in going to a museum to look at paintings.
yeah, that's the kind of experience I am looking for, but in the interactive medium or game space (if you want).

There is really some good work of game art to be found here!
Still very niche though...

btw: a lot of people go to the museum... what else do you do if you travel to a foreign country...? you go to a museum and get bored

Last edited by brof; 10-28-2009 at 09:15 AM.