'Tiny Bubbles' Needs Beta Testers - Physics Puzzler Launching May 8th

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Pine Street Codeworks, Aug 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pine Street Codeworks

Pine Street Codeworks Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle WA
    #1 Pine Street Codeworks, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Hi everyone,

Tiny Bubbles is a relaxing arcade puzzle game I've been developing. I've created a custom physics engine based on the research of my grandfather, an MIT scientist. After a couple months of hard work, I figured out how to simulate realistic soap bubbles like in his experiments.

In the game you pop bubbles by matching four or more colors and create cascading chain-reactions. Inflate bubbles with colored smoke to strategically reshape the cluster. Break bubble edges to combine neighbors and mix new colors. Save bubble-bound creatures and fend-off greedy Jelly Crabs! :eek:

screenshot3.jpg screenshot6.jpg
    screenshot4.jpg screenshot5.jpg

SOME OTHER FEATURES:
    - Explore 7 worlds with over 160 puzzles.
    - Tons of gameplay, strategies and goals, with helpful hints.
    - Strategize future moves to create longer chains and combos.
    - Relaxing adaptive ambient music.
    - Innovative colorblind mode works without symbols or patterns.
    - Local two-player puzzles coming soon!

Come see us at PAX West, we are honored that Tiny Bubbles was selected for the PAX 10!

We're super excited to offer TestFlight Beta invites to the first 50 people from this forum that sign up here and select "iOS"
    *UPDATE* - due to the great response, we've expanded the beta to an additional 50 people! This time we'll select them randomly from the pool of people who sign up by the end of the day on Aug 11!

We plan to launch Tiny Bubbles in Spring 2018 for iOS App Store, Android Google Play, and Steam. We can email you when it's available for download.

My team and I would really love to know what you think and we'll answer questions as best we can! :)

-Stu

2. lva

lva Active Member

May 25, 2017
    its fun for relax

3. Pine Street Codeworks

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle WA
    Hey Iva, yes, Tiny Bubbles is a great game to settle down with and get lost in :) Arcade mode offers some play at a quicker pace - if you're in that kind of mood. Hope you made it onto this Beta, we'll send out the test flight invites tomorrow! - paulette

4. Pine Street Codeworks

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle WA
    Wow! The response has been really great. We filled up our 50 beta slots much quicker than expected. We've decided to expand the beta to 50 more people! This time we're going to select randomly, in addition to the first 50 people. We'll be doing the random selection after Friday, Aug 11 (allowing for all time zones). No need to sign up again if you already signed up. You'll be in the pool automatically.

If you don't make it onto this beta, we hope to do another round next month. Also, you'll get to be the first to know about when Tiny Bubbles is available for download on the App Store. Let us know if you have any questions. :)

-Stu

5. lva

lva Active Member

May 25, 2017
    Get through the first chapter.the good news is no bug.lol.i didnt see the rainbow yet. Bubble bubble

6. KeKhan

KeKhan Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    Just sat down with this and loving it! So relaxing, but still engaging.
    The clean and beautiful artwork and the satisfying audio really work together.

If I may suggest something:
    It would be nice if there was a little visual feedback where you tap, a slight ripple or something. Just so it felt more like playing in water. Just a small thing not crucial.

Another suggestion: I feel it would be more satisfying if the bubbles "popping speed" increased if you pop a lot at once -
    For example, when popping a big chain, it would start slow but "speed up" towards the end, like a reaction.
    Not sure if I'm explaining it right. I just feel it would be more satisfying.

One last suggestion for now: Landscape view when I turn the device would be amazing.

Love the level layout, it's so smart. And the fact that you can see the shape of the level from the larger screen. So many nice touches.

Haven't gotten to play though the first area yet, but already see some cool mechanics. Like the fish, or the ring you can't expand past. Great stuff.

7. Fish alan

Fish alan Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Loving this game. I don't know how you managed some of the effects that are going on. It is amazing and beautiful.

I love the fact that there are so many puzzle types. It feels like just the right mix to keep things interesting and not repetitive.

I disagree with the previous comment about speeding up the popping time. It might be interesting to do something like that as a level challenge, but I feel like the current speed gives enough opportunity to add new bubbles to the chain.

I think that the current ad placement is good (and given that, I imagine that you are planning to have this be a free game) but I think that you could even push it a little further without it being obnoxious. For example, giving the chance for extra moves if you fail a level. You've got to make your money somehow and the current scheme seems to provide little incentive for ad watches. More than a lot of other games but still not enough, IMO. Perhaps even a life system, similar to Candy Crush and others, with an option to replenish lives by watching.

I've made it through the first world and am well into the second. This feels like a really solid beta/alpha build. Really amazing.

8. KeKhan

KeKhan Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    I didn't really explain it well I guess #
    I meant when you clear a level, with a bigger chain. During gameplay the speed is perfect, as you mentioned.

Also, I agree with what you suggested about the ads. It's nice to not have them in your face, but having more opportunities or reasons to watch would help with the income. Good points ##

9. Fish alan

Aug 5, 2011
    Completely agree with you there. Also on the tap feedback and landscape view.

10. Pine Street Codeworks

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle WA
    Haha yeah the rainbow (wild) bubbles appear in the Wildlands world. You just match a chain of 5 or more to create a wild/joker bubble. Wilds will also double the number of collected bubbles when they match up.

11. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Very nice game! I like the fact that first world can be completed easily but the other worlds have a challenge. Very polished game!

12. Pine Street Codeworks

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle WA
    Thanks so much for the nice comments! I'd be happy to answer questions about the effects if you're interested. After the first world, two more should unlock and they have different kinds of gameplay, so make sure you try both. I'm going to respond to your other great suggestions later today when I get more time!

13. Pine Street Codeworks

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle WA
    We're so glad you like it and thanks for posting!

14. Patthegymnast

Patthegymnast Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2016
    This game is really cool! Love the graphics and gameplay is very polished! Amazing job!

15. Fish alan

Aug 5, 2011
    I've already made it to world 3. Love the wild bubbles and the scissors levels. It seems like some new twist in gameplay is always popping up. I can't wait to see what surprises lay in wait.

A couple of other comments. Is there a way to make the orange a little more orange in the bubbles? The other colors pop (no pun intended) so nicely but the orange seems a little muted.

I'm also wondering, given the way that the world menu is set up, if you have plans for how you might add levels beyond the worlds currently included in the layout. I have a feeling that there will be demand for new content at some point (translated: I will want more content).

Out of curiosity, what engine (if any) are you using for the game?

16. Pine Street Codeworks

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle WA
    Thanks for the suggestions KeKhan,
    Landscape view could be supported because I already have it working for PC. I did portrait for phones because it lets you play with one hand. :) Can I ask if you are playing on an iPad?

17. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Some more notes for the beta and those that you are interested in:
    - Yes, you are doing a fine job teaching how to play. Please consider to have the lower circle pop-up hints to be in faster animation. It's good as it is now but I believe that if it was faster, it would be better.
    - No, it is confusing. It's very good and as the game progress, it is helpful when you long-press the screen to see how the colors will be next.
    - No, it is not frustrated and the hint system is very well done.
    - I think it's challenging abut not frustrating. It's easy in the start but gets more difficult later on. I haven't completed it yet because I don't have too much free time but if it's getting too difficult, we have the hints. Good for you.

I believe that you have to add icloud sync. It's useful, especially for us, the beta testers, so that we don't have to play again the same levels when we will buy it again. :)

Keep up the good work. :)

18. Pine Street Codeworks

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle WA
    We're very happy that you're enjoying the game. Yes, there's a large variety of goals and new strategies and twists that pop up frequently. It's easy to find new things when you've got so many new game mechanics to explore and combine.

On the orange bubbles, yes it's on our list to tweak the orange and brown bubbles. There's been some confusion over these colors so they need adjustment. The trick is to do that and still make them easily distinguishable from the other colors when they are on the other side of the bubble cluster.

On the world map - yes the plan would be to add more worlds as new (larger) bubbles. I think you'll also find the puzzles take a lot longer to beat in the last worlds (Murky River and Tricky Tides).

19. Pine Street Codeworks

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle WA
    We use Unity 5.5, but the soap bubble physics and bubble shaders are all custom code.