★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

How important is multiplayer to you in Red Alert

10-28-2009, 10:10 AM
How important is multiplayer to you in Red Alert

For me, it's make or break. I am the biggest Red Alert and RTS fan you'll ever find. I bought and played every single C&C and Red Alert game at launch. I bought RA 3 on both the PC and the Xbox 360 and lter on bought the superior PS3 version at launch as well for the free online.

But without multiplayer I don't see any point to getting this version. The AI is always garbage. The whole point of RTSs is to play against other people because they pose an actual challenge.
If I can't play this game against my friend who lives in New York, what would be the point in either of us buying the game?
10-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Send a message via AIM to onewithchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikoogle View Post
For me, it's make or break. I am the biggest Red Alert and RTS fan you'll ever find. I bought and played every single C&C and Red Alert game at launch. I bought RA 3 on both the PC and the Xbox 360 and lter on bought the superior PS3 version at launch as well for the free online.

But without multiplayer I don't see any point to getting this version. The AI is always garbage. The whole point of RTSs is to play against other people because they pose an actual challenge.
If I can't play this game against my friend who lives in New York, what would be the point in either of us buying the game?
didnt someone mention in the other thread that multiplayer is gonna be DLC for this game?

But yea, its a big deal breaker too.

10-28-2009, 10:33 AM
I think it adds a huge level of replay ability to the game. Given that my friends and I love the game so much, it would allow us to pit ourselves against one another. Playing versus is gold, until someone can create an A.I. that can have variable changes(offensive/defensive etc..) to it's strategy, so it will act more like a human player, which never gets old.

Dylan1696 ]
Playing: ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿╤──'─, Discworld, Broken Sword, Flight of the Amazon Queen The Secret of Monkey Island: SE, Jim & Frank BRM, Highborn
10-28-2009, 11:29 AM
It needs multiplayer for free!!!!! Or else their greedy monsters
the game itself will probably be a lot
10-28-2009, 11:30 AM
it is very important, it makes the game endless. I wouldn't mind paying although free would be better

Plus+ id: Fudgeboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamazar View Post
I find DG incredibly sexy, just sayin'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot View Post
You scare me, you honestly scare me
10-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikoogle View Post

sigh. sounds like "i know what's best, how dare anyone else think different".
10-28-2009, 12:21 PM
For me I don't really know anyone with iPhones/iPod touches to play against and don't care for playing against strangers so it's not a deal breaker if the game stands on it's own. However, I love multiplayer co-op enough to try that even online so that would be a bonus for me. But I'm probably an exception to the norm.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
I have all the gumballs!
10-28-2009, 12:24 PM
It's all about playing with other people! We don't need to play by ourselves anymore, we all have Internet-connected devices, it's a no-brainer to have online multiplayer!

😈
10-28-2009, 02:20 PM
IMHO it will still be an awesome game even without multiplayer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticktron View Post
It's all about playing with other people! We don't need to play by ourselves anymore, we all have Internet-connected devices, it's a no-brainer to have online multiplayer!

"when he eats three poops and becomes muscle bound, that was worth the .99 right there." -Super Fly!
Tetris and Bubble Wrap had a baby and named it Super Juicy!
TouchGen Best of 2009 Finalist! 5/5 Best of 2009
10-28-2009, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
IMHO it will still be an awesome game even without multiplayer.
I agree.

My PC Red Alert games used to last for hours. Even if games in this trimmed-down mobile version only last 1/2 hour - it's still too long to consistently finish online games with strangers.

Online friends & local multiplayer is a different kettle of fish tho.

I'm most looking forward to the skirmish mode (which I can drop in & out of over the course of a day).