★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Turn-Based Strategy Games - What do YOU want?

10-28-2009, 02:31 PM
Turn-Based Strategy Games - What do YOU want?

Hi everyone. I'm curious about something. How many of you out there are "strategy gamers" who enjoy deep, rich, turn-based strategy games that actually make you carefully plan and consider what you're doing? I'm thinking, games like Chess, many of the better CCGs, Risk, Settlers of Catan, Civilization, etc.

If you are into this type of game, are you happy with what's currently available on the App Store or are you clamoring for more and better choices?

What are YOU looking for in this type of game?

If a game were to come to the App Store that offered great strategic game play, was turn based, had wonderful graphics, had infinite replay value and could be played either solo (against an AI opponent) or against other players (think WiFi or Internet based - not hotseat or bluetooth), what would you be willing to pay for it? Do you prefer one price or would you rather a little price or free price and then have the ability to purchase additional content in-game?

Thanks for any comments and opinions!
Q

Quorlan
10-28-2009, 02:32 PM
map editor

10-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Romance of the Three Kingdoms just came out, it's the most complex and successful turn-based strategy game I believe. Personally my favourite PC game series.
Other than that the app store lacks turn-based strategy games with any real challenge.
10-28-2009, 02:46 PM
How about a Fire Emblem clone? A few characters that you control and you have to fight through large armies with these few dudes. The thing thats so strategic about the game is that if someone dies, they're dead for good. No making other similar units or reviving them. It makes you carefully plan you strategy, making sure no one dies.

Otherwise I enjoy Advance Wars alot. Sure Mecho Wars is a good clone, but it's not as in depth or challenging as Advance Wars is. Too bad Nintendo is completely afraid of the appstore being a huge competition to them and therefore avoiding it.

My big thing though is that I think that square spaces are much better than hexagon spaces. It's much easier to plan a strategy with 4 sides than 6. And for some reason it's just more fun
10-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomdude View Post
How about a Fire Emblem clone? A few characters that you control and you have to fight through large armies with these few dudes. The thing thats so strategic about the game is that if someone dies, they're dead for good. No making other similar units or reviving them. It makes you carefully plan you strategy, making sure no one dies.

Otherwise I enjoy Advance Wars alot. Sure Mecho Wars is a good clone, but it's not as in depth or challenging as Advance Wars is. Too bad Nintendo is completely afraid of the appstore being a huge competition to them and therefore avoiding it.

My big thing though is that I think that square spaces are much better than hexagon spaces. It's much easier to plan a strategy with 4 sides than 6. And for some reason it's just more fun
+1 for fire emblem

Beta Testing/ed: Undercroft, Baseball Superstars 2010, Battle for Wesnoth, Fuzion, Twilight Golf, Indestructible Tank, Nanomechs Online Multi, Plushed, Ground Effect, Castlecraft, Inotia 2, Boom it Up, Guerrilla Bob, Caligo Chaser, Vanquish, IMO, Crunchy Orbs, Zenonia 2, Luna Story, Aralon, Shadow Era, Hybrid 2
10-28-2009, 03:37 PM
It would be trivial for SEGA to bring over some Shining Force games...

I think it will be difficult to top R3K, it's got everything in there from management to tactical battles.

I'd be thrilled it KOEI brought over the Uncharted Waters games (or a sequal).

Was there any multiplayer to this version of R3K? Even the Gameboy version of Nobunaga's Ambition (and the Genesis if I remember correctly) had multiplayer (up to 8!) options. An online "Push" form of gameplay would suit any turn based strategy game well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!

Last edited by drelbs; 10-28-2009 at 03:41 PM.
10-28-2009, 04:14 PM
The only turnbased strategy (if you can call it that) game i've ever become hooked on is the warlords-series. Its not pretty or advanced but what makes it so good is its simpleness that makes it easy and engaging to get in to but hard to master.

Simple is better!
10-28-2009, 07:44 PM
The app store is lacking any type of srpg. There are some good tbs and rts games out there, but not one filling the rpg niche.

So the easy answer is some kind of FFT or Fire Emblem clone... or a mix of the two
10-28-2009, 07:48 PM
I love Lux DLX but i would want to see a strategy game a bit more complex...

Why not on the WW2?

I'm thinking about a A&A but simplified...

Beta tester for Pocket God, Minigore, Towers of War, Airstrike Defense & 9 Innings 2011 - Join TAD - Join TAD: Touch Arcade Defenders! and Canucks of TA - Contact me if you want your game translated or betatested!
10-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Send a message via AIM to imusic
X-com.