★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Chess.com
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 28.1 MB
  • Version: 3.3.20
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Play chess with millions of players around the world - then improve your chess rating with lessons, videos, tactics puzzles, and more! Download the FREE Chess.com app now and experience chess like never before. Unlock your inner chess master today!

FEATURES
- Unlimited Free Play (Live/Blitz and Daily/Correspondence Games)
- 50,000+ Tactics Puzzles
- Free Lessons and Videos by Grandmasters
- Play & Analyze with Powerful Computer Engine
- Daily Articles by Top Authors and Coaches like IM Jeremy Silman
- Opening Explorer to Learn & Play the Right Openings
- Make Friends & Send Messages
- 20+ Gorgeous Themes for Boards, Pieces, & Backgrounds
- Detailed Performance Stats & Ratings
- Active Community Forum

ABOUT
Chess.com is #1 in online chess with million of members from around the globe. Chess.com is built by chess players and enthusiasts who really love chess, not just programmers tinkering around with chess.

Team: www.chess.com/about
Facebook: www.facebook.com/chess
Twitter: http://twitter.com/chesscom
YouTube: www.youtube.com/wwwchesscom
TwitchTV: www.twitch.com/chess

vicente.ramirezch's comments:
http://www.chess.com/play/iphone.html

10-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Send a message via AIM to onewithchaos
wow it sounds like it has everything all it needs is push but holy cow....and its free!! I'll give it a go, I'm really liking chess.

one of the best TBS games out there

10-29-2009, 12:22 PM
Weird. It asks permission to activate push notifications, appears in the notification settings list, but seems to rely on email notifications only. No badge, alert or push messages, despite all 3 being turned on.
10-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Chess.com is a big free chess correspondence cite.

So...if this app is good, it could blow Chess Elite out of the water...you know, 200 players vs. tens of thousands. Plus, the ability to analyze a game on the web tool if its too complicated to figure out your move on the iphone given the position.

I have briefly tested the app, and looks like its pretty much a home run for correspondence chess. Its certainly doenst spoon feed you user friendly guidance, so you have to play around and see what the app can do (& web site if your going to use that too).

The tactics problems are 3 per day, and I used my 3 without checking if there were levels or what. There dont seem to be tactical themes or anything. The problems dont even state the objective (i.e. mate in 3, win material, whatever). So you have to pick the best sequence of moves. You do get a rating based on whether you get them correct and how long they take you . . . maybe difficulty auto adjusts. Certainly 3 problems a day is not much, but I guess its something.

It doesnt look like you can play speed chess against humans on the iphone (you can on the web).

You can play against the computer, there are difficulty levels in the settings menu, I couldnt find them at first. Will have to spend more time to see how strong the computer is.

You can watch GM videos...I personally hate doing that, so I didnt check on the limits for non-paying members.

Looks like this may be the correspondence app that dethrones Chess Elite. I like the Chess Elite team, but that isnt a finished product, with no draw, no analysis, no chat, etc. This app looks to have all that, plus the ability to do moves on the computer as well, plus a much larger userbase.

Looks like you can only make 3 moves a day in any one of your (unlimited) number of games. Not a big deal, if your bored make more games.

I am ArtNJ if you want to challenge me.

Currently addicted to Clash Royale

Last edited by ArtNJ; 10-29-2009 at 03:03 PM.
12-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Seems to have push notification now, not sure how they added it since I dont recall an update.

Appologies to ChessElite but Chess.Com is vastly better and free. No marketing budget and no developers on here to talk = no attention I guess, but its the clearly superior product because: (1) everything works, including draws; (2) no unsolicited challenges that you have to manually delete and which make push notifications more annoying then informative; (3) free daily tactics problems; (4) a much larger (huge) player pool with accurate ratings for 90% of the players on there who have played a lot of games; (5) the ability to make your moves from the PC or iphone at your choice, with the PC having a very nice board where you can do pre-move analysis (i.e. figure out if I go here and he goes there, what does the board look like and what happens next); (6) time control choices that have teeth, not 14 days like chess elite; (7) saves your games allowing you to replay and analyze them later in proper fashion, not in some useless watch the replay mode. I realize chess elite is still working on some of the above, but other things they will never have, like Chess.com's huge player base and the ability to do moves on your PC if you chose.

12-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNJ View Post
Seems to have push notification now, not sure how they added it since I dont recall an update.

Appologies to ChessElite but Chess.Com is vastly better and free. No marketing budget and no developers on here to talk = no attention I guess, but its the clearly superior product because: (1) everything works, including draws; (2) no unsolicited challenges that you have to manually delete and which make push notifications more annoying then informative; (3) free daily tactics problems; (4) a much larger (huge) player pool with accurate ratings for 90% of the players on there who have played a lot of games; (5) the ability to make your moves from the PC or iphone at your choice, with the PC having a very nice board where you can do pre-move analysis (i.e. figure out if I go here and he goes there, what does the board look like and what happens next); (6) time control choices that have teeth, not 14 days like chess elite; (7) saves your games allowing you to replay and analyze them later in proper fashion, not in some useless watch the replay mode. I realize chess elite is still working on some of the above, but other things they will never have, like Chess.com's huge player base and the ability to do moves on your PC if you chose.

You're right Art, chess elite is working with a lot of these already and they will come out with all of the once stated above. 1.)manual draws work now, and with 1.3 coming out, an automatic draw will apply as well. 3-fold repitition and 20 move rule( forget what its called). 2.)This is an issue for chess elite, but you dont have to manually delete them, after 7 days they expire, but i agree they are a bit annoying. Maybe its a suggestion that the dedicated team will take into consideration. 3.) I think the daily tactic problems arent that good(comaring to shredder). Plus you're only allowed a few of them per day, this was a bit of a turnoff when I tried to dedicate a lunch break to puzzles. I also have shredder which i prefer over it. I know its a seperate application but I just dont like chess.com's interface for problems, but they are free, so a plus for chess.com. 4.) I think chess elite needs a break here. By now the player base is pretty big, and after this much time, many of the ratings are more or less accurate for player that play a lot. See what i did there? players that play a lot have a more accurate elo rating that should be obvious. But chess.com does have a huge user-base, not to mention the fact that it doesnt drain a battery as much. 5.)Dont forget the ability to play other mobile users not just iPhone. But to their credit chess.com is a lot more established. 6.)another good suggestion for chess elite, I'm sure if enough players ask for it, it will come. 7.)with 1.3 chess elite you will be able to properly play back and analyze games.....i agree with your points but i sense a lot of hostility towards chess elite. They will never have cross platform games, but they do have a large user base. Many of these players play regularly.

chess elite is not the best application for correspondence chess but it does a fine job at it. I tried chess.com myself, and i still prefer chess elite. Its a personal choice and I dont feel like I'm missing anything other than analysis mode. The move from pc for me is not that great since i cant play at work (blocked ) and at home i have my iPhone with wifi. So it's not really a HUGE plus, since I always have my iPhone with me. All in all, chess elite is still evolving and I'm sure chess.com will too. I don't know about vastly better, like i said I much personally prefer chess elite. the only downside for me is battery life and analysis mode. Both which the devs are looking into.

There was an update actually for chess.com which improves performance and crashes (it would crash at weird times).

I personally have shredder and chess elite and I'm loving it. Shredder is perfect for 1-1 against computer and puzzles and chess elite for correspondece. I feel like chess.com is lacking in terms of using the app. Shredder feels much smoother and responsive, not to mention the great coach that it has. It even has a new update for better engine.

If i had to rate I would give:
shredder a 4.5
chess elite a 3.5 (a few extras to work out like analysis mode and chat otherwise 4.5.
chess.com a 4 (4 is after update, a 3 before b/c it used to crash a lot with me)

obviously shredder is not correspondence but it's a near perfect app otherwise
12-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Wasnt really trying to bash Chess Elite, it was just the only real comparitor since I dont have Chess with Friends and understand it still doesnt have ratings. Chess Elite looks nicer and cleaner then Chess.com, and a lot of the features of chess.com are geared to the serious chess player, so Chess Elite is a reasonable choice for the casual player (if the free/paid issue isnt important). Obviously, my preference is clear, but I may be a bit biased since I use certain features that many casual players would not.

As far as problems go, I agree the Chess.com ones arent anything special. Chesstempo.com has an iphone app on the to-do list, and once they have that, it will be the go-to app for problems. Unfortunately, I get the impression its not that high up on the to-do list so there may be a wait for it. Currently, I dont do problems on the iphone, because chesstempo.com in the evenings meets my needs (its free by the way, check it out).

Last edited by ArtNJ; 12-09-2009 at 12:52 PM.
12-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Wasnt really trying to bash Chess Elite, it was just the only real comparitor since I dont have Chess with Friends and understand it still doesnt have ratings.

As far as problems go, I agree the Chess.com ones arent anything special. Chesstempo.com has an iphone app on the to-do list, and once they have that, it will be the go-to app for problems. Unfortunately, I get the impression its not that high up on the to-do list so there may be a wait for it.
You should really check out shredder Art. Granged its not correspondence but it's a beautiful app. Its extremely well polished. I think it was on sale for $5 for thanksgiving i dont know if thats still the case. I paid $10 for it And i dont regret it at all
12-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewithchaos View Post
You should really check out shredder Art. Granged its not correspondence but it's a beautiful app. Its extremely well polished. I think it was on sale for $5 for thanksgiving i dont know if thats still the case. I paid $10 for it And i dont regret it at all
I'm definitely tempted, as all I have on the PC right now is Fritz 8, which is 404 MB and slow to load. Shredder on the iphone could probably take care of my analysis needs. Also, Fritz 8 is also not very good at dumming down for my kids.

How does Shredder do on lower difficulty settings? My kids are 850 and 1030 ELO or so.

12-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Quote:
I'm definitely tempted, as all I have on the PC right now is Fritz 8, which is 404 MB and slow to load. Shredder on the iphone could probably take care of my analysis needs. Also, Fritz 8 is also not very good at dumming down for my kids.

How does Shredder do on lower difficulty settings? My kids are 850 and 1030 ELO or so.
It is beautiful on lower difficutly, you can manually set the difficulty. I wishi t had profiles but i dont need it since i'm the only one that uses it. It does make errors, adjusts elo-score. Has a great analysis, even does its own analysis to show best moves and so on. It's small on the iPhone but it loads like a dream and auto-saves. You can also save games (havent tried ) and e-mail games, load games too (from previously saved games) Let me run a quick test at a low elo rating right now on my break and i'll get back to you with better results.