★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Great Zuma clone: Bonsai Blast

12-31-2008, 08:35 AM
Great Zuma clone: Bonsai Blast

hi there

this morning I downloaded Bonsai Blast (3,99), and I just have to tell it to you, because it is such a great game! I fixes everything I did not like in Puzzloop or Blackbeard! It has sixty levels, an adventure mode and power ups!

What I like:

It runs at a lower speed than Blackbeard, so it's more relaxing and less frantic.
It is colorful, but the screen looks nice and cute and the colors don't get in the way.
You have only one "shooter", but you can switch between different locations of this shooter with one tap.
You don't have things that get in the way like hurricans.
There are some challenges built in like walls to shoot billiard-like.

http://appshopper.com/games/bonsai-blast

Youtube link | Pop Up

Really interesting: They publish this for the iPhone and for Android. I hope that they will say something about sales.

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
12-31-2008, 08:36 AM
I agree. Of the match-3 zuma/loop games, I found this one the most "fun", addicting. they add some nice touches and it works really well.

I've been meaning to write it up but haven't.

arn

12-31-2008, 08:38 AM
I got it too and I really enjoy it.
The only disappointing thing is that in the description they said 90 levels, but it's really 30 levels with 3 difficulty levels.
12-31-2008, 08:47 AM
Even if it were only three levels this would be ok for me. I played Actionloop on the DS for a while and really loved this because it was free of any clutter. Just me, the Stylus, the balls and the route for the balls. Colorful balls, but the rest was grey/metal. I played this over and over - just one level - to beat my highscore .

Now even with the colorful levels Bonsai Blast seems to be the first game of this type on the iPhone which is free of clutter. It just works, does not get in the way, has a nice asia soundtrack and looks gorgeous. They did everything right with this game.

--
taptoplay.de

12-31-2008, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleabag323 View Post
The only disappointing thing is that in the description they said 90 levels, but it's really 30 levels with 3 difficulty levels.
Wow, in my opinion, that's false advertisement.
Couldn't then Blackbeard say they have 60 levels rather than the 20 if you play on all 3 difficulties?
I have to say that I was thinking of picking this up specifically because it had so many more levels than blackbeard but it really doesn't.
Still looks really polished and I like the billiard/bouncing off walls aspect but a little turned off now from what I perceive to be false advertisement
12-31-2008, 09:20 AM
Awesome Video

Youtube link | Pop Up

I know this developer was on the naughty list, but they’ve won me over with their ridiculously over the top production values in their gameplay video. How can you not love that?

Take notes, arn. The bar has been raised.

Last edited by HerbertKornfeld; 12-31-2008 at 09:25 AM.
12-31-2008, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleabag323 View Post
Don't they have three landscapes with 20 or 30 maps on each in adventure mode?

--
taptoplay.de

12-31-2008, 10:49 AM
I have been keeping my eye on this game for a long time now. it looks so pretty. I have been waiting for Touch Arcade to review it, but it's getting so much praise already I might just get it.
12-31-2008, 11:01 AM
Send a message via ICQ to brewstermax Send a message via AIM to brewstermax Send a message via MSN to brewstermax Send a message via Yahoo to brewstermax
But this is from the makers of Space Monkey. It'll be free and ad-supported soon.
12-31-2008, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewstermax View Post
But this is from the makers of Space Monkey. It'll be free and ad-supported soon.
They reversed that (poor) decision. Space Monkey is ad-free again (and $0.99) and they released a separate Space Monkey Free which is ad-supported.

arn