★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

The September 2017 RPG Reload Play-Along: Bastion

08-31-2017, 04:49 AM
The September 2017 RPG Reload Play-Along: Bastion

Hello, gentle readers, and welcome to the RPG Reload Play-Along. Each month, we'll be playing an iOS RPG together, sharing laughs and tears in equal measures. The post on the front page is basically here to announce the game in question and give a few tips on getting started. The real action will be happening here in the TouchArcade forums, where you'll find a thread dedicated to each month's featured game. Sign up if you haven't already, post your screenshots, ask for advice, or just chat about your misadventures with others. We've got a great comunity of RPG fans here at TouchArcade, so let's make the most of it!

August is a busy month for many people, and that is perhaps as good an explanation as any for the somewhat muted reception to the Chrono Trigger Play-Along. We had our lowest turnout for a Play-Along yet, with the thread barely cracking the 50-post mark. Oh well, these things happen! One cool thing is that our very own Eric Ford participated in the Play-Along on Twitch, and he might just finish the game in time for the end of the month. You can do it, Eric! At any rate, it's high time we moved on to the next game, and since we've been doing JRPGs all summer, I thought it might be prudent to mix things up a little this time around. Thanks to everyone for participating in the August Play-Along, and I hope you'll join in again!

This month, we're entering the realm of action-RPGs with a Play-Along dedicated to Bastion, a stylish effort from Warner Bros. Interactive and Supergiant Games. The game debuted on the Xbox 360's Xbox Live Arcade service in July of 2011 and made its way to a wide variety of other platforms in the following years. Bastion arrived on iOS in August of 2012, and it proved to be a really good fit for the platform. While it's not a terribly long game, it is an interesting one. If you want to join in you should expect the game to take not much longer than 10 hours at most and perhaps a few hours less if you're quick.
08-31-2017, 05:27 AM
Nice, looks like this will be my first play-along to join, if time allows.

I'd like to add that - along with Transistor from the same devs - Bastion has some of the best voice acting and soundtrack I ever encountered in 35 years of gaming. If nothing else gets you off your chair to play Bastion, do it for the fantastic audio

08-31-2017, 06:51 PM
I've tried this one twice before and just couldn't get into it. Maybe third times the charm!
08-31-2017, 07:19 PM
Oh Awesome!

I'm currently playing Transistor, but Bastion is probably my favorite action RPG. I'll finish up Transistor and jump in on Bastion.
08-31-2017, 08:22 PM
Made it to the Bastion. Love the artwork in this game.
08-31-2017, 08:32 PM
BASTION!!!
Not to be confused with The Never Ending Story, though at times i wish this story wuz never ending📚📖📚
The Awesome Narrator helps 🖌 a 🎨 story.
I highly recomend this along with Transistor
08-31-2017, 09:48 PM
Hey Nullzone! Another one who's played as long as me. I get distracted by real life, as happened back at thr KOTOR play-along. But! My oldest son, a game dev himself, has been after me to finish Transistor and Bastion. So I'm diving in again!
08-31-2017, 09:57 PM
Happy to have a reason to get into this one. Grabbed it on sale forever ago and never got around to it. Canít think of a better time!
09-01-2017, 02:08 AM
Nice! I had no idea this were now an universal app! I actually bought it on ios before and then noticed after it was only for ipad. I haven't played it to it's completion yet, but I will hopefuly do this month ^^ Here's to hoping many decide to join in again! (And to me figuring out how to post screenshots here)
09-01-2017, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter9 View Post
Nice! I had no idea this were now an universal app! I actually bought it on ios before and then noticed after it was only for ipad. I haven't played it to it's completion yet, but I will hopefuly do this month ^^ Here's to hoping many decide to join in again! (And to me figuring out how to post screenshots here)
Oh wow, it's been universal for a while - I got it soon after I got my iPod Touch (which was a couple months before I signed up for TA).

I really enjoyed this game when I first played it, and I'll echo the previous post about the soundtrack being phenomenal. I'll be joining up for the replay just as soon as I finish up some trophy cleanup in Odin Sphere Liefthrasir.