★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: You are the commander of an elite Strike Team aboard the warship, HYDRA. Your first combat mission will have you leading your team in vicious ship-to-ship battles against the Sethari, a mysterious alien race whose soldiers are genetically bred for war.

In Strike Team Hydra, you are the commanding officer of a squad of soldiers from the far future. Command each warrior and use cover, suppressive fire, advanced weapons and iron will to defeat the enemy. Always outnumbered, your soldiers will depend on your tactical brilliance to prevail.

COVER: Use barricades and barrels as cover for your soldiers. Less conventional force fields and tachyon fields can also grant a tactical edge to those that hold them.

SUPPRESSION: Use suppressive fire to pin enemy soldiers in place before finishing them off in close assault or with a well-placed grenade.

ACTION POINTS: Every action, including movement, attacks and special abilities, requires action points. Spend them wisely to achieve victory.

MORALE: Your soldiers and the enemy are affected by their courage and determination. If the battle goes well, they fight with grit and determination. If it goes badly, they will focus more on saving themselves than the mission at hand.

Play through a campaign featuring 28 intense firefights including various mission objectives and grueling boss fights. An additional 20 combat missions are available to hone your skills.

*** Requires an iPhone 5, iPad 3, iPad Mini 3 or newer. Will not work on earlier devices.

Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wavelightgames
Follow us on Twitter: @wavelightgames
08-07-2017, 01:25 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Congratulations on the release! Already bought.
Also, my first new game thread ever

@Wavelight: Do you have a specific video you want added to the game post?

Last edited by Nullzone; 08-07-2017 at 01:45 AM.

08-07-2017, 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullzone View Post
Congratulations on the release! Already bought.
Impressions, svp.

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

Honestly, I was never terribly good at games. - Finch (PoI S2E16)
08-07-2017, 01:42 AM
Hahaha! I kneeeeew soooome how that this was going to be available as a midnight...ish release! I just had a sneaking suspicion (and hope honestly) that they would release early.

P.S. I always search by dev/dev team name especially with upcoming and new releases because it always seems to happen that upon initial launch they don't show up just from the normal search.

Now....time to stay up too late and be all groggy in the morning 🤓
08-07-2017, 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by currymutton View Post
Impressions, svp.
You NEED impressions?! Hit....the....buybutton.
Lol.
08-07-2017, 01:44 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Quote:
Originally Posted by currymutton View Post
Impressions, svp.
As soon as I get around to playing, sure at work already, so can take a bit.
08-07-2017, 02:18 AM
Okay, first 10 minute impressions on 12.9" iPad Pro.
Game looks great. Loading times for different screens are definately faster than Demons.
Nice choice of between 12 characters that appear to have a good balance between melee and ranged skills.
The whole space environment is well presented and definately has an Xcom feel to it.

Now a couple of early negatives;
*The voice overs for each member during their turn is already becoming too much. What happened to the frequency slider from Demons?
*I would love to have an option to remove the onscreen camera controls as I find there is no need for them as the camera control works fine with just a two finger control. The camera slider and controller just take up unnecessary screen space.
*If you tap on an enemy and view their stats unfortunately the playing screen underneath will still move around. That shouldnt happen.

As I said....this is only an early 10 minute playtime impression. The game looks impressive and plays well. It is a quality release from Wavelight Games.
I hope to add more constructive comment as I play more.
08-07-2017, 02:38 AM
10 minute impressions here too:
looks great, nice character selection.
Suggestions :
1) do something about the action point and movement. Either simplify the action points system a la Fallout 2 ( 1 square is 1 point, attacks and abilities can be 1-5 points, with 10-20 max action points.
Why? because used to Xcom and DR i am moving to the farthest distance i can move, and that takes away all the APs.
Or like DR make movent independant of APs, use them only for skill-attacks.
2) Camera
a) zoom it in on each enemy taking a turn so we know who is moving where
b) when the APs of the character are over, move it automatically to the next closest character. A character with 5 Aps in the current system is useless and the next ine should be used immediately. in the FO2 system, when the APs are over similarly move auto to the next character.
3) Backgrounds, you did a great job but i think they are too convoluted and packed with stuff. Delete some so we can beter see our characters and enemies.
As always, i write these suggestions with the most respect for your work and dedication, and with hope they will make the game even better.
08-07-2017, 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzarules View Post
10 minute impressions here too:
looks great, nice character selection.
Suggestions :
1) do something about the action point and movement. Either simplify the action points system a la Fallout 2 ( 1 square is 1 point, attacks and abilities can be 1-5 points, with 10-20 max action points.
Why? because used to Xcom and DR i am moving to the farthest distance i can move, and that takes away all the APs.
Or like DR make movent independant of APs, use them only for skill-attacks.
2) Camera
a) zoom it in on each enemy taking a turn so we know who is moving where
b) when the APs of the character are over, move it automatically to the next closest character. A character with 5 Aps in the current system is useless and the next ine should be used immediately. in the FO2 system, when the APs are over similarly move auto to the next character.
3) Backgrounds, you did a great job but i think they are too convoluted and packed with stuff. Delete some so we can beter see our characters and enemies.
As always, i write these suggestions with the most respect for your work and dedication, and with hope they will make the game even better.
Thanks.

Honestly, I am not a very big fan of the graphics style of DR1 & 2. But this one looks much more better, just make sure it does not get a price cut within 3 months.

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

Honestly, I was never terribly good at games. - Finch (PoI S2E16)
08-07-2017, 03:08 AM
**edits** must be thinking of another game nvm.

^ agreeing on this one. I like seeing the characters stand out vs. the background.

Last edited by Xcxc; 08-07-2017 at 03:50 AM.