★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: noded is a minimalist puzzle game with a simple goal: fold the geometric shape to solve the various challenges. To do so, you simply tap the connected nodes and the shape will fold along the line defined by the adjacent nodes.

With a clean UI and simple rule-set, noded challenges you to complete 80 uniquely crafted puzzles with the fewest moves possible. As the number of nodes increases and different types of nodes introduced, more brain teasers will be revealed.

Featuring the beautiful ambient music of Kyle Preston and without any time restrictions, noded offers a unique calming experience.

Features:
Color Blind mode
Power Saving mode
9 languages
3D Touch (iPhone 6 or later)
Haptic Feedback (iPhone 7 or later)
Home Screen Quick Actions (iPhone 6 or later)
No internet connection required
Progress is synchronized with iCloud across all your devices
Game Center leaderboard & achievements with a fair scoring system. You will rank higher for solving more puzzles with fewer moves.

noded is a premium game with no ads or in-app purchases.
08-09-2017, 05:32 PM
I just found out this game by accident.

Very surprised and impressed by the game's unique mechanics that appear deceptively straightforward but are actually quite tricky once the player is tasked to make more complex shapes. This is particularly true for shapes with a lot of acute angles and criss-cross lines.

Pixel Envision, how many underpar solutions are known to you? For example, level 14 (the one that looks like a bowl with a half lid) in Metamorphosis can be solved in only 4 moves despite a par of 7 moves. Likewise, level 15 (the one that looks like a 7-pointed star) in Metamorphosis can be solved in only 9 moves despite a par of 11 moves.

One problem I am experiencing is that many nodes can be hidden on top of each other, some of which have different properties. When I tap on a particular vertex, I have no way to control which node I will be moving. In some cases, it is possible that this creates unnecessary folds that ruins an otherwise more efficient solution.

Last edited by y2kmp3; 08-09-2017 at 07:29 PM.

08-09-2017, 06:18 PM
Really cool game with simple and engaging mechanic, i hope it will get more success
08-10-2017, 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kmp3 View Post
I just found out this game by accident.

Very surprised and impressed by the game's unique mechanics that appear deceptively straightforward but are actually quite tricky once the player is tasked to make more complex shapes. This is particularly true for shapes with a lot of acute angles and criss-cross lines.

Pixel Envision, how many underpar solutions are known to you? For example, level 14 (the one that looks like a bowl with a half lid) in Metamorphosis can be solved in only 4 moves despite a par of 7 moves. Likewise, level 15 (the one that looks like a 7-pointed star) in Metamorphosis can be solved in only 9 moves despite a par of 11 moves.

One problem I am experiencing is that many nodes can be hidden on top of each other, some of which have different properties. When I tap on a particular vertex, I have no way to control which node I will be moving. In some cases, it is possible that this creates unnecessary folds that ruins an otherwise more efficient solution.
Thank you for your kind comments, I'm glad to hear that you've liked it.

I've deliberately left some with underpar solutions earlier in the game so it wouldn't frustrate not-so-puzzle-minded casual gamers, but also I was sure there are some levels that can be solved with better moves than I could. So, I've decided to log those with analytics. So, far I've logged 35 levels completed with the less moves than the moves set in the game. I might put those in the next update or not, I haven't decided yet. But, I can share the level numbers & # of moves with you if you're interested.

And you're right about that node overlap problem with the complex shapes. Best I could come up was making sure that unmovable anchor nodes stays behind. I thought about making overlapping nodes selectable but it made the controls way to complex so I ditched the idea. If you have any suggestions to improve, please let me know!

Pixel Envision - Indie Game Development Studio

Twitter / Facebook / YouTube
08-10-2017, 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncertirnavali View Post
Really cool game with simple and engaging mechanic, i hope it will get more success
Thank you very much!

08-10-2017, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the explanation, PixelEnvision.

I concur with you that it is a good idea to leave a margin for the par move goal in the earlier levels so not to frustrate players so early in the game.

I love to see the list of underpar solutions. Please check your email for my message.

Can you explain how you come up with the design of these puzzles? I am asking because of an interesting observation I made that it is frequently possible just by "random" manipulation of the nodes to come up with all sorts of "neat" geometric shapes which themselves would make good puzzles. In fact, there were shapes I "discovered" by chance earlier on that turned out to be shapes used in some later levels (for example, encountering configuration used in level 19 while playing level 15).

If indeed this is the method by which most levels are created, does this run the risk that many of the intended solutions may turn out to be suboptimal solutions unless you troubleshoot each solution afterward to try to optimize it? For example, of the first 28 levels in the game, I was able to solve 8 levels underpar. Undoubtedly, I have likely missed many other levels in which other underpar solutions exist. This is because not uncommonly a level could be solved simply by trial and error, with little strategy used on moving the nodes to form specific pattern towards a purposeful discovery of the intended solution. I think this may be the Achilles' heel for this game from the perspective of a puzzler (note I am still unsure about this, as I am not far enough into the game to make a firm conclusion): the game quick deteriorates into a tedium of trial and error with little regard to strategic manipulation of the nodes.

Lastly, there should be some option to skip a number of levels. For example, the game can make at least 5 levels open at any give time. The strict one-by-one unlock currently exists is too stringent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelEnvision View Post
Thank you for your kind comments, I'm glad to hear that you've liked it.

I've deliberately left some with underpar solutions earlier in the game so it wouldn't frustrate not-so-puzzle-minded casual gamers, but also I was sure there are some levels that can be solved with better moves than I could. So, I've decided to log those with analytics. So, far I've logged 35 levels completed with the less moves than the moves set in the game. I might put those in the next update or not, I haven't decided yet. But, I can share the level numbers & # of moves with you if you're interested.

And you're right about that node overlap problem with the complex shapes. Best I could come up was making sure that unmovable anchor nodes stays behind. I thought about making overlapping nodes selectable but it made the controls way to complex so I ditched the idea. If you have any suggestions to improve, please let me know!

Last edited by y2kmp3; 08-10-2017 at 10:36 AM.
08-10-2017, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Thanks for the explanation, PixelEnvision.

I concur with you that it is a good idea to leave a margin for the par move goal in the earlier levels so not to frustrate players so early in the game.

I love to see the list of underpar solutions. Please check your email for my message.

Can you explain how you come up with the design of these puzzles? I am asking because of an interesting observation I made that it is frequently possible just by "random" manipulation of the nodes to come up with all sorts of "neat" geometric shapes which themselves would make good puzzles. In fact, there were shapes I "discovered" by chance earlier on that turned out to be shapes used in some later levels (for example, encountering configuration used in level 19 while playing level 15).

If indeed this is the method by which most levels are created, does this run the risk that many of the intended solutions may turn out to be suboptimal solutions unless you troubleshoot each solution afterward to try to optimize it? For example, of the first 28 levels in the game, I was able to solve 8 levels underpar. Undoubtedly, I have likely missed many other levels in which other underpar solutions exist. This is because not uncommonly a level could be solved simply by trial and error, with little strategy used on moving the nodes to form specific pattern towards a purposeful discovery of the intended solution. I think this may be the Achilles' heel for this game from the perspective of a puzzler (note I am still unsure about this, as I am not far enough into the game to make a firm conclusion): the game quick deteriorates into a tedium of trial and error with little regard to strategic manipulation of the nodes.

Lastly, there should be some option to skip a number of levels. For example, the game can make at least 5 levels open at any give time. The strict one-by-one unlock currently exists is too stringent.
I've got your email, I'll reply to it shortly.

I've usually started with number of nodes, their features and a the initial configuration to reach a proper target shape. And some time reverse of this process. As some puzzles start with the same number of nodes, those can have similar shapes while working on the solution. But I've tired to differentiate those by using different node types & colors. The trouble with the solutions is, after some point possible solutions increases exponentially and it became impossible to find most optimal number of moves. That's how the idea of leaving margins and logging the moves born.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll consider adding level skipping in the next update!

08-11-2017, 01:54 AM
Thanks, PixelEnvision, for the explanation. I have now completed all of the levels in Metamorphosis. I emailed you a list of all of the levels for which I was able to solve underpar. As the game was just released, I did not want to share this list openly on this forum in order to avoid spoiling the game for others. My favorite level so far is Metamorphosis-34. It is a very clever level and where the game mechanic truly shines, far better than other levels with numerous nodes to manipulate that require a lot of trial and error.

Quote:
I've got your email, I'll reply to it shortly.

I've usually started with number of nodes, their features and a the initial configuration to reach a proper target shape. And some time reverse of this process. As some puzzles start with the same number of nodes, those can have similar shapes while working on the solution. But I've tired to differentiate those by using different node types & colors. The trouble with the solutions is, after some point possible solutions increases exponentially and it became impossible to find most optimal number of moves. That's how the idea of leaving margins and logging the moves born.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll consider adding level skipping in the next update!

Last edited by y2kmp3; 08-11-2017 at 01:56 AM.
08-11-2017, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Thanks, PixelEnvision, for the explanation. I have now completed all of the levels in Metamorphosis. I emailed you a list of all of the levels for which I was able to solve underpar. As the game was just released, I did not want to share this list openly on this forum in order to avoid spoiling the game for others. My favorite level so far is Metamorphosis-34. It is a very clever level and where the game mechanic truly shines, far better than other levels with numerous nodes to manipulate that require a lot of trial and error.
Great, thanks!

And sorry for the delay replying your email, I was busy fixing few minor bugs and v1.2 is pending review, btw.

08-11-2017, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the list of remaining underpar solutions for the Metamorphosis chapter.

I am a bit surprised that level 1-10 can be solved in 2 moves as you stated in your email. This is the level with a square square which you need to unfold to a rectangle. Are you certain? With your analytic, did you collect the actual solution steps as well so you can verify independently that the solutions are legit?

Quote:
Great, thanks!

And sorry for the delay replying your email, I was busy fixing few minor bugs and v1.2 is pending review, btw.