★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Other Devices / Stores

10-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Other Devices / Stores

Hi people,

do you guys port your apps over to other handsets? Like Blackberry, Android Nokia or Palm Pre? What are your expierences with the other stores? Do you think its worth a look? I am looking the whole day, but i cannot find some good statistics about the other shops.

best.

r.
10-28-2009, 11:13 AM
The problem I see with other devices is that they never standardized the unit like Apple has with the iPod Touch and iPhone. Ok, Palm may be standardized at the moment with the Pre, but I don't see their platform as worthwhile yet.

Take a look at all the flavors of Windows Mobile, with different screen resolutions, input methods (number pad? keyboard? touch? a combo?), different memory, different processors types and different speeds, etc. Its a support nightmare! Blackberry is in the same boat, fragmenting their product line up into handsets with different capabilities. Even Android has this problem. All for the sake of "open-ness". If a developer can't count on a specific feature being present in any significant majority of your product line, he/she probably won't bother writing programs for it

The best thing Apple did was to make all their devices essentially the same. Same input methods, screen resolution, etc. Granted there are some CPU speed differences (and other minor stuff) now, but thats peanuts compared to the other guys.

In a nutshell, I've looked at it on several occasions, and have not deemed it worth my time yet. There was an article about the Android store that told of a developer with an app in the top five of it's category, and it made about $68 a day. A top five spot on any chart in Apple's store is worth so much more it's not funny!

My view may change in the future, but for now I'll take on more consulting work or start working on another iPhone game before I bother trying to port to another platform

--- ChronoSoft ---
Support your roguelikes! Play Rogue Touch today!
Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach --- Work in progress! Follow us on Twitter!

10-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Developing for mobile phones has always been a lot of hell. The iPhone was unique in that it's such a closed system it has made development easy to developers. Blackberries and Android phones are still caught in the old multiple-device-configurations dilemma.

Things are slightly better for Android, but if I was looking for another device, I'd actually look at the PSP. Its consistent hardware specifications, coupled with Sony's push toward online purchases, makes it the most comparable eco-system to the iPhone. They also have a lot of devices out there (quite close to the number of idevices), and digital games will work with both old and new PSPs. Biggest problem I see is Sony's dev kit fee, which I believe is 100x more than the Apple $99 fee, although this does have the advantage of discouraging shovelware, so you should hopefully end up with less competition.
10-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderData View Post
The problem I see with other devices is that they never standardized the unit like Apple has with the iPod Touch and iPhone.

The best thing Apple did was to make all their devices essentially the same. Same input methods, screen resolution, etc. Granted there are some CPU speed differences (and other minor stuff) now, but thats peanuts compared to the other guys.
that was true of the iphone/touch, but not so much anymore, since the differences between the 3rd generation touch and 2nd, and 3gs and 3g, are hardly 'minor stuff'. there differences are VERY noticeable.

so devs will be somewhat caught in a bind to do more work and offer more optional features for those devices that support it, or risk not standing out enough from the 'normal' apps.
10-28-2009, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by araczynski View Post
that was true of the iphone/touch, but not so much anymore, since the differences between the 3rd generation touch and 2nd, and 3gs and 3g, are hardly 'minor stuff'. there differences are VERY noticeable.

so devs will be somewhat caught in a bind to do more work and offer more optional features for those devices that support it, or risk not standing out enough from the 'normal' apps.
Compared to completely different CPU architectures, different input methods, different resolutions, and so forth on all other device families... I definitely call the bump in processor speed and RAM between the generations of iPhone and iPod Touch very minor from a programmer's point of view. Even the new OpenGL ES 2.0 support isn't that big a deal, as long as you plan to degrade gracefully to 1.1 features for older devices.

Contrast this with the other guys: do I have a 176x256 screen, or 320x240, or 720x480, or any one of several dozen combinations? Do I have touch screen capability? Is it capacitive multi-touch, or resistive single touch? Do I have accelerated 2D/3D graphics of any kind, or will all that be handled in software with the CPU? Is there an accelerometer present or not? Is there WiFi on board? What non-upgradable OS is installed? I could go on and on, every single one of their various handsets is different. You cannot rely on any standard features except that *there are no standard features*!

It boggles the mind... And makes it virtually impossible that any sort of decent game could be made for the other platforms that supports their entire product line. This task is still very easy with the iPhone and iPod Touch...

--- ChronoSoft ---
Support your roguelikes! Play Rogue Touch today!
Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach --- Work in progress! Follow us on Twitter!
10-28-2009, 05:01 PM
Send a message via MSN to MindJuice Send a message via Skype™ to MindJuice
I wish there was a way to target 2.2.1 devices and 3.0 and up with a single build.

Would be awesome if I could detect 3.0 OS and then make use of 3.0 features, but fall back to 2.2.1 when those are not present.

Last edited by MindJuice; 10-28-2009 at 05:06 PM.
10-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindJuice View Post
I wish there was a way to target 2.2.1 devices and 3.0 with a single build.

Would be awesome if I could detect 3.0 OS and then make use of 3.0 features, but fall back to 2.2.1 when those are not present.
You can... http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=24038. Check the post at the bottom

Check out Sheepish, 100+ levels of puzzle fun! With sheep!
And more about us: www.pixelthismobile.com
plus+ id: Newtz
10-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Send a message via MSN to MindJuice Send a message via Skype™ to MindJuice
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelthisMike View Post
You can... http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=24038. Check the post at the bottom
Wow! Ask and ye shall receive! I will definitely give that a closer look tonight!

Thanks!

ps! I think I need more exclamation marks!!!!!
10-28-2009, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Wow! Ask and ye shall receive! I will definitely give that a closer look tonight!

Thanks!

Haha if only everything we asked for came so easily! Note that I am yet to try this out for myself but I have seen the same or similar method outlined elsewhere too so hopefully it's solid

Check out Sheepish, 100+ levels of puzzle fun! With sheep!
And more about us: www.pixelthismobile.com
plus+ id: Newtz
10-28-2009, 07:19 PM
Quote:

Thanks!

Not sure if it adds any help, but I recently read this article that seems to go into a bit more depth on this method…

http://gamesfromwithin.com/targeting...-trouble-ahead