The September 2017 RPG Reload Play-Along: Bastion

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Hello, gentle readers, and welcome to the RPG Reload Play-Along. Each month, we'll be playing an iOS RPG together, sharing laughs and tears in equal measures. The post on the front page is basically here to announce the game in question and give a few tips on getting started. The real action will be happening here in the TouchArcade forums, where you'll find a thread dedicated to each month's featured game. Sign up if you haven't already, post your screenshots, ask for advice, or just chat about your misadventures with others. We've got a great comunity of RPG fans here at TouchArcade, so let's make the most of it!

August is a busy month for many people, and that is perhaps as good an explanation as any for the somewhat muted reception to the Chrono Trigger Play-Along. We had our lowest turnout for a Play-Along yet, with the thread barely cracking the 50-post mark. Oh well, these things happen! One cool thing is that our very own Eric Ford participated in the Play-Along on Twitch, and he might just finish the game in time for the end of the month. You can do it, Eric! At any rate, it's high time we moved on to the next game, and since we've been doing JRPGs all summer, I thought it might be prudent to mix things up a little this time around. Thanks to everyone for participating in the August Play-Along, and I hope you'll join in again!

This month, we're entering the realm of action-RPGs with a Play-Along dedicated to Bastion, a stylish effort from Warner Bros. Interactive and Supergiant Games. The game debuted on the Xbox 360's Xbox Live Arcade service in July of 2011 and made its way to a wide variety of other platforms in the following years. Bastion arrived on iOS in August of 2012, and it proved to be a really good fit for the platform. While it's not a terribly long game, it is an interesting one. If you want to join in you should expect the game to take not much longer than 10 hours at most and perhaps a few hours less if you're quick.

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Nice, looks like this will be my first play-along to join, if time allows.

I'd like to add that - along with Transistor from the same devs - Bastion has some of the best voice acting and soundtrack I ever encountered in 35 years of gaming. If nothing else gets you off your chair to play Bastion, do it for the fantastic audio ;)

3. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I've tried this one twice before and just couldn't get into it. Maybe third times the charm!

4. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Oh Awesome!

I'm currently playing Transistor, but Bastion is probably my favorite action RPG. I'll finish up Transistor and jump in on Bastion.

5. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Made it to the Bastion. Love the artwork in this game.

6. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    BASTION!!!
    Not to be confused with The Never Ending Story, though at times i wish this story wuz never ending###
    The Awesome Narrator helps # a # story.
    I highly recomend this along with Transistor

7. dancingcrane

dancingcrane Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2016
    Hey Nullzone! Another one who's played as long as me. I get distracted by real life, as happened back at thr KOTOR play-along. But! My oldest son, a game dev himself, has been after me to finish Transistor and Bastion. So I'm diving in again!

8. borb86

borb86 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Happy to have a reason to get into this one. Grabbed it on sale forever ago and never got around to it. Can’t think of a better time!

9. Winter9

Winter9 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Nice! I had no idea this were now an universal app! I actually bought it on ios before and then noticed after it was only for ipad. I haven't played it to it's completion yet, but I will hopefuly do this month ^^ Here's to hoping many decide to join in again! (And to me figuring out how to post screenshots here)

10. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Oh wow, it's been universal for a while - I got it soon after I got my iPod Touch (which was a couple months before I signed up for TA).

I really enjoyed this game when I first played it, and I'll echo the previous post about the soundtrack being phenomenal. I'll be joining up for the replay just as soon as I finish up some trophy cleanup in Odin Sphere Liefthrasir.

11. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Kid got the platinum in Odin Sphere, so he made his way on over to the Reload. Started a New Game instead of a New Game Plus to get the full experience.

Kid got to the Bastion pretty fast, considerin' he equipped the first two ranged weapons he saw. That first big ol' Gasbag was a bit of a problem to put down with dual peashooters, but he got the job done. Should have kept his old friend the hammer around, though. First thing he built in the Bastion was an armory so he could rectify that situation.

12. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Would everyone narrate their play through like this? The kid wasn't sure but thought if they did the thread would turn out ok.

13. merrickal

merrickal Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Loved this game when it was on the PC and was instabought once the sale came round.
    But coming from the pc to mobile, the virtual controls put me off from playing it on the iPad.

Since it's been years since I played this game, and everyone's going this play-along. It's a good time as any to give the mobile version a second chance I think.

14. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I agree that the controls aren't great. I definitely like the classic controls better than the touch to move but once I started using my Mfi controller it was like playing a different game.

15. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    I agree, this game feels like it would be a lot better with an actual controller. Unfortunately the only iOS controller I have is iPod/Phone specific and Bastion doesn't play nice with my Touch 5. (It will run, but I already know I won't be able to clear the final area because it'll crash in a specific spot. So, I'm playing on my iPad instead with the virtual controls.)

I'll have an update on my progress later.

16. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Kid picked up a handful of cores today. The Bastion's come alive with a forge, a distillery, and a monument. Kid ain't got much use for the distillery yet - he's still a lightweight that can't handle more than two drinks at a time. Should have spent more time at the Sole Regret before the Calamity hit.

Peashooters are a lot more viable now that he's spent some time at the Slinger target range. More potency from the Forge meant even the statue of ol' Pyth went down in a hail of bullets. He's been sticking to his guns, so to speak, as they've grown more powerful. The hammer makes a nice companion in case of Gasbags, but not much else. Bow's been strung up real nice, but he's largely left it at home.

Kid's been doing fine work with the trials he's found. First prize on all of them, 'cept the shield trial. Well, at least he got to try that one. Black Tonics can't save you in the trials; you have to rely on your own skills, and he ain't got the timing.

17. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    This was one of my first premium game purchases on iOS, and this will be my first time to fire it up on a phone ( 7+). Looking forward to revisiting the game.

18. W8rd3

W8rd3 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2017
    Human paper weight
    In a human dwelling
    This is my first playthrough, and I was curious if anyone had a preferred control style? Or favorite weapon combo?

19. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Welcome to the Play-a-long!

I'm using an MFi controller which is great if you have one. Before that I was using the classic controls. Didn't like the tap to move.

As far as weapons, it kind of changes as you get new ones. I used the machete first and then switched to the pike because it has great reach. Then I used the pistols until I got the musket and now I'm kind of liking the repeater. Just make sure you upgrade your weapon of choice as soon as possible.

20. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Touch-to-move and I didn't get along, so I went with classic controls. Seems to work OK as long as you keep it straight in your head where the dodge and block buttons are on your right.

As for weapons, I almost always go one melee / one ranged. The machete is nice, that's been my melee weapon of choice since I got it. The pistols kind of suck until you get the double damage upgrade, then they become viable. Musket's OK, but I haven't seen much damage out of it. I must have missed some upgrade materials for that one. Repeater is great once you get it.