★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
08-07-2017, 08:52 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveLightGames View Post
Hey guys, Just woke up. Quick clarification. There is an in-game save ... The game autosaves at the end of each turn.
Heyho, good release morning to you!
Oh nice. I only tried on turn 1, so I didn't get that far to see that. Will update my post.
08-07-2017, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amenbrother View Post
Wow that app icon is giving me serious Mass Effect vibes!
How's the loot in this game? Someone earlier mentioned that this wasn't a diabloesque-type game with loot, yet there are 11 equipment slots...those two things seem to contradict each other. As another loot-rpg fan can you elaborate?

08-07-2017, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbrickem View Post
How's the loot in this game? Someone earlier mentioned that this wasn't a diabloesque-type game with loot, yet there are 11 equipment slots...those two things seem to contradict each other. As another loot-rpg fan can you elaborate?
Hi Max, that was me with the Diablo comparison. There's a metric f-ton of different equipment in the game, and then some So if you like this kind of stuff, there you have it.
I used Diablo for comparison, as I think Hydra (and DR1/2) is not a looter game like that, but a tactics game and the mechanic doesn't really fit the genre in my opinion.
08-07-2017, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbrickem View Post
There are 11 slots per character and there is a random loot algorithm. It a actually very similar to Diablo 1 loot where you have a base item and that item has a random level and quality attribute. Those two attributes along with base item type determine the stat boost given when the item is equipped.

As you play the game, you get better and better item awards.

I think most tactics games don't usually have so much complexity in the loot system. Honestly, though the main focus of the game is tactical choices. The best loot in the world isn't going to save you if you're caught in a cross fire, flanked or suppressed.

Last edited by WaveLightGames; 08-07-2017 at 09:08 AM.
08-07-2017, 09:14 AM
Looks very cool !

Ill have to take a look into this... too many good games 😅
08-07-2017, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbieoz View Post
Okay, first 10 minute impressions on 12.9" iPad Pro.
Game looks great. Loading times for different screens are definately faster than Demons.
Nice choice of between 12 characters that appear to have a good balance between melee and ranged skills.
The whole space environment is well presented and definately has an Xcom feel to it.
Thanks! The game is very different from Demon's Rise and not just a sci-fi reskin. There are major changes in morale rules and new elements like the suppression rules and such. Therefore, there's a reason for a lot of the changes made that will likely be more apparent as you play the game more.

Quote:
Now a couple of early negatives;
*The voice overs for each member during their turn is already becoming too much. What happened to the frequency slider from Demons?
There is a voice frequency slider in the options menu. Are you saying it doesn't work? If so, I'll look into it.

Quote:
*I would love to have an option to remove the onscreen camera controls as I find there is no need for them as the camera control works fine with just a two finger control. The camera slider and controller just take up unnecessary screen space.
I actually really like the on-screen camera controls. Once you get used to them, they allow you to fully control the camera with just the left hand and you don't have take your hands off their rest positions to do 2-finger pinch / zoom, etc. I would recommend you try them a bit more before passing judgement. That being said, since the actual 2-finger rotate / pinch controls are much improved, I should be able to add an option to hide the on-screen controls.

Quote:
*If you tap on an enemy and view their stats unfortunately the playing screen underneath will still move around. That shouldnt happen.
Yeah, that's not the intention. I'll fix that.
08-07-2017, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzarules View Post
1) do something about the action point and movement. Either simplify the action points system a la Fallout 2 ( 1 square is 1 point, attacks and abilities can be 1-5 points, with 10-20 max action points.
Why? because used to Xcom and DR i am moving to the farthest distance i can move, and that takes away all the APs.
Or like DR make movent independant of APs, use them only for skill-attacks.
No, I'll be keeping it as is. When you click a tile as a position to move, it shows you in the pop up window how many attacks you can make after that move and the enemy that are within line of sight from that position are highlighted in red. It's not an easy system but these games aren't necessary supposed to be simple. I'm quite happy with it as it is.

Quote:
2) Camera
a) zoom it in on each enemy taking a turn so we know who is moving where
I did try this for a time during development but the problem is that the screen jumps around too much on larger levels with loads of enemies. It gets quite disorienting. I prefer the current system where the camera just zooms out to show the action during the enemy turn and then goes back to whatever zoom level the player had earlier.

Quote:
b) when the APs of the character are over, move it automatically to the next closest character. A character with 5 Aps in the current system is useless and the next ine should be used immediately. in the FO2 system, when the APs are over similarly move auto to the next character.
I'll look into this as option down the road. Currently, there's a "Next character" button that you can just press to go to the next character in your roster. I'm not sure I want to force that option to a player. I think it would be better to allow the player to make a move and look around the map on their own before moving their next character.

Quote:
3) Backgrounds, you did a great job but i think they are too convoluted and packed with stuff. Delete some so we can beter see our characters and enemies.
As always, i write these suggestions with the most respect for your work and dedication, and with hope they will make the game even better.
I'll keep that as something to think about for future games. I don't want to go back and rip apart an already finished game. The more you play, the more you'll adjust to the style, it's not something I want to revisit.
08-07-2017, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcxc View Post
**edits** must be thinking of another game nvm.

3) Backgrounds, you did a great job but i think they are too convoluted and packed with stuff. Delete some so we can beter see our characters and enemies.

^ agreeing on this one. I like seeing the characters stand out vs. the background.
I might do something to make the indicators under a unit brighter or something and have them dull down when the character has low action points to suggest that his actions are done for the turn. Will see how it goes.
08-07-2017, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullzone View Post
Equipment system unfortunately still is the same terribly convoluted and unbalanced one as in DR1&2. I was really hoping for a change in that area the most: Your games aren't loot collectors like e.g. Diablo, their scope is completely different and gameplay-wise loot collecting isn't the focus. A much more streamlined and reduced list of equipment would go a long way here in my opinion (you know I strongly pushed for fixed equipment lists a few times already ).
Also, still way too many equipment slots in my book. Half of what's there would be enough, I think:
Weapon, Armor, Gadget or two. Split Armor into Helm, Body, Boots, Gloves if you want. That's 7 slots - not exactly few, but less and more manageable than the current 11 per soldier.
I appreciate that this element isn't to your personal liking. I won't be changing it though because if I tweak it for you, it will be less ideal for others. I have had feedback from others that absolutely loved the huge number of equipment slots in Demon's Rise. STH has slightly fewer but still the same core system ... with a modified item costing formula that makes high value items more expensive than in DR games. Ultimately, I'm not going to make a game that will please everyone in this particular area but that's fine since there are a lot of games out there to play.

Quote:
Shop:
Item icons could be bigger, but it's acceptable. Font for the item descriptions I find way too small. There's enough space, you could easily double it in size to make it more readable.
I'll look into it but if I make it bigger on the phone 5, it becomes ugly on the ipad pro. UI scaling is a difficult art and I'm happy with something that works well enough.

Quote:
Save system:
Same as in DR1/2, unfortunately. I was hoping for something like Tactics Maiden's: Save outside battles to as many slots as you want, instead of using one save per playthrough. Didn't try yet if it saves during battles now.
UPDATE: Nope, no in-battle saves. If the later battles get as long as in DR1/2, this is a huge problem if you don't have the time to complete one in a single session.
UPDATE 2: I was wrong, it does have them:
I'm not sure there's much benefit in having multiple save slots for the same playthrough. There really aren't any downsides to losing a battle so I don't see why you would need multiple slots for the same team. I think having 20+ slots for many simultaneous playthroughs is perfectly fine.
08-07-2017, 10:30 AM
Two more small things I noticed:
1) Some soldiers like the Medic start with not enough AP to move and use skills: e.g. the Medic has 40 AP on level 1; one move costs 7AP, and Healing costs 35AP. So she can't even move and heal yet.
Can I suggest to increase the starting AP just enough (by 2 in the Medic's case) that soldiers can move 1 and use their "signature" skill still?

2) Dead men tell no tales ... get no XP, I mean
If I saw that right, my soldier who got knocked out during mission 2 didn't get any XP, and is 30% to next level behind the others now. This makes it really hard to tactically sacrifice soldiers (I rushed him forward to throw a grenade).
So, I'd like to suggest to give XP to everyone, knocked out or not.

Anyways: Only on mission 2, but figuring out how to use the different soldiers is lots of fun. Great job!