★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: No mere tile-matching solitaire game, this is a full implementation of Japanese Mahjong. A fun, strategic variant of the classic Chinese 4-player game!

Features:

* Real (4-player) mahjong! (you vs. 3 CPU opponents)
* Japanese/Riichi style following European Mahjong Association (EMA) rules
* Unique layout designed for mobile devices
* Beautiful, easy-to-read tiles (with traditional and simplified tile sets)
* Colourful cast of characters
* Beautiful music
* English, French, and Japanese text!
* Tutorials and in-game help, ideal for new players!
* No ads!

(Note: The Tutorials are currently English only; French + Japanese to come)

cyberdog's comments:
I wanted to try to make a game that also taught people new to mahjong how to play. Mahjong can be a bit intimidating to new players, especially the Riichi variant. So the tutorials should help those interested in learning. The AI should give novices and amateurs a decent challenge (and it keeps me on my toes too if I'm not careful!)

Thank you!
08-20-2017, 06:25 PM
Downloaded. It's more complex than I bought but once I get the hang of this, I could say this is a great game.

08-20-2017, 09:12 PM
This will be a great way to relearn my childhood game that I've forgotten over the years
08-21-2017, 03:19 AM
I might have to jump in on this. For years upon years I've kept an eye out for a "real" mahjong game (a good one). Tile matching is not mahjong. Now the only question is, how does this one play? And how is the rule set compared with others? Ok, that's two questions. I've wasted money on a few mahjong games in the past, and though this one's only 4 bucks, I'd still like to get an impression or two. If not, I'll probably bite anyway.
08-21-2017, 10:58 AM
Heya,

This game is Japanese Mahjong and follows the European Mahjong Association rules.

Japanese mahjong is a bit more complex than traditional mahjong (Chinese Classical, Hong Kong), in that you have to fulfill at least one 'yaku' before you can claim a win (eg. a pung of dragons or seat/round winds, or 'all simples', 'half flush', etc.). Another defining feature is the ability to declare 'riichi' - putting up a point stake and 'locking in' your hand when you're one tile away (completes a 'yaku' requirement, but alerts other players that you're close... and you can be forced to deal into someone else's hand). However, I have a set of tutorials that explain the nuances of Japanese mahjong, so hopefully it's a good way for people to learn.

I hope that helps. Thanks for considering it.
08-23-2017, 01:53 PM
This looks like a good time, but are the tutorials enough to teach an absolute beginner? I've never played any version of mahjong. The only thing I know about mahjong is that it's called mahjong.
08-23-2017, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qvothe1331 View Post
This looks like a good time, but are the tutorials enough to teach an absolute beginner? I've never played any version of mahjong. The only thing I know about mahjong is that it's called mahjong.
Lol! Same here.
08-23-2017, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qvothe1331 View Post
If you can recognize the.tiles yes. Else no
08-23-2017, 06:00 PM
Looking forward to giving it a spin, the very stylistic Asian take on 4 player Gin Rummy.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
08-23-2017, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdog View Post
Heya,

This game is Japanese Mahjong and follows the European Mahjong Association rules.

Japanese mahjong is a bit more complex than traditional mahjong (Chinese Classical, Hong Kong), in that you have to fulfill at least one 'yaku' before you can claim a win (eg. a pung of dragons or seat/round winds, or 'all simples', 'half flush', etc.). Another defining feature is the ability to declare 'riichi' - putting up a point stake and 'locking in' your hand when you're one tile away (completes a 'yaku' requirement, but alerts other players that you're close... and you can be forced to deal into someone else's hand). However, I have a set of tutorials that explain the nuances of Japanese mahjong, so hopefully it's a good way for people to learn.

I hope that helps. Thanks for considering it.
Oh noooooo.... I wanted to learn the Chinese rules as all my friends who play are Taiwanese or HK...