★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Games that use accelerometer for "mouselook?"

10-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Games that use accelerometer for "mouselook?"

I'm vetting an idea for a new game, and I'm interested in checking out other games that use the accelerometer to look around in a 3d space- similar to touchfighter.

Anyone know other games that use the accelerometer / tilt in this "mouselook" manner?
10-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher View Post
Anyone know other games that use the accelerometer / tilt in this "mouselook" manner?
Doom Resurrection does, but I hated it. Just my personal opinion, but I think "mouselook" with the accelerometer sucks. Maybe I'm just terrible at using it, but I found it very hard to get accuracy with it.

I much prefer the tap-drag mouselook that Gameloft use - see Modern Combat.

David - Hackdirt
Smashed is out: iTunes (promo site)

10-28-2009, 06:47 PM
Aves
Most Sniper Games (IE Sniper vs Sniper, iHunt, iSnper, etc)
FAST and other Flight Games (Do those count?)

Gamecenter: Will090

Last edited by Will090; 10-28-2009 at 06:54 PM.
10-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Wolfenstein uses it for strafing/walking if you want. I hated it though. Overall im not impressed with the iphones tilt-capabilitys. Or maybe is it just bad programming from the devs?

Oh and wolfenstein RPG uses it for sniping which is pretty much the only fun part in that game.

Last edited by Dark_Messenger; 10-28-2009 at 06:52 PM.
10-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Personnally I loved Doom Resurrection's controls. There was a very organic feel to aiming and shooting. It's not an fps, but it captured the feel of intense fps firefights amazingly.

😈
10-28-2009, 07:58 PM
The thing is that there's a lag between tilting the device and actually seeing the change on the screen. It makes it go from organic to just plain annoying.
10-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamazar View Post
The thing is that there's a lag between tilting the device and actually seeing the change on the screen. It makes it go from organic to just plain annoying.
Eh? Not really. At least on 3GS.

😈
10-29-2009, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticktron View Post
Eh? Not really. At least on 3GS.
Man i want your phone cuz mine must obviusly be broken then. Yes there is delay just like he says but it seems to hevily relay on the coder of the app. Ive seen horrible unplayable examples and i have seen some good with nearly no lag at all.
10-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Messenger View Post
Yes there is delay just like he says but it seems to hevily relay on the coder of the app. Ive seen horrible unplayable examples and i have seen some good with nearly no lag at all.
Bingo - the data from the accelerometer is very noisy; if you use it raw then the view jumps around like crazy. One way to deal with that is to set a noise floor, but then the movement becomes "blocky." You can also average a bunch of samples together, but if you overdo it then it feels like you're underwater.

I have some ideas on how to work around the limitations, I just want to check out the competition. Thanks everybody.
10-31-2009, 12:06 AM
Hey spiffyone,
Thanks for Ghost Buddy,3D Roller-coaster that games are terribly good. i have played
this game.i am also searching for this type of game.good help.

Thanks.

carte r4