★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Sudoku game roundup?

07-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Sudoku game roundup?

Hi guys and gals!

Great site! Wondering if anyone has tried any one of the 17 (count 'em, 17!) different Sudoku games available in the Appstore as of today.

Better yet, is there perhaps a roundup of all the games and their differences anywhere?

I guess no on the latter since it's still early but give me feedback or recommendations if you've tried any of them.

07-11-2008, 12:34 PM
we'll take a look into it.

we're a bit affected by the activation issues ourselves, but should have a series of articles this weekend

07-11-2008, 12:38 PM
Oh you're running this site as well? Great idea!

My activation went without a hitch (see my story here) but good luck, looking forward to more articles and reviews.
07-11-2008, 01:45 PM
I too would be very interested in some reviews of common apps. Sudoku, Solitaire, Blackjack and 4 In a Row all have multiple apps that I would love to see compared!
07-14-2008, 03:14 AM
sudoku on iPhone

I am enjoying the Electronic Arts version of Sudoku for iPhone even more than I did on my iPod. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys sudoku.
07-14-2008, 04:27 AM
Just a quick reply; I downloaded Sudoku classic, and I think its great. I figured I'd go with the cheapest one, and am very satisfied. Check out my full review here.
07-14-2008, 06:46 AM
I bought Sudoku Unlimited for $1.99 and I think it's great. Looks fantastic (the notepad skin), plays well and it generates the puzzles so you never run out.

I guess these are kind of a wash, Sudoku is a relatively simple game so all of these are going to be somewhat the same.
07-14-2008, 10:06 AM
FWIW, I also went with Sudoku Unlimited and am pretty happy with it. The notepad skin is a nice touch and the interface works well.
07-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Send a message via AIM to dougles
I went with Big Bang Sudoku. I know that there were cheaper Sudokus on the app store, but I always enjoyed Freeverse's stuff on the Mac. I'm glad I spent that little bit of extra money ($4.99).

They always add little touches to their games. This one has the sun god character from their Big Bang titles for the Mac. There's some neat special effects for when you win, also. The selling point for me, though, was that according to the developer, it was "made by people who ride the NYC subway."

This meant that the game is super easy to play using just one hand (the other one holding a coffee or gripping a pole on the subway ride). I'm glad I got this one, overall. Their racing game (Moto Racer) is fun, too.
07-14-2008, 11:39 AM
My Vote is for Sudoku Unlimited

My wife is dubbed "Sudoku Master" by some, so I let her pick out one from the App Store. She picked Sudoku Unlimited over the others for a few reasons:

- Unlimited puzzles due to automatic generation (some come with a limited number of unique puzzles).
- Five skill levels (some only have three or four). It's funny, she actually picks what skill level she plays based on how long of a game she wants because she knows how long each one takes.
- Price is nice!
- Less important, but still a deciding factor: the little touches were all there. They have themes, auto-save, and a nice note system.

Hope that helps.